I have replaced 4 O'Reilly Alternators in 3 weeks

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
On my Range Rover. I don't drive it a lot. Its not a commuter, it mostly sits. I had an original GM alternator on it for about a year, and then the bearings finally went out. Since then I have had 4 O'Reilly alternators on it. Are they just garbage or what. I'm sure my wiring is completely fine, I have checked it a few times. I even bought the most expensive alternator for my engine but its just as craptacular as the others.

When I had my 6.0 Powerstroke I went through 4 alternators in 2 weeks from O'Reilly's.

Is there anyone that make a good alternator anymore. One that isn't made in Mexico or China? I'm so sick of garbage.

Kevin B.

Big hippy
I've played that game. The stock alternator on the Wiferunner lasted, what, 18 years? When it finally let go down in GSE I had to put an O'Reilly unit on it to get home because that was the only one withon a hundred miles. I've had to replace that unit twice since, I'm on my third now and it seems to be holding but there won't be a fourth, lifetime warranty or not.

When I had to replace the F150's alternator I wanted a Denso but NAPA couldn't find one for me so I took one of their house brand units (not a reman) and it's been ok so far. But I think if you want a truly reliable alt you've got to pay to play and you have to go OEM. Which in most cases I think is Denso or Bosch. And if you're starting with an OEM alt that's finally given up the ghost, find a good generator shop and have them rebuild it (this doesn't work if you're in the middle of the Burr Trail when it goes :D). Sometimes they'll even wind a few extra amps into it, I've done that twice with Henstrom Generator on 33rd and was happy each time. They have a couple day turnaround so it's not always an option either.

But yeah, I tend to favor the O'Reillys by my house over the Autozone, but no more O'Reillys alternators. Done with that.