I just opened a Roth IRA, and am ready to invest in the stock market

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I really wish I had a concrete idea of what to expect on when I need to sell and if I should sell it all etc.
Obviously that’s the nature of the beast but dude I’m pretty sure the stress is taking years off of my life haha

Ask your buddy what he really expects. Obviously it’s not financial advice. We like the stock.
Sell it. You’ve made some cash. Take your profit and move on

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I really wish I had a concrete idea of what to expect on when I need to sell and if I should sell it all etc.
Obviously that’s the nature of the beast but dude I’m pretty sure the stress is taking years off of my life haha

Ask your buddy what he really expects. Obviously it’s not financial advice. We like the stock.
That's the thing,no one knows because this is a huge anomaly. So even an educated guess could be way off.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
So is there a way for small investors to short sell and make money off of the drop when this goes off a cliff?
I'm an idiot so don't listen to me. I sold some options on stock betting it would go higher. Mine have all been covered call's.
I had 100 shares of xx that I bought at $20 per share. I sold options for $3 per share with a strike price of $30.
If the stock goes to $40 the buyer can call the option and I had to sell 100 shares to them for $30. The likely hood of the stock hitting $40 is what drives the cost basis, ($3). If the stock never broke $30, the option expires and I keep the shares and the $300 from the option.
The same thing exists in a Put I believe for falling stock price. The cost basis on a put or short for GME right now is really high. So you'd pay a lot to short it. Again, that's my crude understanding.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
That's the thing,no one knows because this is a huge anomaly. So even an educated guess could be way off.
For sure. I just wonder what actual experts think. I hope they have a much better idea than I do of what to expect.

I think my initial plan needs to be getting to 2x (again haha) and cashing out half to cover my investment and then ride it a little longer to try and get some real $$$... I just want to have a PLAN!

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I have to ask (maybe I'm too stock market stupid) but if this is such a huge flaw in the market, then why hasn't a foreign nation leveraged it and crashed everything in past decade? Seems like a pretty obvious flaw...

Just late night thoughts.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I have to ask (maybe I'm too stock market stupid) but if this is such a huge flaw in the market, then why hasn't a foreign nation leveraged it and crashed everything in past decade? Seems like a pretty obvious flaw...

If I had to take a stab in the dark, I would say they probably are part of the funding for these hedge funds. They make money from it.

Just my thoughts with no actual facts.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
If I had to take a stab in the dark, I would say they probably are part of the funding for these hedge funds. They make money from it.

Just my thoughts with no actual facts.
yea I'm just catiously curious if there's a narrative being formed here... Like are they gonna use this as a guise for something sinister? I guess time will tell.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped

Who's to say this wasn't foreign nationals.... :spork: ;)

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
It was all fun and games while you stuck it to the man.. but now you effers are killing my conservative investments.
My ESPP is down too. It's a bummer but also I'M HOLDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Yes I feel like that's a completely appropriate number of exclamation points)

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
I will stick with my original post. Stock markets are a gamble with a fictitious value set by those that have billions of dollars. I bought real estate because it is a physical possession and not a fictitious thing.