I just opened a Roth IRA, and am ready to invest in the stock market

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
WOW! That was a good year. 4-12-2020 to 4-12-2021

59.0% 401k

5.78% so far this year.

Similar #'s here.

61.67% from 4-12-20 through 4-12-21. (This is skewed of course due to the big, hairy, ugly dip from Feb-Mar of 2020 due to the covid). If I remove the covid dip from the equation, I'd be at roughly ~24% return.

6.39% year to date

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
In other news, GameStop has just announced they are looking for a new CEO. Perhaps they'll choose someone from WallStreetBets?
Ryan Cohen was just made chairman last week and the speculation is that he may be CEO as well. We'll see

N-Smooth

I’ve bought and sold a few times now. I just keep getting dragged back in. #ilikethestock

N-Smooth

I said WTH and bought 5 shares today
Looks like you picked a good day to buy.

I've been working really hard at figuring out when to sell and re-group. I just sold some for $400 profit and will buy again during the next dip. It's hard to sell when it's going up but with the volatility it's the only way I get anything done.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Looks like you picked a good day to buy.

I've been working really hard at figuring out when to sell and re-group. I just sold some for $400 profit and will buy again during the next dip. It's hard to sell when it's going up but with the volatility it's the only way I get anything done.
All I did yesterday was bring my average down from $154 on 5 shares to having a $145 average on 10 shares on my TDA account. I am still at $254 average on 6 shares on my RH account. I have only put what I am willing to throw away at it, so I have not even looked at selling it when I have been up. I will either sell it if it ever 🚀 or kiss it goodbye when it 🍆💩

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Not long ago, I said:

Late last year, I read an article by a fellow investor (whose strategy I generally agree with) who talked about trimming some of your winning dividend stocks (ie, those which had seen steep capital appreciation) in order to then reinvest those profits into other dividend payers which are a better value. He went on and on about how this can help bolster your dividend income in the long run, and it made sense... even though this was a concept which I had never intended to employ. "What the hell," I told myself. "Maybe I'll try it just once." I sold three of my shares of CINF, and spent that money buying two more shares of IBM. (At that time, the 3 CINF sold for the same total price as the 2 IBM shares cost--it was a lateral move financially.) This swap gained me an additional ~$1.50 in dividends each quarter--not earth shaking, but I just wanted to try this new philosophy and see how things went.

I am kicking myself for this move.

The more I think about this, the more I realize I have no reason to be kicking myself over this move. My primary goal for this account is to create passive dividend income; capital appreciation is a secondary goal at best. If the above move increases the dividend income, then it is a positive thing.

Lately I have been noticing that CINF has continued to go up in share price... steeply. For that matter, so has AFL. This has caused both dividend yields to come down significantly since the time I bought them, meaning these stocks could be seen as overpriced and not on sale like they were when I bought them.

Being a Roth IRA, I am extremely limited in the amount of money I can contribute to this account... but I am free to re-arrange my holdings and use any capital gains to my advantage. Doing some quick math, I realized that if I liquidate my entire positions in CINF and AFL, I would have enough funds to replace them with full positions in two better-valued companies, increasing my dividend income, plus I could buy a full position in yet another company, even further increasing my income. This seemed like a solid plan, so yesterday morning I spent some time putting it into action. After selling off all my CINF and AFL shares, I spent a grand each on UNM (another financial company I've been eyeing) and STOR (a REIT I've wanted to buy for a while now). Looking over my entire account, I used the remaining funds to fill out my holding in ED to a full-size (~$1000) portion, plus I bought one more share of VZ to do the same.

With my last couple hundred bucks, I decided to dip my toe into the energy sector. I kinda worry about all the energy companies, but there are some guys online who build a compelling case for the future of a select few of these companies, including OKE. I figured I could afford to 'gamble' $200 and bought four shares. We'll see how this one does over time.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Things have kind of interesting the last couple of days. The talk on Wallstreet bets is that the Hedgies are going to try and push AMC to $50 to try and get people to sell. Who knows......maybe the squeeze 🚀 will happen or it will still be a flop🍆

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
I max out my Roth IRA every year, but that's as far as I go with stocks. I don't understand the market, and just know, for certain, that I would choose the losing horse 10/10 times. So I just try to load enough bucks into savings that I can live off the interest.

I made $3 this year on passive income that way, so off to a good start.