I Love The '80s, -OR- we induct a friend into the Roadkill lifestyle

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
(I share this story here because I thought it might give some of you a good chuckle.)

As I've said many times, my friend Mike and I are co-workers. Well, we have a newish co-worker, Ryan (he's been with us 8 or 9 months). Ryan is hilarious to hang out with and an all-around great guy, but he knows zero about wrenching on cars. Zero. He sees Mike and I and all of our car adventures, and he constantly marvels, "wow--I wish I could do that." It's easy, we tell him. Just buy a car and dive in--that's how you learn. That's how we learned. But he has always been hesitant. Meanwhile, he drives everywhere in his trusty little Kia Soul.

A couple Saturdays ago late in the afternoon, things get a bit quiet on the showroom. Ryan decides to take a new WRX for a test drive since he's never actually driven one except for across the parking lot. He comes back, and he is positively beaming. "Wow, that was fun! I ought to buy one of those." Immediately, Mike and I jump in. No, no, no. If you wanna have fun with a fast car, don't buy anything new. Instead, join our club: buy an old car and build it into whatever you want. "Yeah, but I have no idea what to do or how to do it." No problem--we'll help you. Here, let's start right now by finding you a cheap car to buy.

And with that, the three of us sat down and each one of us began scouring the KSL classifieds. Mike laid the ground rules: any GM brand is okay, so long as it is RWD and at least offered a V8 engine option. Between us we look through hundreds of ads, testing to see what Ryan likes and doesn't like. Some things we think he might like he totally rejects (such as a clean 1980 Firebird); some things he likes but so does everybody and thus the price is way too high (like a '70 Nova SS). On and on we go, with Ryan rejecting everything we show him. But then I find an ad for a car that I positively love (at least in concept), so I innocently ask aloud, "say, how do you feel about a wagon?" Turns out he likes that idea, and asks what I found. I show him the ad, and immediately he is in love.

It's a 1988 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser in yellow beige with no woodgrain. (Sorry--like a dolt I completely forgot to save the photo from the ad.)

Ad says the engine is seized but the interior and exterior are very good, and the list price is $700. We contact the seller and find out he can't meet us until Monday night. So Monday after work, the three of us pile into Mike's Suburban (with trailer attached) and head north to check it out. On the way, Mike coaches Ryan on some of the finer points of price negotiation. We do find out that Ryan is mentally fine with spending the full $700 asking price, and he has that much cash with him. He is trusting the two of us to verify the car is solid and worth buying, so we're kinda all in this together.

When we arrive, the second we get out of the Suburban and lay eyes on the wagon, Mike quickly (and very quietly) tells Ryan, "this is easily worth their asking price." I proceed to crawl under it with a flashlight, and everything is solid. In fact, there is hardly a spec of rust anywhere on it. One or two small scrapes, but Mike surmises a couple hours with a buffer could make the paint shine like new. The interior is damn near mint--no seat rips, only one dash crack, and we are overjoyed to see the rear-facing third row seat option. By now, all three of us are salivating over the thing. After our extended check-over, we tell Ryan if he gets the car for anything less than their list price, it's a win. After a couple minutes of talking, he gets them to accept $600 and they sign over the title.

Now we just need to load the 4200-lb behemoth onto Mike's trailer. It barely fits.

Z4vpyE8.jpg

cVkntkv.jpg

We happily tow it to our car farm (aka, Mike's back yard), and carefully unload it into an open spot. I went by the next day to get more photos in the daylight. Again, the body is pretty solid all around.

EMUzNue.jpg

5j3n8AH.jpg

PR3padv.jpg

Ryan is over the moon about the flawless bench seat interior.

EjYH690.jpg

One of my personal favorites is the optional extra gauge package this car has. I know that Oldsmobile never used the word Rallye in reference to the wagon's gauges, but in some other cars GM would often refer to the optional upgrade as the Rallye gauges. For that reason, I keep calling this the optional Rallye Fun Pack:

nlj0KEz.jpg

We are all completely excited about this. We won't even bother trying to diagnose the dead 307 4bbl engine. It will simply get yanked, and we'll install something better in its place. Another co-worker has a Gen VI 454 sitting in his garage, so that is our top contender at the moment. We don't expect the wagon's stock 200-4R transmission to live behind a big block so we'll probably also swap in a 4L80E while we're at it. We'll see.

Oh, the fun we're going to have.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Can I round out your crew to 4? I'd love to do something like that but like your new co-worker wouldn't really know where to start or what was worth spending a few dollars on.

Last edited:

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Dave ended up offering his 454 to Ryan for $200, so that is a definite green light for using that engine. With that decision made, we planned to haul it to Mike's place. If we luck out and it is in relatively good shape, we can just dingleball hone it in his shed, then assemble and drop it in the wagon. Ryan is so eager to drive the car, we've decided to buy an adapter and bolt the 454 to the car's 200-4R trans just so we can get it running right away. We'll upgrade the transmission and rear axle later as the need arises. (Mike is planning to pull the 4L80E out of his ElCo and replace it with a manual, so we'll have a suitable trans available for Ryan eventually.)

In other news, here is a good picture of the wheels on the car:
dNS2EGO.jpg

These remind me of Vectors--one of my favorite wheel designs ever--so I really like them. When you look closely, you see these things have an awful lot of metal. I bet they weigh a ton (just like the Regal T-Type alloys on my GP).

Also, I took a photo of the dash just to show it is all there and all original. Sorry about the sun which was setting outside the windshield.
KFeMzvd.jpg

Mike and I love the response of the 454s in our respective cars. Mike has a 3.50 axle ratio, and I have a 3.55 ratio. Since the Custom Cruiser is a bit heavier than either of us, I initially suggested we go a bit deeper and install something in the 3.73-3.92 range. But then I thought about how the wagon's current 255/60-15s are taller than my car's 235/60-15s. If Ryan ran 3.73 gears, he would be essentially equal to my 3.55s. Not good enough. So now I'm definitely suggesting 3.92s. (Mike is pushing for 4.10s.) Oh, and we will definitely suggest Ryan install a Detroit TrueTrac limited slip like I have in the GP--that thing is awesome.

Being so large, I figured GM would have installed a fairly strong axle under there... but Mike thinks it is a plain old 10-bolt. No good. Thankfully, Mike has a couple of random Ford 9" rear ends sitting around his property and we think one of them might even be the right width. That should be a pretty simple swap when the need arises.

Right after the purchase was made, I secretly ordered Ryan a pair of Walley World decals.
il_794xN.2020697240_5jck.jpg

:)

Pile of parts

I always thought that a retro-modded giant station wagon would be a cool family vehicle. This'll be interesting to see come along.

You'll be in good company if you listen to some LIMP Bizkit while you're wrenching as well. :D

Here's another one to check into to.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
The only thing that will make those wheels, on that car, look any better is the SMOKE bellowing out after the engine swap!

No doubt.

The other day, Mike and I finally crawled under the car to get a look at the rear axle. It appears to be an 8.5 after all, which means it ought to be sufficiently strong for what we have planned. Good--we just saved Ryan some time and money.

Next up, the 454. Ryan borrowed his father's Titan and drove it to Mike's place so they could load the Off Road Engine Hoist into the bed. From there, they drove to Dave's place (where I met up with them) and loaded the big block into the bed.

1Gp9SOT.jpg

mZm8fu3.jpg

Once the engine was in place, we squoze the child-bearing hips of the hoist around it and then tossed in the various accessories and such that came with the engine (along with my engine stand Dave had been borrowing). We headed out for Mike's place in our two vehicles, but almost immediately I got a call from Mike. His tiny shed is pretty full and cluttered right now, so why not drop the 454 at my place and do the rebuild in my garage? I didn't mind this idea, but I told Mike we'd need to remove his dead L05 V8 (leftover from engine swapping his Corvette a month ago) from my garage if we were gonna leave the 454. Deal. So we detoured to my place and did the engine switcheroo.

VTRt15F.jpg

Now with the big block comfortably stashed away, we proceeded on to Mike's place for the day's main event: yanking the dead 307 from the wagon. We pulled the car forward a few feet, then put the nose on ramps for easier access to the underbelly. Our plan was to leave the transmission in the car and only remove the engine itself.

8FW2Jf0.jpg

p7l5eii.jpg

At one point, Mike removed the distributor cap in preparation of removing the distributor itself. When he did, he was startled by what he saw:

g5eI5xt.jpg

Remember: we bought this car from someone who said it didn't run, and we took delivery of it from the mechanic shop where they had towed it. We just assumed the engine was totally dead, and we made no attempt to get it running. The seller's son had said in the ad that the engine was seized, so we had just left it at that. While unbolting the torque converter, Mike did notice that the engine rotated nice and smoothly, just like a healthy engine would. Now that he saw the cap, he turned to Ryan and said, "this alone would absolutely prevent the car from running." Now we wondered if maybe we could have resurrected it. Oh, well, who wants a 140 HP slug of an engine in their battle wagon? Not us. We've got better plans for this car. Onward, ho!

Once everything underneath was disconnected, it came off the ramps. Time to start lifting.

trFCMp9.jpg

wjZEKXg.jpg

Up above, you saw me reference the Off Road Engine Hoist. This is our name for Mike's old hoist, because of one simple modification. As you may have noticed, Mike has no concrete on his property--it's all dirt, grass, and a little bit of gravel. Those tiny steel hoist wheels don't roll well in any of that, so a couple years ago I suggested he replace those wheels with pneumatic ones. He had to do a little welding on the front legs to make the tires point straight, but that worked well. On the rear, he bought some pivoting caster tires so we could retain some steering ability. However, there was some problem and those rear wheels kept giving him fits. Finally in a moment of rage, he removed the rear tires, reinstalled the tiny steel ones, then turned the rear legs upside down so as to just drag the rear steel 'beams' across his yard. This is not at all convenient or easy when you have 500+ pounds hanging from the hoist.

So in this moment, we decided to work smarter, not harder. Once the engine was high enough to clear the wagon's nose, we hooked up Mike's ATV winch (which we use to pull dead cars onto his trailer) and used that to drag the hoist across the yard. This worked very well.

Am05CFv.jpg

We then dropped the engine onto Mike's trailer and called it a day. He dumped it at MCR the following afternoon.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Major score with that bum distributor causing them to think it was seized.

I can't wait for more of this tale.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I'm fascinated by the Car Farm...

Myself, I'm extremely jealous. I'd love to have a similar plot of land behind me home, though even then it would not be as good as his setup. What's better than the size of it is its precise location. Even though he is in the heart of the city, this side yard is bordered on one side by a very small office park, on another side by an RV/trailer storage lot, and on the remaining third side by a street. Thanks to his fence with privacy slats, passing traffic sees nothing going on inside... and there is nobody next door in any direction to complain. It's like living way out in the country, but with all the conveniences of living down town.

More progress

Last Saturday night after work, we met at my place to tear down the 454 and take some measurements. After pulling the heads, lifters and oil pan, we just spun the engine to look everything over--nothing bad showed up at all. After checking multiple cylinders, we found the bore size was still stock. There is hardly any ring ridge whatsoever.

We then pulled one piston and rod combo so we could measure the journal and rod. They, too, were stock size. I don't know how many miles are on this engine, but it's nice to see it has never been rebuilt and is in good health. There was still quite a bit of cross hatch on the cylinder walls, and the bearings we examined didn't show much wear at all.

Ryan is so excited to get this engine rebuilt.
djlwiGf.jpg

It looks like our plan of doing a simple dingleball cleanup hone and installing fresh rings and bearings is all this engine really needs. Woo-hoo!

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
We got together at my garage on Tuesday and finished dismantling the engine. When we removed the first rod earlier, Mike got a bit too eager and just barely scuffed one tiny spot on the crankshaft. Oops. The local machine shop will only charge us $70 to polish the crank, so this was no major catastrophe.

This time, Ryan and I were much more cautious and managed to remove the remaining 7 connecting rods without causing any harm. Mike and I then explained Ryan's options for cleaning the block. We could clean it so-so ourselves (and get messy in the process), but the real pain would be installing new camshaft bearings. If he wanted to really cheap out, we could do it the Sloppy Mechanics way and just stab the new cam into the old bearings. The best way, of course, would be to have the block professionally tanked and inspected, and then have new cam bearings installed professionally. Ryan had me call and price this out. The block cleaning/inspection is only $75, and another $60 to install his new bearings. Ryan felt this would be $135 well spent.

And with that, we loaded the dirty bare block into his dad's truck to haul to the machine shop along with the bare crank.
4ZD9qJA.jpg

We are hoping to make time next week to begin the bottom end assembly with all the new parts Ryan just received from Summit Racing. :)

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Exciting stuff. Overhauling an engine is one of the most satisfying learning experiences I've ever had. That first fire-up is emotional.