I need a trailer repair shop. Suggestions?

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Get the highest load rated tires you can find for your rim size.

This sounds like great advice, of course. These tires are load range C. I just ordered a replacement set of load range D.

My current spare tire is as old as the trailer tires (though it is a different brand), but it has never been used. Maybe I'll hold onto the two good tires from the trailer and keep them as additional backup spares. Or would it be bad to mix two different load range tires, even if only temporarily?

I've had a few trailer nightmares on my heavy fifth wheel trailer. I finally ordered in some 19.5 wheels on that Father's Day eBay coupon and I also ordered new Sailun 225/70R19.5 LR G 14 ply truck tires. These are rated at 3900 lbs each, so I'm hoping my bad trailer tire experiences are over with.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Oh, hey--I guess I left you all hanging and forgot to report... the rest of the story. </Paul Harvey>

For the record, my originals were Power King Towmax tires, C1 load rating, size 205/75-15. As I looked around the web, I saw a great number of horror stories about how awful these cheap Chinese tires are. My experience was exactly the opposite (until now, anyway). For five years, they treated me great. Was I unusually lucky? Maybe it's because I would check and inflate them to 50 psi before every use? Perhaps it's because I would never exceed 70 MPH while towing (except for those rare occasions when I had to keep up with Brett as he blasted across I-80 in Nevada)? I have no idea.

I took Jeremy's advice and ordered a set of load range D1 tires in my same size; I ended up choosing the Carlisle Radial Trail HD. I found a number of good reports about them in various forums and such. Icing on the cake, there was a sale at Discount Tire which got me $100 off any set of 4 tires that their site rates Best, which applied to these. They were shipped to my home, at which point I slowly towed the trailer across town to have the local DT install them for me. Once they were on, the trailer immediately went back to its former smooth operation.

I am planning a quick Moab trip in a few weeks, so I decided a shakedown run was in order. Last Tuesday I loaded up and towed my Jeep out to 5MP to run the snakes with a co-worker. Everything went perfectly, so I am confident this was my entire problem. I feel ready to head to Moab.

FWIW, the worst disasters I have had with trailer tires was with Power King Towmax earlier this year. Just another data point, but there are a lot of stories out there.