I need to be schooled in SXS's

SLC97SR5

IDIesel
We are looking to purchase our first UTV. We will be doing mostly trail riding with a few trips to the dunes and Sand Hollow.

I really don't know anything about the different manufactures, accessories or options.

We are looking for (2) four seaters and (1) two seater.

I would like to stay with the same manufacturer for all 3 machines but if the RZR 2 seater is awesome and the Teryx 4 is great then I'm ok with that as well.

Initially I really like the General 4 but I'm always skeptical of 1st year models.

So please fire away and direct me to what I need to know and the best place to learn it.

Renegade and Full Throttle are our local dealers, any advice there?

Thanks!

D

Deleted member 12904

I've owned a rhino it was good fun at the time. No complaints on Yamaha.
next I owned a TERYX never again will I own a Kawasaki side by side. Poor layout, very loud with the engine between the seats, everything was a pain to work on, lacking in power and suspension.
Now I've had a rzr 4 1000 for 6 months and have some complaints on stuff like driveline vibration and some weird rattling I can't track down but overall sooooooooooo much better than anything Kawasaki offers and I wouldn't trade it for any other 4 seater on the market currently.

Corban_White

I recommend renting a few different ones to try them out before you buy. There are tons of options on KSL in the recreational vehicle rental section. For the RZR I like TRAX powersports in Bountiful. I've rented a couple different times from them and had a good experience.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
If you are wanting something more sporty than utility I think Can Am is starting to build something that is competitive with the Polaris and I have always been a fan of the Rotax motor. The biggest difference you may want consider in purchase decision is aftermarket support. While Can Am is starting to get more, there is a ton out there for the Polaris and that is why I am looking at Polaris 1000's right now. Arctic Cat quality and dependability is way below anything else on the market. If you are wanting something more utility based, there are a lot of good options out there.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
IMO, I have owned two RZR's and probably won't buy another. Their quality is very lacking. I purchased a YXZ100 SS SE this year and can't not even began to tell you how much fun this ride is. The build of their cars is top notch, you won't fine a better ride (stock). I could go on and on, but you decide.

PS, the Can Am X is getting terrible reviews.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I've heard good things about the YXZ, but it's only available in 2 seater for now. The manual transmission is a huge plus IMO

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
The only knock I have heard anyone say about the YXZ is the clutches and gearing do not do well in Moab running the more technical trails.

SLC97SR5

IDIesel
Thanks guys, keep it coming.

I'm a Toyota guy. I am accustomed to their reliability, serviceability and aftermarket support. (Opinions may vary) :)

Is there a UTV manufacturer that has those things going for them?

What are the different drive types, ie: who uses belts, shafts, CVT, hydro?

What forum is the RME, Pirate of SXS's?

I've met several guys that have say a Yamaha 2 seater and a Polaris 4...that seems odd to me that there doesn't appear to be aggressive brand loyalty. Is that the case?

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
The only knock I have heard anyone say about the YXZ is the clutches and gearing do not do well in Moab running the more technical trails.
Ya this was a bad factor when I bought mine. I could still crawl.... fair, but not like the RZR. My YXZ was bought to run, we play in the sand a lot. I did however but a $200.00 heavy flywheel and put it on, wow,,,, what a difference that single part made. I played with it at Delle a few weeks ago and it made a huge difference.
One thing to keep in mind with the YZX, it does not have a low range.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Thanks guys, keep it coming.

I'm a Toyota guy. I am accustomed to their reliability, serviceability and aftermarket support. (Opinions may vary) :)

Is there a UTV manufacturer that has those things going for them?

What are the different drive types, ie: who uses belts, shafts, CVT, hydro?

What forum is the RME, Pirate of SXS's?

I've met several guys that have say a Yamaha 2 seater and a Polaris 4...that seems odd to me that there doesn't appear to be aggressive brand loyalty. Is that the case?
Go to Plaza Cycle, they have both the YXZ and the RZR and also a General. Look close at the suspension parts. Get in each one, the YXZ has a cockpit style seating, I'm 6'4" and love the seating in the YXZ vs RZR.
Research the YXZ and where the motor and trany came from :)

As I mentioned above, I run the dune a lot. RZr 4 seaters are defendant the choice of many. When I was there last UEA there were two of us YXZ's, I must say I turned a few heads. My only mod to upgrade the power was a WR Full exhaust. I may or may not be as fast or faster than the RZR1000, but I can guarantee you that my ride is a lot fun-er.

Think of it this way, and this is why I like my YXZ, when driving you have to shift, being interactive with the machine is soooo much more fun than just pushing on the throttle. Also, my suspension is so far superior than the RZR, please keep in mind that I have the SE version with the better shocks. Slapping trough the gears and hauling through the whoops, ya,,, that is new and exciting.

Remember, this in my opinion.

lhracing

I bought a 2015 2 seat RZR XP 1000 about 1 1/2 years ago and have not had any problems, not one. It has about 1300 miles on it and still has the original belt. I do almost all my riding on trails including Moab which I am amazed at how well it does there. I think that every year they continue to improve the machines and their reliability. In my opinion the RZR is the standard that the other manufactures are trying to compete with.

Caleb

A few threads down, I had the same question https://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?111451-SXS-which-one

I ended up going with the Rzr XP4 1000 and don't regret it one bit. It's been way more fun than I thought it would be. I also looked real hard at the Generals, but I wanted a bit more sporty so the Rzr won. If you're looking for utility with a little sport, the General would be an easy pick. Plus the General is a bit cheaper as well. It also has deeper gearing, so if you think you'll be crawling a lot, it may be a better choice. Although the rzr will crawl just fine as well.

I think in a couple years, the new CanAm may be a contender, but for now they only have the 2 seater and it's gotten mixed reviews.

Corban_White

We rented a turbo 4, turbo 2 and a 1000xp4 a few months back. They were all fun but the turbo 2 was a rocket! And the 2017 has 24 MORE HP! :D:D:D:D Sooooooo much fun to drive. Scary to ride in (with someone else driving).

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
A reflash of the computer on the 16 will give you an extra 35 hp and gets rid of the pedal delay. But you quickly find the next weakest link when you do it.

D

Deleted member 12904

This is my one complaint about my 17 Rzr XP4. The pedal delay is ridiculous. I wonder if it's possible to get rid of it on the non-turbo models.
A reflash and clutch kit tuned to clutch at 8500 rpm will do it.