I need to be schooled in SXS's

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I like that you’re just goin’ for it. 🤘 The theory/math works, I’m just interested to see how it looks loaded on your rig. SRW, yes?

Yeah, which makes my flat bed 7’ wide. If I was a dually, the bed would be 8’, and I’d only hang off 3” on each side. No one would even think twice about that. But I will be hanging 9” off each side. I am slightly afraid that I may draw unwanted attention from the highway patrol.

Tonkaman

Yeah, which makes my flat bed 7’ wide. If I was a dually, the bed would be 8’, and I’d only hang off 3” on each side. No one would even think twice about that. But I will be hanging 9” off each side. I am slightly afraid that I may draw unwanted attention from the highway patrol.
Can’t you legally be 10’ wide??

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I made some more progress today on my rack.
13955E96-D631-4A41-9C6D-DC6E04F87737.jpeg

All welded up and ready for a test fit.

I’m not going to lie. The first drive on was pretty scary. But they both fit, load fairly easily. Truck seems to handle the weight.

B22E22E5-B2E4-42D1-B0C2-815B418D1285.jpeg

Still not sure how I want to secure it to the truck. But I’ll get it figured out.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I was trying to come up with some super cool way to have it drop into the stake pockets and pin in place… but for simplicity sake, and being as this is quite likely the last day I will have to work on it before I need to use it, I just welded some angle to keep it from sliding side to side, and I’ll throw some turn buckles on it to hold it to the bed. F99FA195-CA5F-4ADF-9A6D-600A9B682706.jpeg

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I was going to go for some turnbuckles to hold my rack on, but I am having a hard time finding some that are short enough for the back end. It would be simpler to use ratchet straps, and they actually have a higher load rating (2,200 vs 3,300 lbs). But in my mind, buckles would somehow be more secure.. but I'm pretty sure I am just making that up. Is there any reason to use one or the other, or to not to??

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
About 5-10 miles after getting the 570 stuck, we are getting a check engine light, and random stalls at idle. I am pretty sure I burned the belt a bit when stuck… and hope that has something to do with it… but I can’t figure out a way to check for the code for a 2008 570. Anyone know how??

43D5DBD3-04F1-457C-B043-7DAAA123FA84.jpeg

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
About 5-10 miles after getting the 570 stuck, we are getting a check engine light, and random stalls at idle. I am pretty sure I burned the belt a bit when stuck… and hope that has something to do with it… but I can’t figure out a way to check for the code for a 2008 570. Anyone know how??

View attachment 147750
If it is like my XPT, when you push the button that changes the digital display it will eventually display "chkeng". When you get to that you hold the button down until the code displays. If there are multiple codes you will just push the button to get the next code.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I had the kids wash and paint the rack today. But It looks exactly like it was painting by children in a windstorm 🤣. But the point was that they got experience and work done. After all, the paint looks no worse than my welds.

E81ED4E7-82AC-4E9D-AD77-F13A0E54F4E0.jpeg

And then I found this happy little accident. Totally unplanned, but I’m super glad it worked out. Fridge kisses the bars front and back

51D4E033-92CA-4E07-B172-752E73806B4E.jpeg

Last edited:

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
First load with the rack completely done.
I ended up adding a couple stake pocket type rings to the rack, so my square hooks had a good bite
4DE8AF93-9ED1-4892-BB20-8036EE7768D9.jpeg

Got them loaded up, and found another happy accident: my ramps slip right up under one machine perfectly

61B1F9C8-E693-4379-A219-E8633C2E504B.jpeg

The ramps arch a little and set right down in the rack on the back.

823710D4-6DED-4080-A029-978297518C20.jpeg

All set and ready to do 90mph down I-15 with a camper on as well 🤣

534499B8-BE49-4205-B2A8-6353A0428223.jpeg

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I made a trip to the gas station, and one to the Home Depot. Let’s just say I have a set of air bags in my shopping cart 🤣

I think we had a discussion on belts before. My mind tells me that OEM was the consensus… they are $110/each 😢😭. Is that Covid shortage pricing, or is that typical?

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I made a trip to the gas station, and one to the Home Depot. Let’s just say I have a set of air bags in my shopping cart 🤣

I think we had a discussion on belts before. My mind tells me that OEM was the consensus… they are $110/each 😢😭. Is that Covid shortage pricing, or is that typical?
Normal pricing. I think the belt for my XPT is around 150 and that is what it has always been.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
How often are belts replaced? We’ve got 1 spare already. Do I need to worry about having a spare for each machine on hand?
On the small machines......rarely unless you are abusing them or driving slow uphill in high gear. Higher horsepower machines .......a lot more often. I usually go through at least 1 a year. I think I replaced a belt on my 800 1 time in the 8 years I owned it.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
The voltage regulator went out on one of our 570’s. It’s located just in front of the rear wheel.

64D58A39-E41B-46BF-8843-2F928B74EEEA.jpeg

Internet says they fail due to heat and corrosion. Both can be caused by the continual mud, dirt, and water being sprayed on it all the time. There is plenty of open space near the battery under the drivers seat for the regulator to fit. Would it be worth moving it there? I’m slightly concerned about air flow.. but in reality, I think it would be fine.

Your thoughts?

EDIT: after a little bit more reading, it looks like Polaris used to have them under the seat… But they didn’t get enough airflow. You can buy a kit that extends the wiring so you can put it in the front by the radiator.

Last edited:

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
The voltage regulator went out on one of our 570’s. It’s located just in front of the rear wheel.

View attachment 148596

Internet says they fail due to heat and corrosion. Both can be caused by the continual mud, dirt, and water being sprayed on it all the time. There is plenty of open space near the battery under the drivers seat for the regulator to fit. Would it be worth moving it there? I’m slightly concerned about air flow.. but in reality, I think it would be fine.

Your thoughts?

EDIT: after a little bit more reading, it looks like Polaris used to have them under the seat… But they didn’t get enough airflow. You can buy a kit that extends the wiring so you can put it in the front by the radiator.
I used to have trouble with the one on my Wildcat XX getting hot and smacked by rocks. They were also right above the rear wheels. Someone made a protective shield for it that kept mud and rocks off of it. That seemed to solve the problem for those cars.