I need to be schooled in SXS's

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I am heavily in debate about buying a sxs. I also have limited experience with them.
I rode a bit in a 2012 rzr4 800. I remember it being quite fun, fast, and smooth in the whoops. I also remember that it blew a transmission at 500 miles.

my neighbor has a teryx4. Is slower, louder, and the suspension is much harsher.. but it also seems more durable.

I am eyeing some 2015 can am commander 1000’s. But don’t have any personal time in one.

I’d like to be in the $12-15k range.

it seems to me that 6-8k miles in a sxs is the equivalent of about 200k in a truck. Many of all brands start claiming new engines and transmissions after even 4,000 miles.

Any additional advise you guys can throw my way?

boogie_4wheel

At that price range you could be in a brand new Honda Pioneer 700-4, if that is big enough for you. A few thousand more gets you into a Pioneer 1000-5 or Yamaha Wolverine x4 (if you can find either one). My buddy got the wolverine earlier this year for his growing family and really enjoys it. Adequate power of you're not going to the dunes.

We are pretty much set on the 1000-5 for our family, just can't find a new one and not ready to pay $4k more than a dealer for a unit with 1k miles on it. The used market is stupid right now.

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
Just sold my Honda pioneer 1000-5. It was fine, but I think I’m done with UTVs for the foreseeable future. Loud, dusty trail rides just aren’t as fun for me. Trailering things to the trails is too much work. Found myself in the middle of the last few rides just feeling done with it. Maybe a fully enclosed cab would help? Or maybe I need to try something more sporty, like the Talon? Not sure. Just never loved it.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I’ve always been very against the 2 seat versions that have been converted to 4 seats because it puts the rear riders up higher, and over the rear tires. Both the pioneer and wolverine are made that same way. I would assume that makes the rea passengers have a rougher ride, no?

I'm assuming you have ridden friends for extended periods or rented one? If not, I would rent a 4 seater like you want for a full day or two and try some of what you want with one. They are a bunch of fun when the weather is nice and you aren't behind a group of machines kicking up dust, but that is just my take on it.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
it seems to me that 6-8k miles in a sxs is the equivalent of about 200k in a truck. Many of all brands start claiming new engines and transmissions after even 4,000 miles.

When buying used you are always buying risk. I bought my 2016 XP Turbo when it was a year old. I bought from a dealer in Idaho who sold it to the original owner and he traded it in for a 4 seater. It had 3000 miles on it when I bought it but they provided me with service records. the story I was given was that he was an old retired guy that spent a lot of time exploring mountain roads with another retired buddy. Right now it has over 8000 miles on it and other than what I consider normal wear and tear it has been a solid machine. I did have to replace the high gear in the transmission, but that was due to my own abuse. Right now I need to replace the primary clutch since it has a groove starting to wear in it and I am getting a lot of clutch slipping when I take off.......but after 8k miles, I think that is reasonable.

My biggest word of caution is to stay away from a machine that is owned by somebody that spends 90% of their time at the dunes.

Jeepj667

We just sold our '15 xp1000 4 seater. Right now is a horrible time to buy. The market is nuts. We bought ours for 13,500 three or four years ago and just sold it for 19000. 😲
I definitely recommend renting a few first. We were talked into the XP by my sister who is a huge dune rider. We preferred mountain trails and if I ever get one again I'll be looking for a General or similar. Something that's easier to fully enclosed. Dust sucks.
We also realized that I was the only one who really liked it in my family. I always drove. They were just stuck eating the dust all day.
We bought 4 Coleman mini bikes and everyone is enjoying them much more than the did the RZR.

Coco

I am heavily in debate about buying a sxs. I also have limited experience with them.
I rode a bit in a 2012 rzr4 800. I remember it being quite fun, fast, and smooth in the whoops. I also remember that it blew a transmission at 500 miles.

my neighbor has a teryx4. Is slower, louder, and the suspension is much harsher.. but it also seems more durable.

I am eyeing some 2015 can am commander 1000’s. But don’t have any personal time in one.

I’d like to be in the $12-15k range.

I think more or less it is how the miles were applied (or how the machine was used). I know of a couple guys that sold their machines with 8000 on them, and they were still in fantastic shape. All regular maintenance was done at the time required or before, and you would never have guessed they had that many miles on them by the way they looked/drove when they were sold. They were both used for rock crawling/trail riding. There is a Can Am out there that has 80K on it, and is still running like a gem.

When buying used you are always buying risk. I bought my 2016 XP Turbo when it was a year old. I bought from a dealer in Idaho who sold it to the original owner and he traded it in for a 4 seater. It had 3000 miles on it when I bought it but they provided me with service records. the story I was given was that he was an old retired guy that spent a lot of time exploring mountain roads with another retired buddy. Right now it has over 8000 miles on it and other than what I consider normal wear and tear it has been a solid machine. I did have to replace the high gear in the transmission, but that was due to my own abuse. Right now I need to replace the primary clutch since it has a groove starting to wear in it and I am getting a lot of clutch slipping when I take off.......but after 8k miles, I think that is reasonable.

My biggest word of caution is to stay away from a machine that is owned by somebody that spends 90% of their time at the dunes.

I agree. The dunes are hard on belts/transmissions/etc. I personally have never been a fan of the dunes. I actually found myself getting motion sickness the one and only time I went to the dunes for a day, and that was enough for me.

FWIW, I went to a 4 seater X3. The pup was getting too big to be riding on my wife or my lap, and planning a future family, we decided to make the jump to the 4 seat. So far, we are loving it, for the extra space, and the pup loves his own spot, but it is a limo. Hopefully it still performs as well as my 2 seat RC did for rock crawling, but I am sure its length will add new challenges.

I do have my 2 seater for sale if anyone is interested.

Last edited:

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Thanks for all the input guys. I know right now is a horrible time to buy, so that has been my biggest motivation not to buy one.
I don’t actually want one, especially because of the transportation headache it will cause us. But with my wife and daughter giving up on their dirt bikes I feel very obligated to provide them with something they will enjoy while we are camping.
I just found incredible deal on an older two seat arctic cat. It’s probably nothing more than a glorified go cart as far as capabilities, but is rather cheap, in good condition, has low miles, and will give my daughter the experience she’s been looking for. It’s about the same price I sold her little dirtbike for, so it’s not costing me much as far as additional money. It will also fit up on the flatbed of my truck just fine. I think we will give it a shot and see if we like the side-by-side idea. If all else fails I can stick a snow plow on it for my driveway.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Thanks for all the input guys. I know right now is a horrible time to buy, so that has been my biggest motivation not to buy one.
I don’t actually want one, especially because of the transportation headache it will cause us. But with my wife and daughter giving up on their dirt bikes I feel very obligated to provide them with something they will enjoy while we are camping.
I just found incredible deal on an older two seat arctic cat. It’s probably nothing more than a glorified go cart as far as capabilities, but is rather cheap, in good condition, has low miles, and will give my daughter the experience she’s been looking for. It’s about the same price I sold her little dirtbike for, so it’s not costing me much as far as additional money. It will also fit up on the flatbed of my truck just fine. I think we will give it a shot and see if we like the side-by-side idea. If all else fails I can stick a snow plow on it for my driveway.
I do not know a person who has had an arctic cat motor last more than 3500 miles without needing a rebuild. They have all lost compression.

rholbrook

I have a 2021 Polaris Rzr Pro XP 4 and so far love it. So far just dusty roads and plan on more. I have put another $4-5K in it since I bought it and still have a few things to do to it. My only complaint is how damn hot it gets inside but I am slowly finding and plugging these holes as I have time. It has the high horse power motor and it flat rips. You can easily drift in on the asphalt but it also has some really nice suspension in it. I was told that if you put 4 adults in it at altitude, you will want a turbo and it is the new frame and body style so the leg room in the back seat is really nice over the regular none pro models. The only thing left that I want to do is 32" tires which it will get when I wear mine out. I was told by my wife that we need another one so that all the kids can go so I ordered a second Pro XP 4. My last one took nearly 8 months to get so who knows how long this new one will take. Its already been a month.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I do not know a person who has had an arctic cat motor last more than 3500 miles without needing a rebuild. They have all lost compression.
My friend's Artic Cat motor seized at 3,200. He was always fixing something on that thing. 3 different front diffs, steering boxes every year... We both have 4 wheelers now.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
My friend's Artic Cat motor seized at 3,200. He was always fixing something on that thing. 3 different front diffs, steering boxes every year... We both have 4 wheelers now.
Been looking hard at a Polaris 570…. Seems like it would be fun to get out and explore some smaller trails. Like the idea of a quad. Loved my WR but wouldn’t mind strapping on a tent a bag some chow and getting lost a little more remote than my truck can get me.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Been looking hard at a Polaris 570…. Seems like it would be fun to get out and explore some smaller trails. Like the idea of a quad. Loved my WR but wouldn’t mind strapping on a tent a bag some chow and getting lost a little more remote than my truck can get me.
As much as I hate Polaris, I can't deny how much I like their Sportmans. We use the shit out of ours at the property and at home to plow snow. It's a 450 utility model.

Tonkaman

I have a 2021 Polaris Rzr Pro XP 4 and so far love it. So far just dusty roads and plan on more. I have put another $4-5K in it since I bought it and still have a few things to do to it. My only complaint is how damn hot it gets inside but I am slowly finding and plugging these holes as I have time. It has the high horse power motor and it flat rips. You can easily drift in on the asphalt but it also has some really nice suspension in it. I was told that if you put 4 adults in it at altitude, you will want a turbo and it is the new frame and body style so the leg room in the back seat is really nice over the regular none pro models. The only thing left that I want to do is 32" tires which it will get when I wear mine out. I was told by my wife that we need another one so that all the kids can go so I ordered a second Pro XP 4. My last one took nearly 8 months to get so who knows how long this new one will take. Its already been a month.
I want to be Russ when I grow up

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I don't think so. They just are not built to last. There is a reason that when Artic Cat partnered with Robby Gordon to develop the Textron that it uses the Yamaha motor.
Yet still, the Yamaha motor had a ton of assembly problems and guys were losing them under 500 miles. The transmissions were also blowing on several guys I rode with. Rear axle shafts were coming apart after a weekend ride, on the first year Textrons. They've since fixed the axle shaft issue.

My Textron XX had cracked welds on both lower A arms when I sold it. That was a super common issue.

It's not just Textron/Artic Cat. My neighbor's Rzr was new last year and it's been in the shop half the time he's owned it. Front diff and drive shaft problems.