I sheepishly admit to doing this once....

Caleb

what are you admitting to? driving off a pier? :rofl: funny stor, we hired a guy as our harbor master, we also had a huge crane (similar to the second one in the pics) and the boom would extend to about 60-80 ft tall...our harbor master (being the genious he was) decided to try to drive the crane truck, with the boom fully extended sticking almost straight up, from the break water back to the parking lot fo the marina (rough dirt road the whole way) and he ended up tiping it over, the truck was brand new and it totalled it. They had to cut it into pieces to get it back upright :rofl:

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I used to run a few boom trucks at my old job. That crane was way too small for the job.

I actually did the same thing once... sorta. I was delivering a case of mirror that weighed 4000# and swung it a little too far from my center point. Lucky for me, I was taught to keep the load close to the ground when moving it. My truck only tipped over until the case touched the ground. I still had at least 2 degrees more of tilt to go until the truck would have tipped over completely. :hickey: 6 wheeled tractor, with only 3 on the ground. Wish I had a pic. I never did tell my boss, neither did the customer I was delivering to.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
brian said:
...idiot :rolleyes: ...pretty obvious what would happen by the second pic.....note the OUTRIGGERS on the second crane :D .......
He is using the outrigger on the small crane, they are just REALLY small.

Hickey said:
He is using the outrigger on the small crane, they are just REALLY small.
.....just noticed that in the upsidedown pic...you could still see this coming... besides if they dont extend beyond the vehicle they are as good as non-existing... :D

Last edited:

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
brian said:
.....just noticed that in the upsidedown pic...you could still see this coming... besides if they dont extend beyond the vehicle they are as good as non-existing... :D
I'm betting that crane was only good for 1500 lbs at that length.

Hickey said:
I used to run a few boom trucks at my old job. That crane was way too small for the job.

I actually did the same thing once... sorta. I was delivering a case of mirror that weighed 4000# and swung it a little too far from my center point. Lucky for me, I was taught to keep the load close to the ground when moving it. My truck only tipped over until the case touched the ground. I still had at least 2 degrees more of tilt to go until the truck would have tipped over completely. :hickey: 6 wheeled tractor, with only 3 on the ground. Wish I had a pic. I never did tell my boss, neither did the customer I was delivering to.

Where did that happen? The exact same thing happened once when I worked at diamond glass over by 72nd south by Cosco. I thought it was pretty amusing.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
crimsonride said:
Where did that happen? The exact same thing happened once when I worked at diamond glass over by 72nd south by Cosco. I thought it was pretty amusing.
I did it in St. George. Fau's Glass. I'll never forget it. :rofl: