i think it is time for longarms....

Jeremy

total tacoma points: 162
i have been looking into a longarm setup for my xj, i have run into a few problems. it seems somebody has something bad to say about every kit. i have been looking at the Rubicon Express kit, mostly because i can get a great deal on one.

what about a custome setup. does anybody have any experience with any local shops building them a custome front suspension.

VerdeXJ

I had the same dilemma last summer.
Ended up with a LA set-up from a company in Cheyenne, This and That Custom.

http://www.tntcustoms.com

Overall, I am very pleased with the set-up. Install went well, the belly skid plate is a bonus. The only thing I dread is having to drop it for clutch/tranny work.

My friend has the RE-LA, with no problems. You can't go wrong with either.

rkillpack

Converted Oil Burner
I second the Build It idea!!!

I have been wanting to build a 4 link so that I could learn first hand what goes into it. I was going to link my 'burban but with Moab so close and the motor not even in yet I had to get the priorities straight.
Build it for the experience alone.....If you have time to have a rig down for awhile.
My $.02

Jeremy

does any body have any direct experience with the RE setup?

it seems that everybody knows someone with one, but nobody has one on their own jeep.

i would be very interested in building it my self, but i dont have time for that kind of project right now.

Caleb

Rocklogic did an excellent job on the suspension on my buggy :D

RE has an excellent product, I think you'd be happy with their kit (although I have no personal experience with their XJ LA kit)

Caleb

EKSJAE said:
i would realy like to have it built, but i dont think the price will compare to what i can bolt on from RE.

I can't speak for the shops but usually it is more expensive to have it built, but you will likely end up with a nicer product...

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
So you'd need just the arms? I like the TeraFlex XJ Long Arm upgrade.

If you are happy with your current spring/shock setup you can get the long arms seperately. I swapped out the springs, shocks and both sets of arms. I've been pleased with the TeraFlex LA upgrade on our XJ. It works well & isn't 'floppy'. The suspension is very predictable, yet flexes well. I think those arms are the most bomb-proof on the market. It's not too spendy and of course, TeraFlex is local.

Here's our XJ in action with the Tera LA's. Pics are from a few weeks ago in Moab-

1000832medium4qh.jpg

1000849medium5xb.jpg

Jeremy

sorry greg, i am a little bit nervous about the long lowers and short uppers. i dont have to get groceries in mine, and it will very seldom see the street. i think i will go with some form of a three link kit, or have someone build me a proper 4 link.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
EKSJAE said:
sorry greg, i am a little bit nervous about the long lowers and short uppers. i dont have to get groceries in mine, and it will very seldom see the street. i think i will go with some form of a three link kit, or have someone build me a proper 4 link.

That's understandable, if it isn't want you want then don't get it! You mentioned XJ LA's and I saw that nobody mentioned this option, so I did.

I haven't seen any ill effects from the long/short arm setup, it seems to work just fine. The Tera springs are a little soft and there's a bit of nose-dive on braking, but I'd rather have soft springs than stiff ones.

Let us know what you end up doing!