I Want A Drone

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Well, not so much me, but my 9 year old son does. But you KNOW I'm gonna play with it too! He's flown one once with his cousin, but he really didn't do much. So I'll say he's a complete rookie. My budget is around $300. That looks to be mid range. I'm wondering if he'd be better off getting a super cheap one to start off with or if he'll have a better experience going full budget. He does not have a phone to control it, but does have an ipad, if that would work? I might have an old iphone laying around. Maybe that would work? Mostly will be playing with it around the house, but I'd love to have it follow us while boating too. Looking around on amazon, this one caught my eye:

You drone guys, what's your thoughts?
Thanks.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I knew that we had a thread about these things. That one didn't pop up in the search. Has anything changed in the last two years?

rholbrook

I just ordered two of these for my son and his companion. Its a really cheap one but this is for them to play with while they stare at 4 blank white walls all day. Its a beginner drone and may be all your son needs for now. If he likes it, get him a nicer one but by the looks of things, its for you and your are using your son as an excuse. If thats the case, get him this and you a nicer Mavik or something.

RockChucker

I'm super tempted to pick up a DJI mini 2... but I might wait until after Christmas so I don't feel too selfish :grimacing:
Me too. Been debating between that one and the Air 2. Trying to decide how much I would use the follow me feature that the air 2 has and mini doesn't....but not having to register the mini 2 with the guberment is appealing...

MikeGyver

UtahWeld.com
Those kind of drones are dum, get an FPV drone. I got into FPV this summer and it's a ton of fun. Start with a tinywhoop that will fly indoor and outdoor, the ones that dont suck are fun as hell, like this one https://newbeedrone.com/collections...1/products/newbeedrone-hummingbird-bnf-kit-v2 Ive flown this one 1/4 mile away with live video back to the goggles. This stuff isn't toy grade, it's hobby grade, whole different world.

HRML5471.JPG

IMG_8991.JPG

Random FPV video:

Last edited:

muleskinner

Me too. Been debating between that one and the Air 2. Trying to decide how much I would use the follow me feature that the air 2 has and mini doesn't....but not having to register the mini 2 with the guberment is appealing...
I just ordered an Air 2. I went with it over the mini mostly because of the obstacle avoidance. I'll be using mine right now for checking my trapline. I'm bobcat trapping and my traps are all on steep rocky hillsides that are covered in snow. I really hate getting off work and hiking up in the dark to check them, with this I can fly the entire line before it gets dark.

I also want to use it for the follow feature while riding my surron electric motorcycle.

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
IMO, right now for anything other than a small FPV(they are a whole other experience) it really begins and ends with DJI. I would put up the extra money any day to get the new mini2 over those that you posted.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Have a mini one I picked up on prime day. Fly more combo. Only flown half a dozen times. Need the cash more than a drone right now. $400 if anyone is interested. I'll be in town tomorrow for about 5 days. I have the DJI refresh on it, not sure if its transferable.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Have a mini one I picked up on prime day. Fly more combo. Only flown half a dozen times. Need the cash more than a drone right now. $400 if anyone is interested. I'll be in town tomorrow for about 5 days. I have the DJI refresh on it, not sure if its transferable.
Dang, is it the mini or the mini 2? Either way, awesome deal

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I have really enjoyed my Mavic air 2, but I picked up a DJI FPV and it is awesome! I have the motion controller for it and can't get the smile off my face while flying around at 60mph! It makes me feel like I'm flying a small plane bombing around the hills!

That thing looks FUN.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Messing with my drone last night wasn’t the greatest sunset but was some practice. Sped the video up 2x which made the turns less smooth. Also wasn’t recording when I actually thought I was. I had a nice little flow before this. When I hit the stop record button I actually started 🤦‍♂️ But battery was getting low and was over water so just did this little fly around. Excuse the music my internet is horrid and was taking about 5 min per song to preview 😂 so I gave up and stayed with this

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
@UNSTUCK did you ever get a drone? I got a Tiny Hawk a week or so ago, and both my kids love it....both line-of-sight and FPV mode. It was around $200 for the FPV goggles, controller, the drone, and a couple batteries and spare props.