I want to drive/ride to Hyder, AK next year...

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I've been thinking about what trips I want to make next year and the idea of getting to Alaska very alluring to me. Hyder, Alaska is about the furthest Southern point of Alaska, at the very bottom of the panhandle... like, 1000 miles from Seattle. IMO it's a cheaters way to go to 'Alaska'... :rofl:

I don't have enough time to ride to Alaska proper, but a small, 7-10 day trip to Hyder would work for the time being. I REALLY want to ride my motorcycle up there, but my wife really wants to go and if we go together, it would be much easier to take my TDI Jetta and eventually plan a 2nd trip later on riding the bike with a couple friends.

One of the route options would take us right thru Banff, which is on my list of places to visit. It would be fun to spend a couple days exploring Banff on the way up to Hyder. From Grand Junction it's about 2,000 miles to Hyder.... could be ridden one way in 3-4 days not stopping in Banff. In a car, 2-3 days.

Check out the Google Images of Hyder... they even have a Bear Viewing platform along the Salmon River!- https://www.google.com/search?q=Hyd...6pogTwsoKgCw&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAw&biw=1536&bih=731

So, anywho... I want to go to Hyder, AK. :D

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
You have my attention. I've been dreaming of driving to Alaska since before I could drive. Come really close but hasn't quite happened yet maybe in a few years when the kiddies are older. Border crossings have been my worry up to this point and I can't seem to get a straight answer from anyone. I guess anything more than a traffic violation on your record could get a guy turned back depending on the mood of the officials. I wish I could have skipped a few of the young adult/stupid/head up my as--butt years of my life.

Anyway I think the Cassiar hwy up and the Alaskan hwy down or vice versa would be sweet but it probably wouldn't fit in your time frame.

EDIT: I was confused for a minute that route wouldn't work for Hyder unless you wanted to add visiting the Yukon to the list :D

Last edited:

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Do AK the right way. And like rot box said take both highways. I have been on them three times. Each time the roads were better. It is an adventure like no other. Like gas stations that tell you the distance to the next gas station because if you don't plan ahead you may not make it. Or the miles and miles of rock pile names and wedding proposals on the side of the road. Or maybe the license plate forest. Or driving for hours and hours without seeing another car ( one time we literally parked the car in the middle of the road and chased a deer up a hill side to get a picture. We were parked for about an hour!). One time we petted some black bears that were eating berries on the side of the road. On a clear night the northern lights will blow your mind.

Just do it!

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I would like to go, but I wont.. Mostly because once I arrived, I wouldn't leave. I would become a hippy and live off the land. My cell phone wouldn't work. My family would be nervous, they would call the police, who would contact you. You would not be able to prove my whereabouts, and would go to jail for murder. Your wife wouldn't be able to provide for herself all alone in that big house, she would get remarried while you were in jail. So you see, it's a bad idea.

Cascadia

Undecided
I would like to go, but I wont.. Mostly because once I arrived, I wouldn't leave. I would become a hippy and live off the land. My cell phone wouldn't work. My family would be nervous, they would call the police, who would contact you. You would not be able to prove my whereabouts, and would go to jail for murder. Your wife wouldn't be able to provide for herself all alone in that big house, she would get remarried while you were in jail. So you see, it's a bad idea.
You already are a hippy, in case you hadn't checked lately.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
AK TDI trip! I'd love to go depending on the time of year. I'm guessing early summer is the best time and I'm already kinda booked

Greg

Admin
You have my attention. I've been dreaming of driving to Alaska since before I could drive. Come really close but hasn't quite happened yet maybe in a few years when the kiddies are older. Border crossings have been my worry up to this point and I can't seem to get a straight answer from anyone. I guess anything more than a traffic violation on your record could get a guy turned back depending on the mood of the officials. I wish I could have skipped a few of the young adult/stupid/head up my as--butt years of my life.

Anyway I think the Cassiar hwy up and the Alaskan hwy down or vice versa would be sweet but it probably wouldn't fit in your time frame.

EDIT: I was confused for a minute that route wouldn't work for Hyder unless you wanted to add visiting the Yukon to the list :D

Interesting about the border crossing denial, makes me wonder if I'd get in... :ugh: Only one way to find out!

There is so much to see up that way and at least for me, not enough time currently. Seeing the Yukon would be incredible!

Do AK the right way. And like rot box said take both highways. I have been on them three times. Each time the roads were better. It is an adventure like no other. Like gas stations that tell you the distance to the next gas station because if you don't plan ahead you may not make it. Or the miles and miles of rock pile names and wedding proposals on the side of the road. Or maybe the license plate forest. Or driving for hours and hours without seeing another car ( one time we literally parked the car in the middle of the road and chased a deer up a hill side to get a picture. We were parked for about an hour!). One time we petted some black bears that were eating berries on the side of the road. On a clear night the northern lights will blow your mind.

Just do it!

My biggest problem is time and how long it would take to do it the 'right' way. IMO 3 weeks is the bare minimum, especially on a motorcycle. I just don't have that kind of time away from work right now, the reason I'm interested in Hyder is because I could make that happen over 10 days on the motorcycle, with time to explore Banff on the way. I see Hyder as my Intro to Alaska, or Alaska 101. :D Eventually I want to take a 3 week or so trip, but in order to make it happen next year I'm limited on time. I'll be taking a weeks vacation for our 10 year anniversary, which cuts out my time on any kind of Alaska trip. Seeing the Northern Lights is a Bucket List item for me... really looking forward to that one.

Drove from Anchorage to Idaho to Virginia in 1983.... wow, what a ride..

Damn! That's a LOT of miles... what were you driving?

Looks cool. :greg: - Do it.

I'm going to try like hell!

You'd better stay home then... :p

Ill do it on my Aprilia

Sounds like a plan!

Me and Jeremy are doing it as soon as we get Adventure bikes. Banff is a lot of fun. BC is awesome. Check out Kootenay lake on the way back down. There is a motorcycle only campground around the lake. http://www.toadrockcampground.com/

Well, keep me posted! Seems like everything between Banff and Hyder would be amazing, BC looks so fun to explore! Have you guys figured out what bikes you want yet? Honda should bringing out the new Africa Twin within the next year. Thanks for the link!

AK TDI trip! I'd love to go depending on the time of year. I'm guessing early summer is the best time and I'm already kinda booked

I would love to make the drive in the car first, get to know the roads & drive, then make the trip up again the following year on the motorcycle. We will see... my wife get's jealous when I go on a long motorcycle ride and leave her at home, so I offered to take the car up first with her... then last night she said she didn't care if I went up on the MC first. That sounds like a trap to me. :rofl:

Late-July thru September is the time of year if you want to see the bear feeding on fish in the Salmon River from the viewing platform.

Greg

Admin
Banff is a must see. Go there every year, inlaws.

:cool: My wife has a cousin that lives just outside of Banff... I'm hoping to get to know them better. :D

I wanted to go up there this Summer when I rode into Montana, but the area had a massive wildfire and I didn't renew my passport in time for the ride up.

SnwMnkys

Well, keep me posted! Seems like everything between Banff and Hyder would be amazing, BC looks so fun to explore! Have you guys figured out what bikes you want yet? Honda should bringing out the new Africa Twin within the next year. Thanks for the link!

This is the route we took.
bc map.jpg

Id like to head farther west and see Vancouver and Whistler next summer. I still want a Super Tenere. But the Vstroms are looking more appealing. Especially the newer years. Im headed back to Thailand so ill have to see what money is like next spring. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• BC map.jpg
    BC map.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Greg

Admin
This is the route we took.
View attachment 96100

Id like to head farther west and see Vancouver and Whistler next summer. I still want a Super Tenere. But the Vstroms are looking more appealing. Especially the newer years. Im headed back to Thailand so ill have to see what money is like next spring. :rolleyes:

That map looks like a fun route!

The V-Strom is a great bike... I think if I were making the full Alaska ride and spending 3 weeks doing it, I'd want a V-Strom 1000. They're smoother riding, more comfortable get better mileage than my 990 Adventure. It's a great touring bike if the toughest thing you're going to do is mild dirt roads.

Thailand again, eh? Rough life! :cody:

SnwMnkys

That map looks like a fun route!

The V-Strom is a great bike... I think if I were making the full Alaska ride and spending 3 weeks doing it, I'd want a V-Strom 1000. They're smoother riding, more comfortable get better mileage than my 990 Adventure. It's a great touring bike if the toughest thing you're going to do is mild dirt roads.

Thailand again, eh? Rough life! :cody:

Ya and for only 4 months this time. :rofl:

Those Hyder pictures definately made me want to ride up there sooner rather than later.

Greg

Admin
Ya and for only 4 months this time. :rofl:

Those Hyder pictures definately made me want to ride up there sooner rather than later.

Hopefully you can make it all happen, get a V-Strom and we'll go ride to Hyder late Summer next year... IF you're back from living in Thailand.