I want to learn to weld!

jebuwh

I've done a little bit of welding, and I mean very little growing up on an old cheap Lincoln mig. I really want to get better and hopefully be able to weld on my own sliders and other little projects here and there.

I've reached out to all the various community colleges around, no classes at the moment. I'm in Layton.

Is there anyone in Davis County/Ogden that would be willing to teach the basics? I'll absolutely compensate for time and materials. Also willing to donate time on project vehicles!

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
An old Lincoln mig is still probably a pretty decent machine. My $.02 is to watch a few youtube instructional videos so you have the basics, then get out in the garage and start practicing. Yes you will suck at first. Keep practicing. Once you start to get the concept down, go watch more youtube videos, then go back to the garage and practice some more, etc, etc. Start building some non-critical projects and build up your skills before say, welding together a cage or 4-link brackets or something that you NEED to depend on.

And for the love of pete... don't think that flux core will be ok. Flux core welds seem to always look like ass. I wasted a lot of time and money messing around with flux core wire. Your mileage may vary, but I would say to skip it and go right to gas shielding.

Caleb

Flux core is perfectly fine. Right tool for the job. It definitely isn’t as pretty, but is perfectly strong for any part on a vehicle.

EDIT: just came across this article on flux core (self shielding) vs. gas shielding.

Agree with everything else said though, get something and go start practicing. I’ve always been a fan of learning on a non-mig because arc or oxyacetylene tend to be less forgiving and will force you in to a better technique and will help you learn the essentials, but if you’re only picking up a single machine, no problem learning on a mig. As for the machine, I bet most guys on here first machine was either an inexpensive Lincoln or Hobart and I know some guys have some really nice machines yet still keep their small machines around.

jebuwh

Oh awesome! How did I miss that? Thank you. I will send him a message!

And yeah the old Lincoln definitely did the job, unfortunately I no longer have access to it, it stayed in California after I moved up here. But I am looking at getting something at some point. I am lucky to have a nice unused 220 in my garage that would work nicely for welding.

astjp2

Flux core is perfectly fine. Right tool for the job. It definitely isn’t as pretty, but is perfectly strong for any part on a vehicle.

EDIT: just came across this article on flux core (self shielding) vs. gas shielding.

Agree with everything else said though, get something and go start practicing. I’ve always been a fan of learning on a non-mig because arc or oxyacetylene tend to be less forgiving and will force you in to a better technique and will help you learn the essentials, but if you’re only picking up a single machine, no problem learning on a mig. As for the machine, I bet most guys on here first machine was either an inexpensive Lincoln or Hobart and I know some guys have some really nice machines yet still keep their small machines around.
I started with a torch in 7th grade, but I was welding with a Marquette buzz box with a tig when I was about 10 years old. Dad had lots of tools, I just never appreciated them when I was that age, now I have a Mig, Tig/arc, spot welder, and a torch. I still have to break out the tig and practice with it. My spot welder also needs fixed. Maybe someday I will get all of my tools operational. Tim

H-K

INFIDEL
Supporting Member
I realize this thread is a bit old, but I just wanted to throw out there that Salt Lake County holds a night welding class. I took it a few years back and it's basically free use of the shop and all its welding equipment, tools, saws, etc along with access to the instructor. Many people take the class just because it's a cheap way to get access to the equipment and shop space, so the instructor just wanders around and helps people. I took the class and welded a brace on a Ford 9" axle with the instructors guidance. The instructor had time to do one-on-one teaching since most people were just using the equipment and occasionally asking for help here and there. I can't remember the cost, but it was maybe $100 for about a three month period.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Just looked it up. They show the class, but it's unclear how the Covid stuff plays into it. The price has jumped a bit to $200, but for someone like me who doesn't have a shop currently, it's worth it to get some projects knocked out.

That's a bargain at twice the price.

Reactions: H-K