South-East Utah I want to run the Kokopelli in my CJ2a...

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I was thinking about this awhile ago, really want to try it this Fall. I want to load the CJ2a up with camping gear, plan on spending a night or 2 making the drive. It would be best to do this in Sept/Oct, when it's a little cooler. I'd like to run the complete Kokopelli, including down Rose Garden Hill. I'm sure I'd need extra gas, could stash gas around Dewey Bridge or try hauling an extra 10 gallons. I have no idea what MPG the Willys gets on the trail, but I'm sure it's not great.

It would be EPIC to make a loop out of it, stay in the dirt back to Colorado as well. I think on the way back, I'd like to go up Entrada Ranch road, cross the Dolores River and head back into the Dolores Triangle. I'd need to prep the axles/trans/t-case for water crossings.

Anyone want to join, even for just the Koko?

Homefryy

I'm not familiar with the route but if it is something that my XJ can handle I would definitely be interested. I am always up for off road camping trips. Does this require large tires?

Caleb

I'm not familiar with the route but if it is something that my XJ can handle I would definitely be interested. I am always up for off road camping trips. Does this require large tires?

I've only ever done Rose Garden on a motorcycle and it's been many years but from what I remember, you'd probably want at minimum 33" tires with great skid/body protect and really probably 35". Although, things may have seemed larger since I was on a dirtbike :D . You can see the trip report here to get an idea of the terrain. I believe Greg is looking at doing a similar route but starting where we started our second day. (We went Moab -> Fruita -> Moab and he's talking about Fruita -> Moab -> Fruita).

Greg

Admin
Schedule permitting, YES!

Awesome! Someone that can help me fix it when it breaks down! X-D

Where would you be pulling off the trail at after Rose Garden? Would you continue up into the La Salles?

I'd like to do the full Kokopelli trail, so down Rose Garden and then up into the La Sals via Hideout Road and back to town by Sand Flats road.

Most of it isn't too challenging, but Rose Garden Hill is a beast. There are 2-3 ledges at the top that have a 3' drop. Last time I did it in my JKU on 35's I got hung up on my frame. Bigger tires and a good lift would really help. I'd be on 31's in my CJ2a, but my wheelbase is tiny. I think with the right line and a little rock stacking on the bottom, I'd be OK?

I've only ever done Rose Garden on a motorcycle and it's been many years but from what I remember, you'd probably want at minimum 33" tires with great skid/body protect and really probably 35". Although, things may have seemed larger since I was on a dirtbike :D . You can see the trip report here to get an idea of the terrain. I believe Greg is looking at doing a similar route but starting where we started our second day. (We went Moab -> Fruita -> Moab and he's talking about Fruita -> Moab -> Fruita).

I actually want to head back a different way than that route.... I'd take Hwy 128 to Dewey Bridge, up Entrada Ranch Road just a couple miles and then head to the Dolores River crossing. That would be a pretty mild drive up to Glade Park and down into Grand Junction. :cool:

Greg

Admin
Considering making this happen (or attempting it) over Labor Day weekend. It'll be a 4 day weekend, the weather is cooling down. All depends if we want to do an RME Sept. trip elsewhere.

DAA

There's another option that's almost all dirt, including fording the Dolores River.... :eek: That was my plan on the return trip.

Man... I won't be able to make this but I wish I could. I've only done that ford of the Dolores once and that was more than 30 years ago. Well, twice, coming and going, same trip. Was quite the adventure. Would love to revisit. Not in the cards this time though.

- DAA

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Considering making this happen (or attempting it) over Labor Day weekend. It'll be a 4 day weekend, the weather is cooling down. All depends if we want to do an RME Sept. trip elsewhere.
I'm planning on doing something that weekend... whether this trip, the other trip, or a different trip. :D