Ice fishin'

carsonc1974

Well I wouldn't count on many perch, they are few and small if you do hook into some. Crappie is what people are catching in numbers. Ice is pretty solid around cemetery point. I've had good luck north of cemetery point a couple of times this year.

O'neal

?????????
Well I went to get my one dayer....I did not know utah did away with that and went to a minimum of 3.Not payin for 3 day's for a day of fishin,so I'm headin to the gorge 4 in the morn for some burbot and pup's.Bummed me out,I really wanted to hit echo on my way through to pineview or vica-versa.

O'neal

?????????
Yeah....bad deal for sure.The gorge can get ya even when being careful,esp how the ice condition's are this year.I will be up high(lost dog/firehole area) in an area hard to reach and hopefully with good solid ice for an all day adventure and try for burbot part way into the night before going home.Will post up how everything is there,hopefully a fish report.....later's:)

RustEoldtrux

RustEoldtrux
Lost Dog is very treacherous for ice fishing. Natural gas bubbles up from the bottom and thins the ice from underneath. I've seen ice over 2 feet thick go to nearly nothing where the gas bubbles up, and it's hard to see the thin spots. I will never ice fish there again.

O'neal

?????????
Lost Dog is very treacherous for ice fishing. Natural gas bubbles up from the bottom and thins the ice from underneath. I've seen ice over 2 feet thick go to nearly nothing where the gas bubbles up, and it's hard to see the thin spots. I will never ice fish there again.

I didn't know you go ice fishin......I was on the black's fork arm and the ice was great @ 8-10 in from one side to the other,it isn't nearly what it usually is this time of year but it's plenty safe up higher on the res.

O'neal

?????????
Got there at about 6am,left at 8pm from boredom,starving and tired.Only managed a few nice bows throughout the day.....The burbot came in right as the sun set and I managed to take 5 out but it was just getting going as I was leaving.I need to get serious with those burb's,get some tip up's loaded with treble's,or figure a way to have lot's of slack in my auto pole hooker's so they can run before they set as I missed way too many strike's.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Rockport was awesome last season. We were catching awesome bows. It was good enough that it kept my bro from going to the berry all but one time. He normally goes to the berry almost exclusively for ice fishing.

N-Smooth

My bro just called me from Utah Lake. They're catching white bass through the ice just off the Pelican Bay docks. I expect I'll be taking my boys over in the next couple weeks since it's close and easy. It sucks to get the kids all bundled up and go somewhere that's farther away just to have them be turds and want to go home...

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
My bro just called me from Utah Lake. They're catching white bass through the ice just off the Pelican Bay docks. I expect I'll be taking my boys over in the next couple weeks since it's close and easy. It sucks to get the kids all bundled up and go somewhere that's farther away just to have them be turds and want to go home...
The wind killed all the ice yesterday, there was a little ice right by the boat dock but about halfway out in the marina it was back to open water. Maybe the ice came back last night but I wouldn't put a lot of confidence in ice on Utah lake right now. I talked to someone that lives down in Pelican Bay and they were doing great with a small white jig last week.

N-Smooth

The wind killed all the ice yesterday, there was a little ice right by the boat dock but about halfway out in the marina it was back to open water. Maybe the ice came back last night but I wouldn't put a lot of confidence in ice on Utah lake right now. I talked to someone that lives down in Pelican Bay and they were doing great with a small white jig last week.
He just sent me this. He said they aren’t even baiting the jigs, just like last time we fished for white bass there.
1CBDF829-7868-4DAD-9279-C0C08C6D542C.jpeg

shortstraw8

I went up on Socfield with my BIL on Monday, only spent about 4hrs up there. The ice by the damn is 12-15".

Got a little one, my son wanted to keep it but I should have released her, lots of eggs.
20201221_134634.jpg

There were a good amount of people, but only two groups really catching anything. One of those groups was very intoxicated and sounded like they were catching a fish every few minutes. No one that we talked to caught and muskies which is what we were really going for.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Wow that's crazy, I dropped off my daughter last night in Pelican bay and it looked like it was taking a beating. It does look like most people are using the dock for a seat so that makes me feel a little safer. ;) I got to confess I've never fished Utah lake, I've lived up the street for almost 20 years. Just never fished for white bass or catfish in Utah.