Ideal car for bombing dirt roads?

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
I work in a rural area of Southern Utah, and find myself driving out to Gooseberry Mesa or Little Creek Mesa, and around the community a couple times per week. Current car is a Honda Civic, but it has been taking a beating lately, and I've owned it for 18 months, so it's time for something different.

Most of the roads are graded regularly, but with occasionally rutting and a fair amount of wash-board. The roads can be really bad when wet, but I don't ever need to go somewhere that isn't paved, so I can definitely get away with 2wd. Ground clearance can be an issue, but the civic has gotten me where I need to go, so not really an issue. It will be commuting ~60 miles/day, so fuel economy is a factor.

The budget is CHEAP... less than $5k.

What's cheap, durable, reliable(ish) and can take a beating?

Considerations so far:

XJ/ZJ/WJ - Kind of boring
Small truck - Ranger/Colorado/Frontier

Lifted Volvo XC70/90 - I know nothing about these?

xc70.jpg

Outback is probably the answer, but don't really care for them. I could do a forester though?

forester.jpg

Or offer @Gravy a few rolls of toilet paper for his prerunner ranger?

ranger.jpg

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Mazda-NA-MX-5-lifted-supercharged-rally-fun.jpg

boogie_4wheel

First generation Ford Escape?
I have an '05 V6 AWD with a little over 298k mi. Decent flex, decent ground clearance, 24mpg running 75-80 and I've been able to squeeze over 25 numerous times.

I used to travel for work (resulting in the mileage). Daily dirt/mud roads when I was at Barrick Gold. It ate tie rod ends, but has original struts and ball joints.

It's seen plenty of dirt roads and been on 3 wheels. Handles like a car. Easy oil changes. Alternator is low and hard to change. Rear seats fold flat. Road noise is louder than average regardless of tire tread type but not terrible.

I'm very tempted to get another one when/if mine dies. Might try a slightly newer one with the 6spd auto, but would like the simplicity of a first gen with a 5M.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I purchased a crosstrek and have been bombing around the Big Island in it, not sure if you'd be able to find one for sub 5k but good option

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
Goblin with taller coilovers and dirt tires. :p

YES! This is not a bad option... however, it would be nice to have another car for bad weather days. I'm planning on the Goblin being a 70% daily driver. On days I drive out to the goose I'd take the beater.

The more I think about the lifted crown vic, the more I like the idea. I love the idea of having a cool custom daily driver, and also driving to work in a trashy beater sometimes too.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I vote just a 2wd car but with a slight lift. I mean yeah, you could do a Subaru or something but that would be boring. some of the best times I've had on dirt roads were in cars that were not made for what I was doing.