Jeep ID'ing Dana 300 aftermarket parts

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I found a deal on a built Dana 300, but the seller didn't build it, sounds like he bought it with a CJ that he is now parting out.

He thinks the 4 to 1 gears are TeraLow, but isn't sure. Any way to identify these while in the case, that anyone knows of?

And he doesn't know if it has HD outputs, I'd imagine if someone added the 4 to 1, at the very least they added a rear HD output shaft.

I just want to verify before I buy....

Greg

Admin
That helps, I think LowMax and TeraLow are the only options, right?

I understand the costs to build one, which is why I want this one. I'll be running one in the Willys Crawler, but this one popped up with 4 to 1 gears, twin sticks and possibly a HD rear output for $400. So it's a bargin and I won't have $2000 into it. ;)

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
The HD rear output will have an aluminum tailhousing...I think the stock one will be cast iron? At least the 1980 short-output version was.

thenag

My d300 has the aluminum tail housing, I believe it is stock. I know it is aluminum since I had to re-locate the breather and filled the OEM hole with aluminum welding rod...

You should be able to shift it into 4 low by hand and turn the case and and see if it is 4:1 or not.

Another thing to consider is the d300 flipped will probably leak, an atlas will probably not, however there is a little bit of comfort knowing that most parts for a d300 can be found on the shelf at napa or six states, and 1310 yokes are practically laying on the ground at junk yards.

Nathan

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
I have put many tera 4:1 gears in Dana 300's and have never had to grind the case. Greg, I have a almost complete tera 4:1 gear set just sitting on the shelf. I snapped a pic of the numbers on the center gear, but it the side that has the number is the large gear and is next to the case. If by chance you can see the side of that gear I can send you my pic. Too dumb to know how to post pics these days :shawn:

Greg

Admin
$400 for a “built” D300 would be ideal. Does it have the correct input for your trans?

I already have a JB Conversions 4L60E input shaft in my stock D300, so it would be an easy swap!

My d300 has the aluminum tail housing, I believe it is stock. I know it is aluminum since I had to re-locate the breather and filled the OEM hole with aluminum welding rod...

You should be able to shift it into 4 low by hand and turn the case and and see if it is 4:1 or not.

Another thing to consider is the d300 flipped will probably leak, an atlas will probably not, however there is a little bit of comfort knowing that most parts for a d300 can be found on the shelf at napa or six states, and 1310 yokes are practically laying on the ground at junk yards.

Nathan

I agree, hoping I can shift it into low and see how many turns the output makes compared to the input. I still want to pull the cover and look at the internals, for peace of mind.

Greg

Admin
I have put many tera 4:1 gears in Dana 300's and have never had to grind the case. Greg, I have a almost complete tera 4:1 gear set just sitting on the shelf. I snapped a pic of the numbers on the center gear, but it the side that has the number is the large gear and is next to the case. If by chance you can see the side of that gear I can send you my pic. Too dumb to know how to post pics these days :shawn:

No worries, Shawn!

Here's a tutorial on posting pics.... ;)

https://www.rme4x4.com/threads/neat-features-with-the-xenforo-forum-software.114005/#post-1092237

Greg

Admin
So the guy had a stock Dana 300 with twin sticks.... :rolleyes: Put it in 4 low, spun it and 2.7 turns of the input for every 1 turn of the output. He swore it had a 4 to 1. Looks like the deal was too good to be true!