If you could only choose 3 firearms - which would you choose?

ID Bronco

OK, so I got this from an article I read today. I want to see what you all think on this. I am particularly interested in the choices of a few of you.

For the sake of argument and discussion, let’s say for whatever reason you could only have 3 firearms and 300 rounds of ammo for each. Which three firearms would you choose and why? (why meaning defense, hunting, ect)

Let's hear it. I am still debating in my own head. I think I have all three I would choose.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Glock pistol in some form for protection, torn between a large cal rifle for big game eating or a .22. And a shotgun for bird eating, assuming this is for a survival situation

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
The 300 rounds of ammunition is what's throwing me, if we're only talking 300 rounds each and price isn't a concern then this becomes something I wouldn't do if I only could have 3 guns with unlimited ammunition.

the only 300 rounds each list...
8 Gauge shotgun
50BMG
M198 (hey a guy can dream big).

If you're not dreaming then something like a 12 Gauge, 308 and 22 would cover basic needs.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
I think

12 gauge
Glock 20
AR-15

All of which can serve as protection, the AR and the 20 double as hunting rounds for general game. Including the 10mm as a great woods defense gun against predators.

12 gauge for birds and small game as well.

LT.

Interesting idea. Rifle Shooter Magazine just did an article about the four calibers every hunter needs. The author chose 22lr, .204, .270 win, and .338 win mag.

I would leave the shot gun out on this one. For home defense it is too slow to bring up to bear for my likings. A 45 acp pistol would be one of my choices as well as a 25-06 and a 30-06. Same cartridge just different bullets. Either case could be made to work in either system.

LT.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
.223 .556 ar 15, .22 lr 10/22 takedown. 12 gauge. but I really want a glock 20 sf. If there was a 4th choice

skeptic

I think if the question was re-worded to 3 guns and X pounds of ammo you'd get different answers. Also, you didn't specify a situation so I'm going to assume this is just today, no apocalypse going on.

9mm Pistol (PX4)
AR-15 in 300 blackout
10/22 take-down

If you let me cheat just a little:
add a 5.56 barrel for the AR-15
swap the 10/22 for a Beretta Neos + carbine kit (technically and legally still one gun, but you get both a pistol and a small light-weight carbine).

Since we are talking about round count, not weight or cost, I might actually swap out the .22lr for a Beretta CX4 configured to share mags with the PX4.

ID Bronco

Great ideas, many of the same thoughts I had, Who know's what will happen tomorrow, so no situation is known.

I think I would go with

.45 1911
and a 12 guage

I am a little torn between a .22 magnum lever action or a .45 pistol.

My mind tends to go more toward killing game over people, but who knows.

skeptic

I'm a bit surprised that anyone would not include a pistol, although some of you are probably surprised that anyone (including me) wouldn't take a shotgun. My number 4 would be shotgun, and I suspect the few people that didn't include a pistol would have one as their number 4.

ID Bronco

A shotgun a rifle and a pistol.

- DAA

You are one I was hoping would give some specifics. Which ones and why if you don't mind. I value your opinion. (somehow you have become a virtual survival wizard in my mind)

I'm a bit surprised that anyone would not include a pistol, although some of you are probably surprised that anyone (including me) wouldn't take a shotgun. My number 4 would be shotgun, and I suspect the few people that didn't include a pistol would have one as their number 4.

I am absolutely in that boat. For me, I use a shot gun for most of my pursuits anyway (ducks, grouse, pheasant, rabbits, ect) so it's a no brainer, and it would stop a lot of threats too. The pistol is tough, I would want it for easy carry purposes, to stop threats, ect, but can shoot game with a rifle much better than with a pistol. I also think about my .223 instead of the pistol.

Last edited:

DAA

Ahhh... Survival would be a different matter. I was just naming three for my regular life as it is.

Would depend totally on exactly what kind of survival. Depopulated anarchy? I'd go more towards precision on the rifle, would keep the shotgun for sure but would have to think about whether to go pistol or another more battle style rifle for the third. Anarchy without heavy depopulation? All the people still around but no civil society and not enough basic items of food and clean water available, I'd go all out on tactical and mass destruction - all Class 3 or military only type stuff - everything would be geared towards killing people. Lots of people. I wouldn't worry about running out of ammo, my plan would include a lot of foraging off dead people. Just wilderness type survival? I'd only want one and it would be a light rifle, chambering and sight system would depend on the actual place and type of terrain and animals. Might consider a pistol too, but probably not - I'd want to go light for wilderness survival and the rifle would be for taking game for food, but, again, if I need protection from lions and tigers and bears that would need to be accounted for in chambering and sighting system choices.

Am I trying to hold on and defend a position, or am I not tied down to any place? Is there organized/disciplined threat to contend with like I'm being hunted by the gov't or fighting them, or just other folks like me - to include those that have banded together? Am I on foot or do I have transportation or the opportunity to take transportation? My choices would vary with all those different scenarios.

I really can't get specific without knowing specifically what the situation I'm faced with is. But, the over all theme is going to be keeping weight down and the chances for ammo resupply high. Unless of course the situation includes no possibility of ammo resupply.

- DAA

skeptic

Ahhh... Survival would be a different matter. I was just naming three for my regular life as it is.

Would depend totally on exactly what kind of survival. Depopulated anarchy? I'd go more towards precision on the rifle, would keep the shotgun for sure but would have to think about whether to go pistol or another more battle style rifle for the third. Anarchy without heavy depopulation? All the people still around but no civil society and not enough basic items of food and clean water available, I'd go all out on tactical and mass destruction - all Class 3 or military only type stuff - everything would be geared towards killing people. Lots of people. I wouldn't worry about running out of ammo, my plan would include a lot of foraging off dead people. Just wilderness type survival? I'd only want one and it would be a light rifle, chambering and sight system would depend on the actual place and type of terrain and animals. Might consider a pistol too, but probably not - I'd want to go light for wilderness survival and the rifle would be for taking game for food, but, again, if I need protection from lions and tigers and bears that would need to be accounted for in chambering and sighting system choices.

Am I trying to hold on and defend a position, or am I not tied down to any place? Is there organized/disciplined threat to contend with like I'm being hunted by the gov't or fighting them, or just other folks like me - to include those that have banded together? Am I on foot or do I have transportation or the opportunity to take transportation? My choices would vary with all those different scenarios.

I really can't get specific without knowing specifically what the situation I'm faced with is. But, the over all theme is going to be keeping weight down and the chances for ammo resupply high. Unless of course the situation includes no possibility of ammo resupply.

- DAA

Yes, pick 3 guns for a survival situation would be different, and different situations would call for different guns. In a live-off-the-land type situation, I'd have a real hard time not including a 410/.22WMR (or .22lr) over and under. I'm at a bit of a disadvantage compared to a lot of you, I have a poultry intolerance. Can't eat eggs, chicken, turkey, and I'd guess any other kind of bird. Makes a 12G shotgun a lot less valuable to me.