I'm a sucker for neat engines...

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
:D

So I picked up a new aluminum LS 5.3 block and LS1 heads a few weeks ago.... thought about putting it in the Willys, but it's probably too much for 1/2 ton parts and 37's. So I have a builder LS engine, but nothing to put it in.

20171220_112254-L.jpg

Then, another "good deal" came up today.... a complete, running Isuzu 4BD1T. This is a 4 cyl turbo diesel, similar to the Cummins 4BT... but smoother, quieter and smaller. With some work (injectors, better turbo, intercooler) they can put out around 400-450 ft/lbs and get 25-28 MPG. This one came out of a truck that had 130k miles on it, but also has a 'rebuilt' tag on the side of the block. The guy drove the truck before pulling it and said it ran great! Again, I have nothing to put it in.... but a TJ pickup that was stretched on 33's would make for a neat daily driver!

20180110_142206.jpg

I really need to get back to work... distract myself from finding all these neat engines!

Magerdgr

Have gun, will travel

So I picked up a new aluminum LS 5.3 block and LS1 heads a few weeks ago.... thought about putting it in the Willys, but it's probably too much for 1/2 ton parts. So I have a builder LS engine, but nothing to put it in.

20171220_112254-L.jpg

Then, another "good deal" came up today.... a complete, running Isuzu 4BD1T. This is a 4 cyl turbo diesel, similar to the Cummins 4BT... but smoother, quieter and smaller. With some work (injectors, better turbo, intercooler) they can put out around 400-450 ft/lbs and get 25-28 MPG. This one came out of a truck that had 130k miles on it, but also has a 'rebuilt' tag on the side of the block. The guy drive the truck before pulling it and said it ran great! Again, I have nothing to put it in.... but a TJ pickup that was stretched on 33's would make for a neat daily driver!

View attachment 111019

There is a gently wrecked '99 TJ on KSL for $1000, be a great builder.

Tonkaman

So I picked up a new aluminum LS 5.3 block and LS1 heads a few weeks ago.... thought about putting it in the Willys, but it's probably too much for 1/2 ton parts and 37's. So I have a builder LS engine, but nothing to put it in.

20171220_112254-L.jpg

Then, another "good deal" came up today.... a complete, running Isuzu 4BD1T. This is a 4 cyl turbo diesel, similar to the Cummins 4BT... but smoother, quieter and smaller. With some work (injectors, better turbo, intercooler) they can put out around 400-450 ft/lbs and get 25-28 MPG. This one came out of a truck that had 130k miles on it, but also has a 'rebuilt' tag on the side of the block. The guy drove the truck before pulling it and said it ran great! Again, I have nothing to put it in.... but a TJ pickup that was stretched on 33's would make for a neat daily driver!

View attachment 111019

I really need to get back to work... distract myself from finding all these neat engines!

Oh hell yeah! I like where this is headed

Greg

Admin
I have enough project Jeeps..... for now. ;) I think both the LS and 4BD1T are going to sit for awhile. Eventually I'll do something with them.

Greg

Admin
Greg, the LS could "sit" in one of my jeeps while you wait...:cool:

I bet, Dave! You're not the first to be so generous to help me find a place to store it! :p

I need that Jeep like I need another hole in an engine.

:eek:

How much do those Isuzu diesels go for these days?

I paid $800 for this one and feel like I overpaid a little, but it was running. I had 2 of these Isuzu engines awhile ago that were builders to make one complete engine along with a bunch of aftermarket parts that I sold for $1800. - https://www.rme4x4.com/threads/2-isuzu-4bd1t-diesel-engines-w-extras.105138/#post-998237

Must have sold because the ad is gone

Figured it would go quick! I'm nowhere near ready for another Jeep project.

Why wouldn't you put the 4BD1T in the Willys Crawler?

I could, but it just doesn't seem like the best use for the 4BD1T. They're very heavy at 750#'s, the Vortec 4.3 is almost half that weight. I think the 4.3 would do a lot better when you needed RPM's to climb something.

I really think a rig that was setup for overlanding/back country driving would be the best use for it. At 25 MPG with a 20+ gallon tank, that's 500 miles of range.... I think a TJ pickup on 1/2 ton axles with 108" wheelbase and 35's would be kickass!

Greg

Admin
Personally, the cool factor of the 4bd in a flaty over rides the weight. That is so cool!

X-D

While I agree that it's cool, I just don't think it would work well in the Flatty for what I want to do. I think the way the 4BD1T makes power, wouldn't be great for shooting up ledges. Plus, the cost of making it work verses the 4.3 is pretty substantial.

Noahfecks

El Destructo!
I take comfort in the fact that Greg has sourced and stored motors for my upcoming projects. Thanks Greg!

I have a 54 Chevy truck that is just aching for that 5.3 and my GTO is almost done :devil:

That diesel appears to be properly configured for and early 80 series when you decide to come back from the dark side

Greg

Admin
I take comfort in the fact that Greg has sourced and stored motors for my upcoming projects. Thanks Greg!

I have a 54 Chevy truck that is just aching for that 5.3 and my GTO is almost done :devil:

That diesel appears to be properly configured for and early 80 series when you decide to come back from the dark side

Oh come on.... that GTO has been "almost done" for 5 years now!! At that rate, I'll have a vehicle for both engines before you can put them to work!

:cody: