Improving a AR-15 reliability ?

Toad

I recently got a used Armalite AR15 from a friend. He bought the gun new. All stock. A month ago I put 30 rounds through it and it did great. Put it away in the safe and forgot about it. Shot it this weekend and it jammed up 4 or 5 times in 20 rounds. I knew these guns can be picky if they are not clean. But 30 rounds. Really?? Is there a way to fix this problem? I did a quick google search and found some forums talking about some different buffers and springs. I have no idea what this stuff is or were to get them. Any suggestions?

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I'm an armorer for the military and can try to help you out with your problem.

I'll tell you the problems we experience the most, 90% of all our malfunctions/jams come from bad magazines or improperly seated mags

Your buffer and spring should not be a problem, it typically takes thousands of rounds before your should have to replace these.

Also what kind of ammo are you using?

try to polish up your feed ramp with crocus cloth if there are any burrs or pits on it

also AR's don't like to be really dry especially when new, put a LIGHT coat of oil on your bolt where it touches the bolt carrier, and a small dab on the cam pin

if these are to dry especially on a tight gun the bolt will not fully lock

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
My guess is that needs a good cleaning more than anything. Your last 30 rounds probaby just added to the collection of dirt from the previous thousands of rounds. The combination of ammo and magazines could also be part of the issue.

Toad

My buddy had completely cleaned the fire arm before giving it to me. The ammo is the Remington 223 20 round box cheap stuff from Sportsmans Warehouse. Same as I shot in it a month ago. It would eject the fired shell but would jam up chambering the next round.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Failure to feed is probably again going to be a bad mag or not properly seated mag, dirty or pitted feed ramp, dry gun

give the feed ramp a quick wipe down, little bit of lube on the bolt and make sure you smack the mag good and that it's seated all the way before you fire, also if you are using the mag to grip the weapon i.e. applying rearward pressure while firing that can also cause ftf

I've put nearing a 1000 rounds through M4's with no cleaning and no malfunctions, but if that cheap ammo burns dirty a few rounds can gum up your feed ramp

Let me know what happens when you shoot again