Insurance Home/Auto/Etc. Who do you like?

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I have been with Bear River for 15+ years. They insure my home, and they insured all of my vehicles until recently. To date, I've never filed a claim with them for anything, so I cannot comment on that (lack of) experience. Their rates sure are great, though (and I carry more than the legal minimum requirements).

When I started to build the Grand Prix, I quickly realized I wanted/needed a stated value policy on it. Bear River doesn't do those, so I had to look elsewhere. After a few hijinks with Grundy and Hagerty, I ended up with American Collectors. They let me choose my value ($20k), and it comes in at only $285 for the year. Nice. I am about to call them up and add my Shelby to that policy as well so it, too, can have stated value coverage.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
... When I started to build the Grand Prix, I quickly realized I wanted/needed a stated value policy on it. Bear River doesn't do those, so I had to look elsewhere. After a few hijinks with Grundy and Hagerty, I ended up with American Collectors. They let me choose my value ($20k), and it comes in at only $285 for the year. Nice. I am about to call them up and add my Shelby to that policy as well so it, too, can have stated value coverage.

Good to know, I was thinking Hagerty for the El Camino once it's time for plates and insurance.

On the off-road subject, Bear River insured my unimog as a 1-ton truck way back when. They have grandfathered it in now, but my agent told me that if I ever drop it, they would not re-insure it.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I use Nationwide through Hill Insurance in Orem. Cover my vehicles and home. Their rates have been pretty fair IMO.

This thread reminded me to get ins on my buggy so I just went through Hill again and now have coverage on it through Progressive, as I guess Nationwide won't do it.

Last edited:

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Good to know, I was thinking Hagerty for the El Camino once it's time for plates and insurance.

My story, in a nutshell: I wanted stated value. I called Hagerty, who said they do stated value for any amount. They asked me, "how do you use your car?" Since it is registered as Vintage, I am legally limited in its use (as most of you know). I explained this to her, then gave her details: I drive it to car shows, I take it on pleasure drives, it does go on occasional errands and/or to work but it is not my daily driver--I have three other cars to do that. She told me to go ahead and apply, so I did. I got a rejection letter in the mail. It itemized why I was rejected: Hagerty will not insure cars driven on errands. Hagerty will not insure cars driven to work. Hagerty will not insure cars driven to shows. They wouldn't list a single place I could actually drive the thing. It seemed that the only time I could be insured by Hagerty was if my car was locked in my garage--the second I back it down the driveway and one tire touches the street, I'd have no coverage. Thanks for nothing.

I then called Grundy. First question I asked: "Can I actually drive the car you insure?" Sure! "What about a stated value policy?" Yep, you can do that, too! "Great, because I want a $20k policy on my Grand Prix." No problem--just apply! So I went through the entire application process, including sending in photos. I received an acceptance letter in the mail offering me a stated value policy for $6000. WTF? I gave them a call, reminding them I applied for a $20k policy. "We'll only insure that car for up to $6000." I told her to take a hike and cancel my application.

Desperate, I asked some online friends for suggestions. Numerous guys said to try American Collectors, so I called. Not only do they let you drive the car, but you can choose an annual mileage allotment which fits your needs (I selected 5,000 miles per year). I then selected my desired coverage amount, and the gal didn't even blink an eye. They sent me a policy, I signed it and returned it with my check, and I was covered for $20k. Easy.

I should have started with them.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
I use Nationwide for our home, boat and auto (work with agents at Insurance Concepts, who I also use for my business). Have always been happy with the service.

Our situation is a little more complicated in that most companies don't want to provide homeowners coverage with our horses. With that taken into account, Nationwide was the least expensive.

I also have a good friend who has recently entered the insurance business. I can pass his info along to anyone wanting another agent option.

Hi Drew,
Can you send me your friends information?

Thanks,

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
had allstate for the last 10 years. just saved 800 a year by switching to state farm. 3 vehicles and 1 house

Who's shocked I have an opinion? I was with Allstate for 17 years or so. Had a claim for the south Davis County "windpocalypse" in Dec 2011 (?) and got totally screwed compared to my neighbors with similar/same policies/adjusters. After the house claim debacle, they conveniently didn't apply an auto policy payment and I lost my "long term customer" discount with them about 6-8 months after that. I started with Allstate in 1989. Significant discount after that long. I had teenage drivers coming up so I shopped around a bit. After the payment thing and house claim (getting handed an $800 check for my roof and my vinyl fence---$-5k out of pocket--my neighbors all got decent settlements with less damage), I terminated coverage with Allstate. Ended up with State Farm. ALLSTATE CAN GO RIGHT TO HELL from my perspective. They can kiss my ass forever after that. Allstate still makes my blood boil whenever I hear the name or see/hear a commercial

Haven't had any real issues at all with State Farm and I've casually looked a couple of times in the past 7-8 years off and on. They are reasonably competitive and pretty easy to deal with on the few claims we have had.

I have State Farm for everything, very happy. Matt Howard in North Salt Lake is great!

I have same agent. He's been good to work with

Robby Flandro's wife is an agent. If I start investigating again, I'd likely see what she could do for me.

kmboren

Recovering XJ owner anonymous
Bear river for me. Have had a couple claims and have not been dropped. Still cheaper than most out there. Been very happy with them. We use GMI insurance as the brocker. They are located in Provo I think.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Hey Everyone,
Just to follow up and add some closure to all of this.

I ended up dropping Allstate and picking up coverage with MetLife. They have an additional discount through my new Job and a local guy who is easy to work with,

It ended up being quite a bit cheaper with all the bells and whistles I prefer, so I thought I would share his infomation in case anyone finds this thread and looking for someone to work with.

Dan Kasteler
Met Life
Sandy, UT.
801-748-29OO

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
In my experience if you stay with an insurance company for more than 5 years, you are paying too much.
I was dropped by Nationwide after 1 speeding ticket when my parents had been paying the policy for 20 years, that taught me to have zero loyalty. I shop every couple years and have always been able to find a lower rate somewhere else after 3-4 years with any company.

We had Esurance for a while and they were really cheap. Had one tow on them and the tow driver said they covered more than most would for what that's worth. When I bought the tow pig they consider it a medium duty truck (highest GVWR F350, odd) and don't cover it so I had to switch. I am now with Bear river, have had my wife run into a rock and two teenagers have small fender benders and they have been fantastic to deal with and are the cheapest I can find of all the previously names companies. I have the house and 7 cars insured through them. Toys are all through progressive like everyone else.