Invite: AF Canyon Hiking tomorrow, Sat may 17th

sixstringsteve

I'm going hiking up AF Canyon tomorrow morning if anyone wants to join - Sat, May 17th.

Meet @ tibble fork @ 8:30 AM.
Arrive back @ tibble fork @ 330 PM. Bring water, a filter, and lunch.

The trails up AF Canyon are still closed to horses, bikes, and motorcycles, so it should be pretty quiet up there. We may get to see some great wildlife.

Leaving tibble fork at 8:30 AM, hiking up 40 to Mill Canyon Spring, then to 157 (ridge/gw trail) to 171 down to Forest Lake, then down 194 to 085. We'll be hiking pretty quick to be able to cover the 14+ miles in 7 hours.

Here's the GPS:
link

Conditions will include dry dirt, potentially some mud, and potential for occasional snow drifts. We'll have one river crossing that's around 20" deep. It'll be an adventure.

Open invite to anyone in good hiking shape and their dogs.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

I'm no skinny guy, but I can hike at a decent speed without needing to stop. You don't need to be a marathon runner, but you do need to be able to maintain 2 MPH uphill in order to complete this trip.

sixstringsteve

We had a great hike. we knocked out 10.5 miles. Wish we could have done more. We'll be back next week to try to knock the entire thing out.

Despite this sign being at the beginning of all singletrack trailheads, we still saw horses and dirt bikes up there. I have no problem with them using the trail when it's permitted, but it's a black eye on their sport when they ignore the signs and decide to run it anyway. One equestrian we talked to said "hey, I paid my $45 at the gate, so I should be allowed to ride up here. If a ranger comes, I'll just tell him I didn't know." Awesome. Way to go man.

IMG_20140517_143543_176.jpg

IMG_20140517_143537_432.jpg

We took 41 on up to mill canyon spring.

IMG_20140517_090339_555.jpg

It was pretty, but not as pretty as it'll be in a month. The trees are still asleep and their leaves haven't come back yet.

My phone takes awesome pics that are always in focus. Who needs a DSLR when you can get images like this out of your phone?

IMG_20140517_092116_742.jpg

IMG_20140517_092433_410.jpg

Lisa and Tess watching a butterfly

IMG_20140517_100147_641.jpg

Running in to the first of the snow on the switchbacks on trail 41. There were several downed tress which kept the motos and horses back.

IMG_20140517_100601_929.jpg

IMG_20140517_104955_387.jpg

Finally reaching the top of the switchbacks.

IMG_20140517_113431_461.jpg

To Mill Canyon Spring.

1400349070653.jpg

The back side of Mt. Timpanogos on the left.

IMG_20140517_115652_437.jpg

IMG_20140517_122418_359.jpg

Along the ridge we could see back into Provo Peak.

IMG_20140517_124224_385.jpg

It was a good hike. Unfortunately we weren't able to do the loop we intended, but it was good nonetheless. I'll be going back for revenge soon, before there are too many dirt bikes and horses and mt bikes there.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I would tell them they are the reason things get closed, then be on my way. I hate people who intentionally don't follow the rules. When we rode porcupine the bike trail forks off the 4x4 trail for the last few miles. There were 3 sets of posts and signs stating no motorized vehicles. Two UTVs were down past those posts behind us. They stopped when it got too narrow with a cliff on one side. I asked if they knew how to read and got a dumb look in return.

Trails look great though. Thanks for the pics. I'll have to take a hike this week with my boy.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

sixstringsteve

yeah, the trails are almost ready for dirt bikes. I don't expect the yellow signs to be up much longer.

It's pretty fun to see these trails on foot, especially with no dirt bikes buzzing around. Don't get me wrong, I think it's the greatest place to dirt bike in the world, and I'm all for keeping it open to dirt bikes, but a week or two of solitude just hiking is really nice.

Once those yellow signs are gone, I'll be up there every week on my MTB.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
yeah, the trails are almost ready for dirt bikes. I don't expect the yellow signs to be up much longer.

It's pretty fun to see these trails on foot, especially with no dirt bikes buzzing around. Don't get me wrong, I think it's the greatest place to dirt bike in the world, and I'm all for keeping it open to dirt bikes, but a week or two of solitude just hiking is really nice.

Once those yellow signs are gone, I'll be up there every week on my MTB.

Me too.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk