Official Is a rooftop tent (RTT) for me?

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Will you be around at the shop this Saturday? I would love to swing by and have a look-see! Lemme know. Thanks!

Hit/miss this time of year on Saturdays as we're usually out playing. There is a chance I'm around in the morning, I'll know for sure on Friday if you want to ring me and confirm.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Sorry, nothing we currently offer. We have looked at doing something and still may one day. Trouble is mounting time and setting up the height for different rigs. Easy when doing a semi-permanent install... not so much when focusing on quick on install.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Each week at the shop we get calls/emails from manufactures of various 4x4 related products, some that we have heard of and many more that we have not. We've seen a huge trend over the past 3-4 years with copy/paste knockoff products that innovate by changing the logo and often providing substandard materials and customer service, all while touting their lower price point as the best reason to buy. Sadly many new (and sometimes old) companies take this bait insert their logo on the product and tell everyone about their new and innovative product offering.

Roof top tents seem to be the latest trend, I was sitting around a campfire with customers last week and heard of a half dozen new roof-top-tent offering just here in the U.S. The trend is identical, hey are a knockoff tent of an existing model, they tout their lower price as the ultimate selling point and they'll often tell you how they come from the same factory as XYZ tents, etc. I had one vendor tell me how they come from the same factory in China as the popular Eezi-Awn tents. He didn't quite know how to respond to the fact I've spent time in Eezi-Awns South Africa facility watching them manufacture their tents.

image.jpg

Just last week on Expediton Portal an Oregon company claimed to be the "one of the original creators of roof top tents", one small problem, they've been in business since just 2014. Another "insert logo here" tent company claimed to have some killer ideas and technology in his tents on a recent forum post. When asked how his tent was innovative given it is identical to the 30 other tents bearing the identical look, he went in to detail the changes he was going to make once he has some money to compete meanwhile selling the same knockoff with his innovative logo. Reward innovation and spend your hard earned dollars with a company that can show innovation. Tepui, CVT and others started off with the same carbon copies of older ARB versions but they've shown their colors and started really briniging unique stuff to the market.

image.jpg

RTT's are going to continue to get more mainstream. For the past few years we are seeing more at venues like SEMA and the Outdoor Retailer Show and companies like Smittybilt are offering them through their nationwide distribution. As such, your going to see smaller companies try and hop in the market. They'll buy tents in Alibaba or respond to an email, perhaps even meet a rep at SEMA or some other international business venue. They will buy 6-8 tents, get their name printed on them, have zero control over quality, actual material and tell you how they are the best thing on the market :D

Last edited:

theferg

DD for Life
On my way to Green River last week, I was very surprised at the countless number of vehicles passing me (from both directions :p ) that had roof top tents on them. It seemed every 20 cars or so, there would be one with a roof tent on it--and not all of them were your "standard overland" type vehicle. Lots of stock 4x4 types, and a handful of subarus as well. Def seem to be becoming more mainstream...

Having had two different rooftop tents and spent a handful of nights both in them and as well without them, I can safely say, the rooftop tent is def a great solution for my camping style, especially when I've got my smaller kids with me. My first tent was one of the cheaper ones being offered several years ago, but by a company that had made a decent name for theirself after a couple years (Camping Labs, which has since gone out of business...). It was an ok tent, and not really knowing anything else, I felt it was fine for me. I sold that one and then a couple years later bought a slightly used ARB tent. That tent seemed MILES ahead in structure and material than what I remembered my first tent being. I have no doubt that if compared side by side, and used the same amount of times, the ARB would have no doubt beaten the camping labs handily.

I agree that it can be a good deal more money up front for the larger, well-known, established brands tents, but, if you have already figured out whether or not a roof tent is actually for you or not, then you will most likely be able to see (like I figured out) that paying a bit more for a quality product--and with an established company that won't just be disappearing after a year or less--is absolutely worth it in the long-run.

I am currently without a roof tent and I have been finding ways to continue to camp, but they are not my favorite, most convenient ways, and will be getting back into a roof tent setup asap.

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
So my initial list (post #1) was pretty current when I wrote that in 2009. Fast forward and these are just a few of the new names in U.S. RTT offerings:

23 Zero (Utah based too)
Adventure Sole
Anaconda
Bigfoot
Bundutec
Camco
CVT
EcoTrek
Feldon
Freespirit Recreation
Front Runner
Geo4wd
Gordigear
Hinterland/Hitents
IKamper
James Baroud
Odin Designs
O-Spec
OverRoam Roof Top Tent (Denver Outfitters)
OverlandLabs
OverlandingOffroad: http://www.overlandingoffroad.com/index.php
Roam Adventure Co (copy/paste design)
Roost
Sahara 4x4
Smittybilt
Tepui
TopTent
TJM
Tuff Stuff
Treelike Outdoors
Wild Coast Tents

Last edited:

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
I liked the one I had for a few months.

But 4 kids killed it for me. Two toddlers and two Tweens. The tweens slept in the annex. But the babies were up with us.

It's a cool idea with just the wife and I. I'll get another one in about 10 years.

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
I have a no-name rtt from china, looks to be from the same manufacturers as some of the big name companies. Very good quality. However, I have done business in china, toured factories over there, and guys I work with have manufacturing companies based in China. Here is the rule: chinese manufacturers are the biggest copy cats on the planet. As soon as they see a market demand, dozens of knock off shops will start making similar tents with far cheaper materials. Definitely a good warning to watch out for knock off brands. If a company is able to invest in customer and warranty support, US facilities, and significant branding and marketing, they have likely done the necessary due diligence on quality control, and is a much better investment.

But yeah, prepare for the deluge of cheapo rtt's that is set to flood the market.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
No more Eezi-Awn? I heard those were really heavy but pretty quiet due to the canvas they were made out of?

This list is just new companies offering tents since I last updated :eek:

Most are copy/past of the same few designs, change the color and you can call yourself "innovative" :D

Eezi-Awn, Autohome, ARB, etc are all still alive and well!

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
One long time company that just added their name to the RTT vendors just this summer is Yakima. I thought that was interesting.

After wanting to demo an RTT for a few years I got one all lined up for July then ended up just ordering a Tepui from Adam. I've really enjoyed using it the few trips I've been able to and it has helped me wrangle my son and get him out camping. I've managed 8 nights if I'm counting right since July four of those were with the little guy. It was expensive for sure but at this point I'm very happy with it and see us getting a lot of good use from it. I appreciate all the people on here that I've chatted to about them which led me to make the purchase.