Official Is a rooftop tent (RTT) for me?

MOODY

Bald Guy
Nicely done, Kurt. I think you have covered the highs and lows of a RTT.

I can foresee my going back into one for the next rig I build.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
How hard is it to spell my name correctly, Wyatt? Look to your left.
And yes I know, I'm an oddball, but you just wait and see!

yeah, Wyatt-- it's spelled "STEPHAN" like any good Frenchman. Get a clue!! :rofl:

This is a good article. I've been pondering the RTT question for a good while and have pretty much decided I really don't need one. Why? Because I am either in a Blazer, which isn't really RTT-friendly, or a fullsize GM product, which has enough interior room to render a tent kind of ridiculous.. :D

I do like that cap-style deal, that looks pretty good. Either that or a sort of .. lower RTT, like a tonneau-mounted deal maybe. My "expedition" rig is probably going to end up being the dually-- holds everything, lower ground pressure on teh rear, fits 5 inside, and can tow another rig in or out, or wherever. :D

anyway, excellent article, I thought it covered the bases pretty well. With what RTT's cost, there are some excellent points worth considering.

theferg

DD for Life
i found a rtt that look good to me for the price here a link to the site http://www.trdparts4u.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=-5630

That's the same size I went with but I got mine from CampingLab. I paid $650 shipped. That price on that mombasa looks to be a pretty good deal as well, depending on what shipping will run you. And I'm not too sure, but I thought I had heard the CampingLab tents are pretty darn close to--if not the same as--the Mombasas. I'm sure Kurt and others can confirm--I don't want to look for that answer right now... :p

As far as the size goes--it being the smaller of all the standard flip-style RTTs--it appears to be a nice sized 2-manner+a-bit-of-gear, but I think larger folks would need to either snuggle or sleep head-to-toe.

FWIW, I haven't spent a night in mine yet after two months of having it, but that's mainly because myself or a member of my family seems to continually be under the weather so far this season. I plan to regularly be using it a lot this coming year though. I ain't no glamper posuer...I swear!

-Ferg-

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
... And I'm not too sure, but I thought I had heard the CampingLab tents are pretty darn close to--if not the same as--the Mombasas. I'm sure Kurt and others can confirm--I don't want to look for that answer right now... :p

I understood that the Mombasa and Camping Lab tents are built in the same factory, then badged differently. They should be identical, otherwise.

Fuller

Formerly limegrnxj
So can a person just leave the tent up there for the summer or is this something that you will take off whenever your not going camping?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
So can a person just leave the tent up there for the summer or is this something that you will take off whenever your not going camping?

I leave our tent up there for most of the year, then take it down when winter really sets in, unless we have a trip planned. Ours came off within the last 2 weeks. The big RTT's are quite heavy, I'd dare say 150#'s for our massive Mombasa, so taking it down & putting it back up often is a pain.

The downside to leaving the tent up on the vehicle is that the tent cover gets a lot of sun and our cover actually started to come apart. My cover got shredded and I just ordered a replacement. That said, our tent is a handful of years old and has seen a good deal of use.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I understood that the Mombasa and Camping Lab tents are built in the same factory, then badged differently. They should be identical, otherwise.

There are about a dozen different brands all coming out of the same factory(s), some obvious re-badges of the next while others are uniquely different. However there are some notable quality differences even amongst those that look similar, fabric types and qualities used, the mattress type and quality and even the general workmanship seems to differ. It could be the quality control standards one buyer has over the other or it is possible that while looking very identical the in fact come out of sister plants? Hard to say and for obvious reasons its not something the manufactures discuss.

I leave mine up year round outside sun/snow though it will beat down on the tents cover. Ideally its either stored inside or removed when not in use. Given I've been using mine on average every other weekend its a bit impractical to be taking it on and off so having to replace the cover prematurely is a risk I'm willing to take.

This is another major aspect I didn't really touch on but aside from the design and quality differences between the tents themselves, the mounting, ladders and covers can differ starkly too. For example the current ARB cover is very stalwart, thicker material than similar offerings (and their older units) and all the seems are tape-sealed. The zippers have improved over earlier designs too. Some tents don't use zippers rather ratchet straps or bungy cords, these can be easier to stow but may allow moisture to get into the tent.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
I found this on one of the Zuk forums, thought that it was very ingenuitive. It is a Cabela's Double Cot Tent mounted to the rack. For us poor Samurai owners who a) have very small vehicles and b) are cheap this seems like a pretty slick setup.

100_0081.jpg

100_0080.jpg

100_0082.jpg

100_0083.jpg