Official Is a rooftop tent (RTT) for me?

Ford Prefect

Great thread Curt, good thoughts, well laid out, and good info...

Hey Greg, you mentioned wanting to perhaps get into a different type of vehicle, and I know you have had jeeps in the past...

Have you seen this thread over on Expo?
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26874

It started out just people starting rumors, but ultimately the guys over at Adventure Trailers decided there were enough people looking into them, so they said they are going to make some. They are basically making a flippak for a JK. The thing sets up with two queen size beds in the tent once it is opened up, and you access through the back seat if I recall. Anyhow, if you needed more space but did not want to get all the way into a truck and trailer set up... This may be an option. Not the best price in the world, but with all that goes into the design of one of these things, it seems fair enough to me. (Seems like it is going to be $4000.oo) Great photos in the thread around page 20. I was very interested in them, but now it looks as though I am not going to be getting that JK after all.

Brian

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Yup, gotta get one of these. After I went on the swell trip in november i decided the RTT was the way to go:D

I've found the best way to sell them, is to let people see them getting used. My favorite method is to get to camp, hurry and set up my tent and then wander over to the others in our group and heckle them. :p

I was with erussel & Scoutabout on a trip and they challenged my 'quick setup. From the time I shifted into part to the time I was walking away, tent up & set, sleeping bag and pillow in the tent, etc... just over 2 minutes :cool:

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
2 minutes? That's downright reasonable for a tent setup. I did mention this to you at the TeraFlex show last year (but I forgot what you said specifically), but what do you have for a full size? I like the setup on your Taco, just thinking a little bigger. I'm thinking this could be a decent/good solution for when the tow rig/trailered vehicle crowd? (Looking SERIOUSLY at toy haulers again and just don't think they'll hold up to 4500 lbs of Jeep over the long term---not sure I want to tow that either---dry weight on those beasts are impressive--my truck is impressive, but I'm not sure it's up to the task)

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
2 minutes? That's downright reasonable for a tent setup. I did mention this to you at the TeraFlex show last year (but I forgot what you said specifically), but what do you have for a full size? I like the setup on your Taco, just thinking a little bigger. I'm thinking this could be a decent/good solution for when the tow rig/trailered vehicle crowd? (Looking SERIOUSLY at toy haulers again and just don't think they'll hold up to 4500 lbs of Jeep over the long term---not sure I want to tow that either---dry weight on those beasts are impressive--my truck is impressive, but I'm not sure it's up to the task)

The same rack I use on my Tacoma (called the Front Runner Bakkie rack) could be stretched out to full-size width... or you could easily have something bent up. As far as tents ARB only does one size which is basically a 'medium', Ezi-Awn and Camping Labs are both doing bigger family sized tents. Its still tent camping, which won't ever meet the amenities of a toy hauler or regular camp trailer... but they are 100-200 lbs, easy to move and out of the way.

mbryson

Supporting Member
The same rack I use on my Tacoma (called the Front Runner Bakkie rack) could be stretched out to full-size width... or you could easily have something bent up. As far as tents ARB only does one size which is basically a 'medium', Ezi-Awn and Camping Labs are both doing bigger family sized tents. Its still tent camping, which won't ever meet the amenities of a toy hauler or regular camp trailer... but they are 100-200 lbs, easy to move and out of the way.

Just been checking out a thread on some Toyota board. For me, this could work pretty well for the Jeep trips. Usually it's just myself and my two boys (now 13 and 10---holy crap) on Jeep trips. We don't require the amenities that the ladies in the family do. :D (however, I've come to really enjoy the thermostat in the camp trailer) I've been looking at small slide-in campers and I'm just not convinced they're where I want to go either.

I'm still kicking around whether I should mount the tent on the truck bed, or on the front of the trailer where it would hang over the hood of the Jeep in the closed position. I think I'll need to think about this, but for the investment, I think this could be a decent solution.

The one thing I have a few reservations about would be solved by the "right" toyhauler, but I haven't found that one yet (I would like a lightish {8-9K lbs :rofl:} hauler that has a payload :rofl::rofl::rofl:--it doesn't exist--Work and Play type are about as close as I can get). The thing I really like about the travel trailer is that fact that it just sits out there already packed. I can bail in about 30 min. from deciding to go camping. My Dutch Ovens (cast iron ;) ), foodstuffs, games, some clothes, fishing crap, etc. all just stay stored in the camp trailer. That'd be a big plus with the toy hauler, but then I need a "streetable" Jeep (which I have for the most part) rather than a trailered rig (which is what my Jeep excels at).

I could put stuff in an Action Packer thing and just move it from the travel trailer to the pickup bed without much trouble (I do that with gear for the flatbed anyway--chains, straps, etc.).

The tent is versatile enough and quick to setup/take down. Might work pretty well. Do all the tents come with ladders and everything? It looks like the "changing room" is an add-on, but what all comes with your standard ARB tent setup?

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I guess you will need to decide Where is camp?

If your going to camp places you can pull your car-hauler behind a full-size truck, I wouldn't think of a RTT as the first choice especially for more than 2-3 people. In that case the slide-in camper makes more sense to me. To me they replace the typical ground tent for remote style camping in places you can't get a camper or trailer, ie an alternative to the common ground tent. If I were in your situation, I'd really look at the slide-in, I grew up camping in a slide-in. My dad had a couple different ones growing up and it made the perfect solution for beach camping down at Yuba with the boat in tow or family road trips alike. Many pro's and con's and as I'm not personally in a similar situation its hard for me to really put myself in your shoes.

The tent is versatile enough and quick to setup/take down. Might work pretty well. Do all the tents come with ladders and everything? It looks like the "changing room" is an add-on, but what all comes with your standard ARB tent setup?

Every brand I have seen includes a ladder, the annex changing rooms are all an addition. So really you have two options, tent, or tent and annex, pretty simple. :D

mbryson

Supporting Member
I guess you will need to decide Where is camp?

If your going to camp places you can pull your car-hauler behind a full-size truck, I wouldn't think of a RTT as the first choice especially for more than 2-3 people. In that case the slide-in camper makes more sense to me. To me they replace the typical ground tent for remote style camping in places you can't get a camper or trailer, ie an alternative to the common ground tent. If I were in your situation, I'd really look at the slide-in, I grew up camping in a slide-in. My dad had a couple different ones growing up and it made the perfect solution for beach camping down at Yuba with the boat in tow or family road trips alike. Many pro's and con's and as I'm not personally in a similar situation its hard for me to really put myself in your shoes.......

Good question about "where is camp". Camp has been at a campground in Moab, or out away from Moab or in a hotel room or condo elsewhere. With an improved campground having showers and bathroom facilities they're pretty handy for spoiled tent camping. I do have a "normal" tent that will setup on my trailer. It's not a bad setup, but taking it down everyday is not worth it at all if I need to use the trailer. The RTT could be pretty handy (although way under-utilized in the traditional sense) for quick setup/takedown-mobility with the tow rig/trailer. With "campground"s being about 1/4 to 1/3 the cost of a motel (esp. tent sites), I can see this being somewhat economical.

There are a few of hesitancies I have about a slide-in. One, weight. Two, I already have an "RV" and don't need another maint. prone vehicle. I kind of need two camping setups. One for three of us that can be a little luxury challenged and the other for the five of us that needs a kitchen sink and everything else. Three, putting it on the truck. I've never liked that much. It's not bad, but can be a bit of an issue.

The flatbed that can tow my Jeep on it (towing the travel trailer), would be the way to go, I just don't want to drive it to work everyday.

turbohaulic

I don't know it just is!
I've found the best way to sell them, is to let people see them getting used. My favorite method is to get to camp, hurry and set up my tent and then wander over to the others in our group and heckle them. :p

I was with erussel & Scoutabout on a trip and they challenged my 'quick setup. From the time I shifted into part to the time I was walking away, tent up & set, sleeping bag and pillow in the tent, etc... just over 2 minutes :cool:

Haha yup and add a little cold weather to that and ppl really want to invest:rofl:

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
My favorite method is to get to camp, hurry and set up my tent and then wander over to the others in our group and heckle them. :p

Good times! By the time all the tarps, stakes, rods and misc. are set up I'm well into the "you're wasting your time" jokes :D

Yup, gotta get one of these. After I went on the swell trip in november i decided the RTT was the way to go:D

Swell? I thought you learned in Oregon?! There was a lot of heckling on my part :greg:

16965_100393589994400_1000007127746.jpg

Kids love RTT's! :D

Last edited:

turbohaulic

I don't know it just is!
Good times! By the time all the tarps, stakes, rods and misc. are set up I'm well into the "you're wasting your time" jokes :D

Swell? I thought you learned in Oregon?! There was a lot of heckling on my part :greg:

Kids love RTT's! :D

Ya I'll never go on a trip like that again w/out one!! Fun trip thou we need to go more:)

Ford Prefect

Hello all.

I have been looking at a First Gen Mombasa and I was hoping to get some feedback here as to the value of the tent and if you all think it is a good purchase for me. Kurt reminded me that this thread was here, and mentioned that several of yall have had this tent in the past.

below is the info posted in the person's for sale add
3 year old Mombassa roof top tent.
I have used it on two trips for a total of 4 nights. It has spent most of its life stored in my store room in the shipping box it came in.

I would like to get $350 OBO and I will not ship. I might be able to work out something of you live with in 2 hours drive. ( I am on the way to Big Bend if you are coming through) Here is a review and pictures of the same tent. http://www.yankeetoys.org/mangler/ctt.htm Mine shows no wear except for two 1/2 inch rips in on the cover where the tent bracing rubbed while driving.

So, from the sounds of it, does this sound like a good buy? He is going to be in Crested Butte Co. next week, so, I would have to figure out how in the heck to get out there to meet him and buy it, but obviously this puts me on a deadline as well.

THANKS!

Brian
Oh yes, also, I understand that people generally dislike the ladder. I have been told that it is weak, and flimsy, and also will only mount straight vertically. He also told me that he believes it to be about 6' x7' when open, and that he thinks it weighs 70 lbs, which, I presume it really weighs 70kg or about 150lbs ( I noticed that mombasa has kg in their web page rather than lbs, thus my assumption of the weight corrections) Any other thoughts would be very welcome, and thanks again Kurt for allowing me to post this in here.

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I'll repeat my comments here. The 1st gen Mombasa tents are great starter units. Perfect of someone on the fence about the functionality of a RTT for their needs. You can always use it a few times and sell it, or upgrade some of the items people dislike such as the ladder. Many have upgraded the ladder to the newer Mombasa style and I'd highly recommend putting this on your short list. In my situation (1st gen Mombasa on my Trail-Trailer) the ladder wasn't that bad, it worked fine. However on full height mounts (ie on top of a rig) they are sketchy. My BIL tom had to make sure he park next to a berm or slope as the ladder wasn't long enough to hit the ground on level ground :D

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Why do I want one of these so bad? I have a camping trailer and like 20 tents(literally). I am concerned about the quality of these tents though. The rainflys look like they wouldn't be that effective. They kind of look like tent design from 10-15 years ago. I am sure they hold up. Do they have taped seams? How are they waterproofed(meaning what kind and how much)? "Normal" tents list waterproofness in mm of water that can pile up before penetration happens.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Why do I want one of these so bad? I have a camping trailer and like 20 tents(literally). I am concerned about the quality of these tents though. The rainflys look like they wouldn't be that effective. They kind of look like tent design from 10-15 years ago. I am sure they hold up. Do they have taped seams? How are they waterproofed(meaning what kind and how much)? "Normal" tents list waterproofness in mm of water that can pile up before penetration happens.

You've nailed some of the major issues some have with RTT's and more and more it comes down to the individual tent, you really get what you pay for. With the more premium tents, you get taped seams, water treated materials, rip stop materials, thicker covers, etc. My ARB Simpson III seals absolutely fine in the rain and snow, it features all of the items I mentioned above and with each revision they fix issues the previous models had.

Some tents set themselves apart as '2 season' tents, some do better as a '3 season', others are set for year round use. Again it really comes down to you get what you pay for. The entry level tents have obviously the furthest to go in this regard, but users have been tweaking and modifying them from the get go and have come up with some pretty neat solutions. Like anything else there exists tradeoffs :D

Last edited:

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I don't have a problem spending money on camping gear. It gets used enough at my house. Maybe I will sell some of my tents to pay for one of these. Pm me a price when you get a chance. I will begin my own research and will probably have some questions for you. It doesn't seem faster to me, but maybe because I haven't had you making fun of me yet:) I guess will have to go camping and see.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Good point Mesha :D

My Mombasa in post 54 is at best a two season tent. The rain fly is almost worthless, and heavy wind or a big snowstorm would probably take a major toll on it. Knowing that when I bought it I will say it works out great for the majority of camping (fair, warm sunny :D) that my family (wife and 2 year old) enjoys doing. For myself I do a lot of camping that Is not is not best suited for my wife and toddler and that is where the 3+ season ground tents come into play :greg:

As for the RTT's I absolutely love them and I plan to upgrade to the ARB Simpson III. From what I have seen these seem to be about as good as it gets at withstanding the elements. Being above ground has so many benefits that have all been mentioned above.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I am glad I didn't figure out I wanted one of these till now then. I can just buy the updated versions. I wonder how my family will fit in one of these?