Official Is a rooftop tent (RTT) for me?

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Picked up an ARB RTT from Cruiser Outfitters and I'm excited to get out in this thing. Build quality is very nice. I have it temp mounted to my bed cover for now until I have time to build a nicer rack. But I may keep it this way, I kinda like the secure storage of the cover with it setup like this.

Here's a test run of it just after mounting, I didn't put in any of the window bars or tighten down the straps for this photo:
IMG_7516.jpg

One thing I was surprised about was how heavy these things are. Takes a bit of effort to get them up and down even off a lower area like the bed of my truck!

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Picked up an ARB RTT from Cruiser Outfitters and I'm excited to get out in this thing. Build quality is very nice. I have it temp mounted to my bed cover for now until I have time to build a nicer rack. But I may keep it this way, I kinda like the secure storage of the cover with it setup like this.

Here's a test run of it just after mounting, I didn't put in any of the window bars or tighten down the straps for this photo:
View attachment 108963

One thing I was surprised about was how heavy these things are. Takes a bit of effort to get them up and down even off a lower area like the bed of my truck!

Congrats Shane, I'm sure you'll love getting out in it! Yeah, they're heavy... best to have two people when installing & removing them.

Tonkaman

Looks great! You'll love having it in some situations and quickly find its limitations in others. Having it low on the truck is ideal for many reasons. If you don't mind it there, leave it

We have enjoyed the RTT experience

We have enjoyed the time we've spent camping in our RTT's. It like go anywhere anytime kinda of feeling we don't usually look at weather patterns we just go now not caring where we park it. Plus even though we have kids they have always wanted a treehouse and in a round about way have that with each camping trip.

Attachments

• IMG_8346.JPG
    IMG_8346.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 21

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
It seems the time is right for my innovative new, rear-entry "TaRooey" tent. It "pays homage" to the widespread use of RTT's in Australia, by resembling a kangaroo pouch! It's going to be made of electrical conduit and blue-tarp, for easy repair anywhere there's a Wal-Mart and a Home Depot, which is everywhere.

It will retail for MSRP of $531.85. Watch for it!

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
So is the ARB considered "old" technology in the rtt world these days? I am eager to buy but not sure which?

ARB has continued to redesign and refine their tent technology over the years, likely 6? revisions/updates over the last 8 years.

Last edited:

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I absolutely love my ARB rtt. There are a lot of little nice things about it. Solid unit too, but then again I have nothing to compare it to.

jedi

aboogadaboogadaboogada
So I never updated on here, last summer I did buy a RTT. I was deciding between the ARB, Tepui, Smittybilt, and CVT. I waited till two weeks before a camping trip and the wife said “ just buy one so I don’t have to sleep on the ground again” which left very little time to get anything. Almost everything was on backorder at that time. I made a lot of phone calls including Cruiser Outfitters. So my choice was narrowed down to only one option, the Tepui ruggedized in blue. That a trailer company in Orem could get me the day I was leaving. More than I wanted to spend but I pulled the trigger. Fast forward to now. The wife and I both love the $#+* out of it and my only regret is not buying one years ago.