Is American Fork Canyon Open?

redrocktj

116 long
does anyone know if american fork canyon is open yet? if not when does it open, or how do i find out when it opens?

Badger

I am the Brute squad
well me and Meat went up today to take a look and see how much snow was left.there is another slide that needs to be cleaned up at the narrows(i believe) that will need to be cleaned up before its open.up by mineral itself there is still 5~6 feet of snow.the path up to Forrest Lake is still covered in plenty of snow.so its not going to be open till after Memorial day

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Badger said:
well me and Meat went up today to take a look and see how much snow was left.there is another slide that needs to be cleaned up at the narrows(i believe) that will need to be cleaned up before its open.up by mineral itself there is still 5~6 feet of snow.the path up to Forrest Lake is still covered in plenty of snow.so its not going to be open till after Memorial day

How did you get up to Mineral? snowmobile?

Meat_

Banned
cruiseroutfit said:
How did you get up to Mineral? snowmobile?

ATV's

We went to the flat almost treeless straight stretch of road just past the first mine that was reclaimed, the snow was great for driving on today.... in years past I've been stuck on that stretch WAY too many times by myself with no trees to winch to..... I turned around while the turning was good :D

The slide is in the usual place, and looks worse in the picture than it is (a lot of it is snow)

Big pine bit the dust at the tight s turn

The next narrow spot (where you drive between the big bolders) has the usual assortment of rocks, though not as bad as last year (sorry no pics of that)

Attachments

• slide af.jpg
    slide af.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 50
  • tree tight s turns.jpg
    tree tight s turns.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 45
Cool, thanks for the report! I hope the FS can quickly get to the slide problem, and get things opened up (once the snow melts of course). It took them a while to get to the problem spots last year due to the massive amount of runoff and flooding (which you guys already know).

grizzly_tom said:
hey steve
step 1: done
Step 2: done
step 3: done
Step 4: WHAT NOW ALL MIGHTY STEVE!!!!!!!

Umm, well you've done the most important stuff. If you have a rich relative looking for a tax write off, then start working on a huge donation for USA-ALL. Alternatively, you can volunteer with U4WDA. We're always looking for help on all sorts of various projects.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
scoutabout said:
Umm, well you've done the most important stuff. If you have a rich relative looking for a tax write off, then start working on a huge donation for USA-ALL. Alternatively, you can volunteer with U4WDA. We're always looking for help on all sorts of various projects.

Steve, you know who Tom is don't you... "Trail Boss Tom" (Moab ;))... I think he is yanking your chain! BTW you have to have a job to get a tax writeoff :rofl:

mr_blove

ask me if I care
how deep is the snow past tibble for now?? I have a friend that wants to go horse back riding possibally the 19th of may and I told him that it might be cool to go up to forest lake. Will it be in condition for horse back riding?

Meat_

Banned
mr_blove said:
how deep is the snow past tibble for now?? I have a friend that wants to go horse back riding possibally the 19th of may and I told him that it might be cool to go up to forest lake. Will it be in condition for horse back riding?

You should be able to make it, might have to ride from the parking lot and I doubt if you can ride the road the entire way, but there should be plenty of game trails out in the sun. (I'm guessing since it's been a couple weeks since I was up there)

mr_blove

ask me if I care
so possabily since its been 2 weeks since you've been up and it'll be about 2 more weeks till we go up it should/might be ok??

Meat_

Banned
mr_blove said:
so possabily since its been 2 weeks since you've been up and it'll be about 2 more weeks till we go up it should/might be ok??

Should be fine, but maybe I'm not the one to ask.... I tend to ride my critters in snow up to thier bellys