Is it ok to have a "make light of" thread?

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
We are all online, looking at ads for parts, for vehicles, for everything. KSL, Craigs list, etc...

I am always tempted to post a link on RME to make fun of people with wrong information, Dana 40 axles, 1997 CJ7s, gold plated piles of sh!t, etc.

Just for the laugh factor, give everyone a smirk, etc.

But I don't want to come across as big jerk... medium to small jerk would be fine.

Thoughts?

Update: Since we are doing this, a couple of thoughts, keep it PG-13, make fun of the ad, not the person, and if its your ad don't cry... :p

Last edited:

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
For example,

Somebody really wants $85k for basket case? Great parts, but really?

(for everyone not familiar with a basket case, it goes back to buying a project that is not running the parts are in a basket that you take with you. thinking motorcycle with the engine out and in a metal basket or milk crate)

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
For example,

Somebody really wants $85k for basket case? Great parts, but really?

(for everyone not familiar with a basket case, it goes back to buying a project that is not running the parts are in a basket that you take with you. thinking motorcycle with the engine out and in a metal basket or milk crate)
"This build sells for 180k plus when complete"

Ummmm what now? I could see $60k to the right buyer but that's going to be a no from me on $180k :rofl:

RockChucker

Wow. I knew genright was proud of their stuff, but didn't know they were that proud. That must make my jeep worth more than $100k following that logic. Shoot, I've seen prepped U4 rigs for $85k.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Wow. I knew genright was proud of their stuff, but didn't know they were that proud. That must make my jeep worth more than $100k following that logic. Shoot, I've seen prepped U4 rigs for $85k.
I posted one yesterday and while it's not the best looking car it's ready to race in 4400 or 4800 with both shock packages and tires. 485 horses at the wheels and it's only $50k

xjtony

Just amazed at the screenshot of a facebook ad you can't see/read clearly. For 85K I was expecting a decent pic. :D
There was a guy a while back selling a diesel scout. The rig actually looked pretty cool and $25k might have been close, but he didnt take it out of the shipping container for pics. $25 grand and you got a pic of the grill and rear bumper

Pike2350

I could maybe see $85k if it was a complete/driveable vehicle....but not as a project and no way I'd pay it.

People baffle me with this kind of thinking. I thought he had the same ad a few months ago but for less money...but not much less. I recall the "pic of his friends vehicle for example" however I recall a different pic and different paint job on the vehicle.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
I love this one too.

40 years old, doesn't shift, needs battery, ghetto cage, $4k of gold under the seat... (not mentioned in ad, but I think implied) :D

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I love this one too.

40 years old, doesn't shift, needs battery, ghetto cage, $4k of gold under the seat... (not mentioned in ad, but I think implied) :D
I hope he keeps that around. It makes Britney feel like the fancy Jeep in this town.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
I hope he keeps that around. It makes Britney feel like the fancy Jeep in this town.
Stock axles, leaf springs, and the light bar could make up the extra $4k if there isn't really gold under the seat. :D

(ok, I might be crossing the line from small jerk to medium now...)

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Stock axles, leaf springs, and the light bar could make up the extra $4k if there isn't really gold under the seat. :D

(ok, I might be crossing the line from small jerk to medium now...)
I see a ton of ads in Grantsville for vehicles "built" like that.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I've seen that stupid jeep ad too. Doesn't it say he's going on his mission so he has to sell? Who has enough money to let their teenage kid spend that on a jeep build?
I think it is a scam, or he is playing on the predominant religious folks. If he needed the money, he wouldn't be open to trades...