Is the chrysler 8.25 a good expedition axle?

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
I just purchased a 98 cherokee to use as a camping-expedition rig. Plan is 3 inch lift, 31 inch at's and a rear locker. Is this going to hold up? Does the newer 29 spline 8.25 use c clips? Are they a weak link? I have a problem with trying to over think and over build stuff.

bradm

shameless posing...
I just purchased a 98 cherokee to use as a camping-expedition rig. Plan is 3 inch lift, 31 inch at's and a rear locker. Is this going to hold up? Does the newer 29 spline 8.25 use c clips? Are they a weak link? I have a problem with trying to over think and over build stuff.

I have a '99 XJ with the 29 spline 8.25 rear, 4:56's, and an ARB. I have 33" MTRs and have ran that set up for 8 yrs without a rear axle failure. Have run everything from a Saturday morning run up the local canyon, to PSM/Spike/Gold Bar, Moab Rim, Behind the Rocks, etc. Yes, it's a c-clip axle, but if you're only running 31's it is plenty strong enough for that. It's actually a pretty decent axle (3" tubes if I remember right) and they will hold up to 35's as long as you don't flog the crap out of them. You shouldn't have any issues.

Last edited:

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I think with 31" you'll be totally fine. The later ones are 29 spline (?) and should hold up pretty respectably to 33" tires (no experience, just an assumption).

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
keep your eye out for an xj d44, i got mine for $88 from the jy. it needed a wheelbearing and that was $100 installed... no biggie. and i put all new brake parts on it but that stuff was cheap too.

i wouldn't worry too much about the 8.25, it is after all a big upgrade from the d35 but keep your eyes peeled for a 44. they are out there :ugh:

bobmed

- - - -
XJ axles

[FONT=&quot]Dana 35 non c-clip - 27 spline, 1.18" diameter shafts, 7.58" ring gear, 2.62" axle tube - used 84-89

Dana 35 c-clip - 27 spline, 1.18" diameter shafts, 7.58" ring gear, 2.62" axle tube - used 90-01

Chrysler 8.25 - 27 spline, 1.17" diameter shafts, 8.25" ring gear, 3" axle tube - used 91-96

Chrysler 8.25 - 29 spline, 1.21" diameter shafts, 8.25" ring gear, 3" axle tube - used 97-01

Dana 44 non c-clip - 30 spline, 1.31" diameter shafts, 8.5" ring gear, 2.75" axle tube - used 87-89 on some (not all) XJs equipped with towing package.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
keep your eye out for an xj d44, i got mine for $88 from the jy. it needed a wheelbearing and that was $100 installed... no biggie. and i put all new brake parts on it but that stuff was cheap too.

i wouldn't worry too much about the 8.25, it is after all a big upgrade from the d35 but keep your eyes peeled for a 44. they are out there :ugh:

My opinion is that XJ 44's are more prone to bending a housing than an 8.25... I don't think it's worth the hassle and money to do the swap unless you are gonna do a 9" or a 60 or something big.

GOAT

Back from the beyond

An 8.25 should be just fine for driving around pointlessly, in the middle of nowhere.

:greg:

Last edited by a moderator: