I've heard there were big spiders...

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
In T-Rock's defense, it is ingrained into our DNA to have fear of spiders. Even if you don't cower from a spider when you see it, I bet you do have a different level of "respect" for it then you would an ant.

As gross as they are, they say that spiders eat so many insects that if not for them, life on earth would cease do to insects eating all vegetation.

MikeGyver

UtahWeld.com
Tarantulas are kinda cool, they aren't 'true' spiders. They're more animal-ish and less bug-ish.
True spiders are nasty, freaky little bastards though.

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
I personally like spiders for the before mentioned reason but do not like ants. Have you ever been bitten by a red ant? If you had you would know why I do not like them. Especially when they come in droves. Try laying on your back to fix your 4x4 on top of an ant hill and you will not do it again.

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
Florida is plagued with "fire ants". You almost can't walk in public parks or set up a ground tent due to them dominating the landscape. Very aggressive effers. Hiking in FL is also made unpleasant by the banana spider's penchant for building face-level webs in the trees. Imagine going along at dusk and getting a face full of this:

BananaSpider1.jpg

sixstringsteve

Tarantulas are kinda cool, they aren't 'true' spiders. They're more animal-ish and less bug-ish.
True spiders are nasty, freaky little bastards though.

x2

interesting facts about terantulas that I gathered on the interwebz (therefore it must be accurate, right?)

Tarantulas are sluggish, will not bite unless provoked, and are not poisonous. However, the bites of tarantulas can be quite painful since the fangs are large and can pierce the skin of the victim.

Many tarantulas have a dense covering of stinging hairs on the abdomen to protect them from enemies. These hairs can cause skin irritation for humans. Most tarantulas that are desirable as pets have a bald spot on the abdomen and do not have stinging hairs.

Tarantulas usually live in burrows in the ground. These burrows may be dug by the spider or abandoned by rodents. The tunnels are lined with silk and form a webbed rim at the entrance that conceals it. The females deposit 500 to 1000 eggs in a silken egg sac and guard it for 6 to 7 weeks. The young spiders remain in the burrow for some time after hatching and then disperse by crawling in all directions. Tarantulas do not occur in colonies because they do eat each other.

Tarantulas may live for many years. Most species require 10 years to mature to adults. Females kept in captivity have been known to live more than 25 years and have survived on water alone for 2 1/2 years. Females continue to molt after reaching maturity and, therefore, are able to regenerate lost legs. Males live for only one year or less after maturity.

A tarantula can be kept as a house pet. A terrarium (an empty aquarium) with a sandy bottom provides an ideal habitat. Tarantulas can be fed live crickets or other insects

Last edited:

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I'm not actually bothered by tarantulas that much, they're like big furry ants or something, much less darty and malicious.

Josephine, we didn't have any banana spiders in NY, but we DID have way too many Orb Weavers-- they would knit webs across cornstalks or weeds, or trees, and have a sticky zig zag that's just about the same size as a kid's face. They are probably the number one reason I hate spiders so much. You'd run through the bushes and BAM!!! giant spider and sticky web all over you. Nuclear freakout.

Florida is plagued with "fire ants". You almost can't walk in public parks or set up a ground tent due to them dominating the landscape. Very aggressive effers. Hiking in FL is also made unpleasant by the banana spider's penchant for building face-level webs in the trees. Imagine going along at dusk and getting a face full of this:

BananaSpider1.jpg

krany

kranberry
x2

Tarantulas usually live in burrows in the ground. These burrows may be dug by the spider or abandoned by rodents. The tunnels are lined with silk and form a webbed rim at the entrance that conceals it. The females deposit 500 to 1000 eggs in a silken egg sac and guard it for 6 to 7 weeks. The young spiders remain in the burrow for some time after hatching and then disperse by crawling in all directions. Tarantulas do not occur in colonies because they do eat each other.

there is a hole in front of my house i think might be one of those.....i am gonna go with the tacoma option of burn it and fire multiple rounds into it.......i hate spiders big or small.

how about a camel spider?
Thebiggestinsectworld_6_funnypagenet.com_.jpg

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
How about you stop talking about camel spiders?

They are as awful as you think. That picture is two of them though, held close to the camera-- not that they aren't medium-sized ones anyhow.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
That'll work out well. Tell the MPs and the SWAT teams that you were just shooting the camel spiders, I'm sure they'll understand. :D

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
oh, dont' be silly. Optics are wonderful things. I'll just be over here, doing stuff. And not getting camel spiders anywhere near me ever again. :D