I've screwed up & need help.

O'neal

?????????
My problem happened when I was rethreading my distributor hold down bolt thread's,and what do ya know the damn thing broke inside,tried drilling to use an easy out but the bit's keep dulling,they dont even scratch the fawken thing! I dont know what to try,I'm thinkin on tack'in a bolt to it and see if I can get it out that way,and if that dont work i'm kickin the truck right in the grill:mad:Fawk me runnin,if it ain't one thing it's another!

Oh and give me some trick's & tip's if ya got them....thank's.

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
there aren't any threads eh? DONT weld it's an aluminum block. Get a 5$ carbide drill bit and go to town. Either that or go to a machine shop thats local and pay them 50$ish. good luck

O'neal

?????????
Ah....carbide,why didn't I think of getting one,musta been to pissed:rolleyes:
Why cant I tack a bolt to the threader that's in my aluminum head?I wont be welding steel to alum,just steel to steel.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I think you could extract it using a Welder.

I have had to do it with countless broken bolts. Just put a Nut (About the size of the broken Thread) over the broken area. You're not welding on the Block, and more than likely, you only need a seconds worth of weld. It won't harm a thing! And it will be the quickest and cleanest way to pull it out.

Forget Drilling!

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
well heat would be a way to loosen the bolt. It probably isn't in tight. I'd tack the rod to the bolt and twist the rod. All you need is enough for a good set of vicegrips. The problem I see is the heat on an aluminum head may cause you grief. Would there be a danger of melting the aluminum head by welding on a bolt? Are you running arc or mig?
I still say a drill and easy out. both new. low risk high PITA. But it's not a new head..... Let us know how it all turns out

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I got a sawzall you can borrow...:D

Really though... I prefer using a nut welded to the broken peive like Greg suggested. If you fast enough, the Aluminum will barely heat up...Good Luck:D

O'neal

?????????
Originally posted by Greg
Did'ja get it?

Hell no,the outside of the hole is pretty hammerd now from the drill bit slippin,could be fixed,by really gettin it,some weldin and retap it.It's in there good,and nothin worked,drillin,tack weldin,etc,and i'm kickin myself in the ass...So i'm gonna say fawk it,and fab something up to hold it in time for a bit,I know it's gonna be half assed but it'll do.Now this engine was rebuilt 16k ago the hole looked bad to begin with,and well......

I guess that 20r head is going on now.that lead's me to my question about putting 22r valve's in a 20r head,can I run oversized 22r valve's,or is the stock 22r valve's as far as I can go,and i've read somewhere that they are longer and need to be adressed,what's this about?

thank's....