J.O.A.T. Sierra

LT.

J.O.A.T or as I call her Sierra. She is a 1975 GMC, 3/4 ton, 4x4, Sierra Classic. The Sierra Classic was the top of the line truck back in 1975. She came from the factory with a head liner, all the trim pieces, carpeted floor, hood liner, automatic transmission, NP 203 case, 16.5" wheels, a goofy size tire (that works out to be almost exactly a 31" tire), air conditioning, and a rare wooden bed floor. That's right, a long bed, fleet side truck with a wooden bed floor.

I bought the truck back in july of 2013 and had to drag her home due to a blown tranny and an engine that didn't run as well as it should. There she sat in front of my house for about half a year. Then, about the beginning of this year I rebuilt the transmission, put a part time kit in the transfer case, part time hubs in the front axle, and a true dual exhaust. The exhaust is a dual 2 1/4" pipes with Dynomax welded ultra flo mufflers. It sounds okay without being overly loud. My daughter then picked out the floor mats and a steering wheel cover. Pink camouflage now adorns the interior of the truck.

Then came a slight tune up on the engine and she is now running as well as she can with the miles and the use she has had.

I then replaced all the cab mounts with some new polyurethane mounts and a small 1" body lift all from Off Road Design.

J.O.A.T. is now my daily driver and other than needing a bunch of TLC she is doing quite well.

I need to replace the springs, spring bushings, shocks, wheels,tires, and rear bumper soon. Not sure how high to lift her or what size tires and wheels to put on her. Hell, I don't even know what make and model of tires to put under her. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

LT.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
So... what does JOAT stand for? Jaculiferous Obedible Anthropomorphic Tricloptercycle? If so, I really, really want to see pics.:)

STAG

On my grind
0927141710_zpsd49sy9qt.jpg

0927141711a_zpsrke0bbjl.jpg

1005141125_zps00cpoml2.jpg

1019141155_zpss5cj8gwa.jpg

1019141155a_zpssk85avx5.jpg

1019141156a_zps5tlfblzi.jpg

Last edited:

LT.

J.O.A.T. jack of all trades. Sierra has to be able to take me to work, mountains, highway, light off road, handle hauling and towing duties. Just an all around good pickup truck.

LT.

LT.

She's a peach for sure. Looks like it's doing everything you need.

Kind of. Just pulling that little trailer empty I slow down to about 45 mph on any kind of a hill. She also only gets about 11 mpg at best. I also noticed that the front shackles are touching the frame because the front springs are shot. I am having a hard time deciding on how much of a lift I should put on her. I am torn between a 2" lift and 33" tires, 4" lift and 35" tires, and a 6" lift and 37" tires. The 2" lift I view as a why bother lift. 35" tires come on some vehicles from the factory. The 6" lift is going to give me that bold look but, it will make working out of the truck tougher. Besides, I already have a few toy trucks around here.

I am also torn on the wheel size. I have been looking at the 16x10 mickey thompson classic 3 or the black rock 17x9 d window wheels maybe repainted white. I already have a set on my Christine.

The engine is in good shape. Compression is within 6% between all cylinders and the compression is still above the 118 mark. But, by todays standards it just seems gutless. I am thinking of rebuilding and making a little 383 currently.

I am having a hard time remembering this is a commuter and work truck and not a play truck. But, I figure a 4" lift is well within a reasonable limit.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

LT.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
Kind of. Just pulling that little trailer empty I slow down to about 45 mph on any kind of a hill. She also only gets about 11 mpg at best. I also noticed that the front shackles are touching the frame because the front springs are shot. I am having a hard time deciding on how much of a lift I should put on her. I am torn between a 2" lift and 33" tires, 4" lift and 35" tires, and a 6" lift and 37" tires. The 2" lift I view as a why bother lift. 35" tires come on some vehicles from the factory. The 6" lift is going to give me that bold look but, it will make working out of the truck tougher. Besides, I already have a few toy trucks around here.

I am also torn on the wheel size. I have been looking at the 16x10 mickey thompson classic 3 or the black rock 17x9 d window wheels maybe repainted white. I already have a set on my Christine.

The engine is in good shape. Compression is within 6% between all cylinders and the compression is still above the 118 mark. But, by todays standards it just seems gutless. I am thinking of rebuilding and making a little 383 currently.

I am having a hard time remembering this is a commuter and work truck and not a play truck. But, I figure a 4" lift is well within a reasonable limit.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

LT.

I would leave it stock, I love seeing old stock trucks still being used as DDs and work trucks.

LT.

I would leave it stock, I love seeing old stock trucks still being used as DDs and work trucks.

Not a bad idea except, the front springs are so bad that the front shackle is against the frame rails at a rest. I have to replace them and lift springs are cheaper than OEM or OER. Maybe just a 2" spring then?

I did run into my old ford high boy today. I always thought those trucks had a great stance. Perhaps I will replicate the dimensions on this GMC.

LT.

Bart

Personally, I'm a fan of keeping of keeping it lower unless you are building it for a specific purpose. My current daily driver has a 6" lift and basically 35s, and I really wish it were lower. I bought it that way and will eventually sell it because of the lift.

Kevin B.

Big hippy
x3, lower is more gooder for a truck that has to do everything. If OEM springs are spendy, find some used springs of the same width and start stuffing them in there. Other than that, leave it be. Although I'd definitely paint it, though... no vehicle should have to go through life suffering the indignity of being orange.

LT.

Personally, I'm a fan of keeping of keeping it lower unless you are building it for a specific purpose. My current daily driver has a 6" lift and basically 35s, and I really wish it were lower. I bought it that way and will eventually sell it because of the lift.

x3, lower is more gooder for a truck that has to do everything. If OEM springs are spendy, find some used springs of the same width and start stuffing them in there. Other than that, leave it be. Although I'd definitely paint it, though... no vehicle should have to go through life suffering the indignity of being orange.

Really? The orange was kinda growing on me. Especially with the blue seat.

I am still unsure of what to do with her. I know what she needs to do I just don't know what I want. I sure did love the height of my old high boy. Maybe what I should look at is some cut out fender flares. That would cut out some of the rust and cover the rest.

LT.

Bart

Personally, I like the orange. I do like the looks of the old high boy Fords but again, I'm getting lazy in my old age and hate the step up.

LT.

Personally, I like the orange. I do like the looks of the old high boy Fords but again, I'm getting lazy in my old age and hate the step up.

Years ago I had a 1975 GMC high sierra that I had 255 85r16 tires. Those tires looked narrow on the truck but, the truck did preform well. Maybe I should look into another set of tires in that size.

I am also looking into a 2.5" lift springs from Superlift. That would be really close to what I am looking for.

LT.