Jacob Hamblin Arch

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
I am heading down to hike Hamblin Arch next week and want to know if I can take my car or if I need to take my Nitro. We are going to hike down the wash that come in above the arch and then down the canyon. The cost to take my little Spark VS the Nitro is a lot of money so I want to take the car, I just don't know how the Hole in the Rock Road is to drive in something small.

Anyone ever drive this road?

Hardcastle

You can take a car. Like any road down south rain can make an easy road pretty bad especially going through the washes. I watched some cars struggle in the sand but they didn't appear to be very smart drivers. Other than that it's just a washboard road.

Coyote Gulch into jacob hamblin arch is an awesome hike. Depending on how comfortable you are with steep scrambles you might want to bring along a hand line.

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
We are going to enter the wash north of the arch because my daughter is scared of heights. It will basically add a day to the trip but that's fine, we plan on being in there for several days.

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
Went shopping tonight for my trip next week.. I still have not set up the new tent, haven't tried either new stove, haven't prepared at all.... My life is a wreck... a little worried... Wish me luck.

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
Great trip, hiked in hurricane wash on Wednesday and camped at the confluence of the wash and red well. Thursday hiked through the canyon to where you would come in from hiking down the crack in the wall, ran into some people from Springville who killed a rattle snake on the trail coming in. Friday we hiked back through the canyon and started up hurricane wash to where the spring starts. Saturday woke up early and walked out before it got hot. If I were to do it again, and I'm sure I will.. I would go in through red well and spend 2 more days so I could drop into Escalante canyon.
We had originally planed on one more day but my family decided they were done early. It was a sweet hike, the water is really sandy and clogged up one of my filters to where I gave up on it and used a different one. Hiking in the canyon went pretty easy, I packed heavy due to trying to take weight off my wife and 14 year old daughter, and we had a couple issues like my sons shoulder strap breaking 2 hours in and my daughters new shoe breaking an eyelet. All and all a successful trip, I'll post pics when I get to a computer. It was mid 70s during day and 35 ish at night, sand everywhere.