Northern Utah January RME Trail Run - Black Rock Canyon, New Years Day Snow Run

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
January 1st, 2018! Let's do a New Years Day snow bashing run out to Black Rock Canyon.

• Meeting location & time- 8 AM at the Walmart at Saratoga Springs (Intersection of Redwood Rd and Crossroads Blvd) - https://www.google.com/maps/place/40°23'16.0"N+111°55'09.5"W/@40.387764,-111.9203933,18z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m6!3m5!1s0x0:0x0!7e2!8m2!3d40.3877644!4d-111.919299
  • Planned time- Plan on this trip to taking most of the day, I would hope that we'll be off the trail and heading back home around 3-4 PM. It's about an hour drive.
  • Trail info- It's a pretty easy 2 track road when dry, the trail wanders up a canyon gaining elevation. It tops out at 7,000 feet high, so for snow wheelin it's great because we can work our way from low elevation and small snow levels into the deeper stuff higher up.
  • Vehicle capability and equipment- Stock 4x4's will be OK, but bigger tires and lockers will help when the snow gets deeper. Bring all your recovery gear, shovels, winter boots & clothes, etc, etc. Airing down tires will be very wise, so be able to air back up! Come prepared!!
  • Group size- There should be plenty of room for a good sized group, up to 20 or so.

I've been all over out there, but it's been awhile. Would love to have someone that's familiar with the turnoff make sure I don't miss it. It's been awhile since I've been out there. :D

Who wants to go?

Last edited:

DaveN

I'm in! We tried it last year and were defeated near the top. We will make it this year!!

Greg

Admin
I'm in! We tried it last year and were defeated near the top. We will make it this year!!

Always good to get back for another attempt!

Especially since there's no snow lol

We've got another month, I'm sure we'll have plenty of snow by Jan 1st!

I'm in. It will be the XJ's first trip, but between now and then I'll do everything I can to improve its capabilities.

I don't know.... you better start a build thread so we know what you're working with! ;)

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
We did this as an RME run a few years ago, and it was a blast. I slid off the road into a ditch and had to winch back out.
I am going to plan to come.

BlueWolfFab

Running Behind
I'd imagine the Chevron is going to be pretty busy that morning with all of us there ha cuz I know there are a group or two that run 5mile every New Years too.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Is this an in and out run with someplace to leave a tow rig? Sounds like fun.

It definitely is. You can leave the tow rigs at either side of the 5 mile pass turn off. Then you take the old railroad bed south several miles to the canyon.

RogueJeepr

Here!
We did get to the sign. The trail goes off camber/steep after that. With the big snow drifts I saw, ain't nobody making it over without sliding off the trail or worse.

Greg ya beat me to it. I was thinking February would be a better time but im always down for a snow run.
That weekend may be tough. Hopefully I can make it.

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk

Greg

Admin
If I don’t make my annual NV New Years trip I will be in. In the heep

Haven’t made the decision yet

I want to see your new JKU on the trail one of these days, Cheston!

I'd imagine the Chevron is going to be pretty busy that morning with all of us there ha cuz I know there are a group or two that run 5mile every New Years too.

Which is why we're meeting at the Walmart next door! ;) Plenty of room, but those that need to top off their tanks before the trip can.

Is this an in and out run with someplace to leave a tow rig? Sounds like fun.

Sounds like Jeremy knows! I would imagine there is somewhere near the road that we could unload, but I don't know the turnoff area very well.

... That weekend may be tough. Hopefully I can make it.

It would be good to see you out there, Wayne.