South-West Utah Jared Memorial run October 15-16th.

kmboren

Recovering XJ owner anonymous
So we are meeting at the water tanks @10 both days. We can decide what to run there. For the Saturday dinner/BBQ please RSVP so we make sure we have enough meat. Please bring a side or dessert also. Thanks and can't wait.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Shouldn't there be pics or videos or something to prove this event actually happened? :D

I need a virtual wheeling experience fix... just saying...

smfulle

Shouldn't there be pics or videos or something to prove this event actually happened? :D

I need a virtual wheeling experience fix... just saying...

pkrfctr

Menlos choice with Menlo watching = good times.

Subarudude54

I was there both days, but have no pictures cause I was by myself. Maybe my verbal description may satisfy a bit.

On Friday we ran West rim trail. Kevin in his YJ on 33s was leading with Grandpa's jeep following, I think 9 rigs total. Going up the narrow area with the lavascape came upon a H2 that seemed to have broken down, they had already called for help I think. At the toll booth, several took the first path which is more challenging and a couple of rigs did the most difficult line going straight up at the end of it. Next on the approach to Menlo's Choice (This obstacle's namesake, Menlo who is age 93 was in the group with us in his son's JKU. He explained that it was named after him because it's the oldest known obstacle in Sand Hollow and he's the oldest wheeler.) Anyway on the mild decent you then climb up a small ledge maybe 200 yards before Menlo's, there's three options left or right which are both mild grades or straight up the steep wall. Kevin and Grandpa's Jeep went right, I took the wall up. Then followed on to Menlo's, the wall seemed to slow the rest of the group, as it was quite a while before everyone else arrived at Menlo's. I was first up Menlo's, didn't give me any trouble as I stayed right of the hole. Then Grandpa's Jeep went up it, getting a run at it. There was a crowd of onlookers there in UTV's and some other rigs including a couple of Early Broncos. Kevin made several attempts but kept hitting the hole and never did get the YJ up. It has no lockers. I attempted the alternate line to the right, and got up it on my second try. Someone in a UTV got video of that, but with my tech stupidity, was not able to get a copy of it. Many others including Menlo were able to climb it. One of the early Broncos which had 40ish tires then attempted Menlo's and broke his rear driveshaft. I then felt bad because I had encouraged him to make the attempt. Had lunch in the lunchroom. On the way out we visited the Wall of Doom. Two rigs attempted it, one went up. Everyone else went up the by pass which isn't necessarily easy. A group of TJ's YJ's JK's which had one JKU in the group all were winched up it after the one JKU went up it first. After all this excitement a buggy broke a rear trailing arm and we saw an excellent demonstration of the use of a Carnage Welder.

Saturday was Double Sammy, 13 rigs I think, one being a monster JKU with 6 doors. I have an affinity for XJ's and ZJ's, so I noted that we had 3 XJs in the group. On entry to the trail there's a steep ledge we climb then a hard right turn. Optional is not to make the right turn and go straight which the 6 door and a few buggies did. I was surprised when one of the XJs did the same line. I didn't attempt it because I thought no way. But after seeing the XJ do it, maybe I could have. Kevin took a wrong turn and as I was following Menlo, when we go back in line I was at the back of the group. Then we proceeded down the small canyon. My first time and last time I was on this trail, the challenging optional line to the right intimidated me and I took the easier left line. After watching several ahead of me struggle but successfully get up the right side. With an excellent spotter, I went up it without any struggle, surprised me. A little later Menlo slashed his right front tire, so I assisted with putting on his spare. The last obstacle before The Chute is another obstacle that intimidated me last time. But this time being last and no one spotting, shocked myself and went right up it with no struggle. After lunch the six door went up the Chute backwards. Grandpa's Jeep made numerous attempts, but it was not the day for him. Was a fabulously fun two days.

kmboren

Recovering XJ owner anonymous
Excellent recap Evan. It was a great time and great company. We meet new friends and had good times with old.
I was happy I was able to do double sammy a 7 rated trail in my YJ with 33 and no lockers. Big accomplishment for me. When the day was said and done we saw a camaro stuck in the sand off the road. Looks like he was trying to go to the beach. So the good Samaritan we are Tim pulled him back to safety.
After that we came back to my house and had a wonderful BBQ and celebrated Tims birthday. Had delicious hamburger/hotdogs and for Tim a filet minion.20211016_151653.jpg20211016_142757.jpg20211016_142540.jpg20211016_141625.jpg20211016_115338.jpg20211016_115028.jpg20211016_113135.jpg

Last edited: