Jeep Jeep CJ steering box coupler options

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I need to build a new steering shaft, or intermediate steering shaft. This is the part that connects from the steering column to the steering box input. I don't want to use the original style shaft, I want to convert it to a Borgeson type shaft with U-joints on each end. Habae any of you done this? Can you tell me which spline count my 1983 CJ5 steering box input has? I'm finding a butt-load of conflicting info on this subject. If I can just source the correct lower coupler, I can build the rest after that.

Edit: I'm not opposed to building an entire new steering column, as this is a buggy-ish Jeep for offroad only.

RockChucker

Is that steering gear a Saginaw unit? I built my steering shaft from the box to the steering column using Sweet Mfg u joints. Cheaper than Woodward steering.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Is that steering gear a Saginaw unit? I built my steering shaft from the box to the steering column using Sweet Mfg u joints. Cheaper than Woodward steering.
Yes, stock 1983 CJ power steering saginaw box. There are a ton of steering joints available, I just need to know which input spline count.

RockChucker

In my experience Saginaw couplers come in 2 flavors. One is 3/4"x30 and the other is 13/16"x36. Likely the input has a flat spot on it, which makes counting the splines a pain. but still seems like it is possible just past the flat right by the seal at the box. See if you can count them. Measure the diameter with a set of calipers. 3/4" is not actually 3/4". It is smaller. I'll try and remember to measure one tonight. I have a 3/4"x30 and a 13/16"x36 spline count u joints that you can test fit on your box to verify which it is.

Edit: fixed spline counts that i erroneously typed. corrected to real info.

Last edited:

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
In my experience Saginaw couplers come in 2 flavors. One is 3/4"x36 and the other is 13/16"x spline count I cant remember. Likely the input has a flat spot on it, which makes counting the splines a pain. but still seems like it is possible just past the flat right by the seal at the box. See if you can count them. Measure the diameter with a set of calipers. 3/4" is not actually 3/4". It is smaller. I'll try and remember to measure one tonight. I have a 3/4"x36 and a 13/16"x spline count u joint that you can test fit on your box to verify which it is.
The common joint sizes I seeing are 3/4"x30 spline and 13/16" X 36 spline. I won't be home till Friday night to measure anything. Maybe I'll just order one of each, and use the other one upstream or send it back.

RockChucker

The common joint sizes I seeing are 3/4"x30 spline and 13/16" X 36 spline. I won't be home till Friday night to measure anything. Maybe I'll just order one of each, and use the other one upstream or send it back.
yes. you're right. my memory failed me again. lol. 3/4x36 was what my steering quickener was.