Jeep Commander 5.7 thoughts. 6.0 Tahoe or yukon or 8.1 suburban?

kmboren

Recovering XJ owner anonymous
I am selling my 2500 duramax so in the future I can get another camper with a dually truck. In the mean time looking at alternatives to still tow my jeep and maybe replace the mini van of my wife which is slowly dying. Also thought about a 6.0 tahoe or even a 8.1 suburban. Pretty sure the wife won't drive the suburban. I think I can talk her into the Commander or Tahoe. Problem with Tahoe is they are usually AWD in the 6.0 models. Not looking to spend more than 8 or 9k.km

Last edited:

Toad

I have a 2003 Sequoia. They are very nice rigs. I don't tow with mine. My buddie tows his TJ his. His is a 2005. 2005 models get the 5 speed trans and VVT. He says his does surprising well towing the TJ. He has a 16 foot trailer that he tows it on. Try to keep it as light as possible.

In order to steep into the 5.7 Sequoia you have to get 2008 or newer. Price doubles.

kmboren

Recovering XJ owner anonymous
I was looking at that. The 2008 5.7s are more than I was looking to spend at this time. My XJ is a big girl so on a trailer I don't think I'd be happy with the 4.7.

DAA

I have an '02 LX470 with the 4.7, my wife drives an '04 Yukon with the 6.0. I can't remember the actual numbers, but her Yukon is rated to tow WAY more than my Cruiser is. Again, I don't remember the real numbers but it's something like twice as much (5,000 vs 10,000 something like that). The pig heavy LX has trouble getting out of it's own way empty. Even the factory hitch on the LX is a pitiful weak little thing. Have towed our travel trailer with the wifes GMC, no problem. It's AWD though. She loves that, so no problems for us. Haven't had any problems with the Yukon either, owned it since new, not one problem. Have had a few small but ridiculously expensive repairs needed on the Toyota. GMC is way nicer to drive. Way faster too. Way nicer interior and nicer ride. Both get the same lousy MPG. Would have a hard time selling the GMC, just because it's an old Yukon. Could sell the Toyota in a second, for way more than I think it's worth. People are funny that way.

- DAA

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Will she be hauling kids around? If so, I'll highly recommend putting a nissan armada on your list. As much as I love chevy, the Tahoe is really a waste. So big but there is no room in it. Kids always kicking your seat and there's nowhere to put groceries. The Armada is huge on the inside. Tons of room between the first and second row. The middle seats recline adding more room. We tow our big boat with it without any problems. I do wish the brakes were stronger though. We are on our second Armada after test driving tahoes each time. Worth a look anyways.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
My buddy had an Armada. The transmission blew up, the transmission cost more to replace than the Armada was worth. Sucked, because he still owed $7K on it. He ended up scraping it and rolling the loan over to a newer car.

rholbrook

I had Expeditions. The reason was, the third row was the biggest. The seats folded into the floor instead of up against row two. Plus, the leg room in the 3rd row for adults.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I had Expeditions. The reason was, the third row was the biggest. The seats folded into the floor instead of up against row two. Plus, the leg room in the 3rd row for adults.

We really liked our 2001 Navigator (surprisingly) and miss it WAY more than we thought we would. They were about 20-40% cheaper than an equivalent Expedition when we bought. Less miles and better taken care of also.