General Tech Jeep/Dodge's ZF 8HP 8 speed automatic transmission

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
What was the first year they put them in the Ram 1500 with Hemi? I have been thinking about going back to a truck with a camper for towing the boat.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
My '13 has one. I think that was the first year.

- DAA

Confirmed. My '12 doesn't have it but my bro's '13 does. I think it's weird to drive and felt like it was always shifting (compared to my 6 speed)

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
Confirmed. My '12 doesn't have it but my bro's '13 does. I think it's weird to drive and felt like it was always shifting (compared to my 6 speed)

Which years had the 6-speed? I was looking at some on ksl earlier and saw a sweet 07 or 08 Sport but pretty sure it had the 5-speed.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Which years had the 6-speed? I was looking at some on ksl earlier and saw a sweet 07 or 08 Sport but pretty sure it had the 5-speed.

I think ‘12 might be the only year for the 66RFE in the 1500’s but you’d have to research as I may be talking crazy. I don’t remember.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
So who is going to be the first on RME to swap one of these into a JK? I've put almost 3,000 miles on my 8HP equipped Gladiator and think this transmission is amazing, it makes excellent use of the torque and HP. As discussed, the gearing range from 1st to 8th is huge and after a few trips in 4 Low, I can confirm that 1st gear in 4 low is MUCH lower than my previous '12 JKU was.

So it will bolt up to the Pentstar and the t-case, wonder what's involved far as integrating the wiring into a JK? Anyone else looking into this swap?

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
If this is the same transmission that is behind the 5.7 Hemi in my wife's Duranago R/T then I would say it is equally great behind a larger motor. It would be cool to see someone do that swap. Relatively speaking it shouldn't be that hard if you cam get the computer aspect sorted out.

Pile of parts

I'm not really up to speed on Jeep and Dodge (gas) engine/transmissions. However, my company truck is a 1500 with the 3.6 and 8 speed auto. I think it's an '18. Is this essentially the same combo you're talking about for a JK swap? I'm surprised at how well it runs in the truck. Which is a 4 door - the smaller version rear doors - shortbed, 4x4. I've even towed with it once or twice. It revs high but did the job. I'd certainly credit the transmission with it's ratios and 8 gears.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I'm guessing it is computer controlled. Does someone make a standalone controller for it or an adapter for other motors?
It's already basically a stand alone as the ECM does not run it, like GM does with their automatics. I just ordered a transmission tune from GDE that is supposed to make the ZF work even better. Can't wait to install it next week.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Keep in mind that this tranny fluid is rated for the life of the transmission/vehicle. There is no service interval. If one is inclined to change the fluid ( I will at 100k) there are aftermarket pans and filters. There are also a few different oils that meet the specs that are much cheaper. Still spendy. Save yourself some money and do it yourself. It's not hard minus the very specific procedure.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Keep in mind that this tranny fluid is rated for the life of the transmission/vehicle. There is no service interval. If one is inclined to change the fluid ( I will at 100k) there are aftermarket pans and filters. There are also a few different oils that meet the specs that are much cheaper. Still spendy. Save yourself some money and do it yourself. It's not hard minus the very specific procedure.
Yup, it's built as a lifetime fill trans.

RockChucker

I don't believe in "lifetime" transmission fluid. We bought my wife an 08 Lexus IS250 that has a "lifetime" fill. We bought it about 95k miles and at about 105k the trans started shuddering (slipping) under light acceleration through the end of first gear into second. I looked up the procedure to even check the level (stupid that there is no dipstick) and decided I didn't want to deal with getting the trans into the exact right temp range and try and do it without a lift. Dropped it off at my favorite shop and the level was a little low. But rather than top it off I had him flush it. The nice pink ATF was the color of black diesel oil and smelled nice and burned. I need to go back and have him power flush it, but need to be ready to accept the fact that it might be the cause of a trans rebuild going into it....so I haven't done it yet.