Jeep guys: boatsides or tubes for your rocksliders?

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Talking about mine?
Yup, yours. 😁

As for boatsides and skill level, Motobilt's bolt on after you cut, and I'm a devil with a deathwheel. I also like that they're sandwiched between the body and the body mounts, instead of being welded and putting weird tension on the body panels. I see a lot.of builds that weld tube between body and frame and totally ignore that the body still moves on the mounts.

Last edited:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Yup, yours. 😁

As for boatsodes and skill level, Motobilt's bolt on after you cut, and I'm a devil with a deathwheel. I also like that they're sandwiched between the body and the body mounts, instead of being welded and putting weird tension on the body panels. I see a lot.of builds that weld tube between body and frame and totally ignore that the body still moves on the mounts.

I need to figure out a good DIY way to build some for my TJ that take that all into account (tieing the rocker and body mounts), stabilize and secure the cut rocker and add a step as well.

I have an idea in my mind, but cutting will be quite a commitment.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I need to figure out a good DIY way to build some for my TJ that take that all into account (tieing the rocker and body mounts), stabilize and secure the cut rocker and add a step as well.

I have an idea in my mind, but cutting will be quite a commitment.
I am waaaay too lazy for all that, plus, no garage. 🤣
But I wanna see what YOU do

1969honda

Supporting Member
I'm curious to see your ideas as well @Greg. I was gifted almost all of the 3 link brackets for my K5 front end today and boat sides are definitely on the list of build requirements. Just need to get a few things off the chores list first: Gen 4 6.2L engine rebuilt for a Denali XL and sell it, X-Carve table finished, KX85 tires, suspension and chain/sprockets installed for the kids...... yeah it's gonna be a minute before the garage is available, I'll let you get on it and pay attention to your ideas and work :D

Greg

Admin
I am waaaay too lazy for all that, plus, no garage. 🤣
But I wanna see what YOU do

I just measured my tub from front to back and it's 65" past the rear corner... which is the exact same length as Dave's extended boat sides... 🤔

Their boatsides are built to cover from the front edge of the fender, which I don't really have. I'm not sure how they'd line up with my body, but I'm thinking I'll make them work. If seems like a better option than building my own.

20211226_115828.jpg

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
I just measured my tub from front to back and it's 65" past the rear corner... which is the exact same length as Dave's extended boat sides... 🤔

Theirs are built to cover from the front edge of the fender, which I don't really have. I'm not sure how they'd line up with my body, but I'm thinking I'll make them work. If seems like a better option than building my own.

Definitely a time saver

_Auzzy_

Current Rig: 12W Boots
Yup, yours. 😁

As for boatsides and skill level, Motobilt's bolt on after you cut, and I'm a devil with a deathwheel. I also like that they're sandwiched between the body and the body mounts, instead of being welded and putting weird tension on the body panels. I see a lot.of builds that weld tube between body and frame and totally ignore that the body still moves on the mounts.
Sadly nope, I just cut all the way to right below the door, welded in a piece of 1.75x.125 and use the same thing for stringers down to the frame and welded 1/4" plate to the outside. Also tied my seat mounts and roll cage into it

Greg

Admin
So.... how does one tie the roll cage A-pillar mount into the frame with boatsides?

Honestly curious, I'm guessing since the boatside ties into to the body mount, is bolting the cage floor plate to the boatside enough to hold up in a roll? Or does there need to be additional support?

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
If we're thinking about it the same, I don't think it'd be too bad to add a plate in there under the boatside mount, or just use the boatside AS the plate. I was thinking about that myself.

kmboren

Recovering XJ owner anonymous
Are these installed yet? Do they go from wheel well to wheel well? My stretch is nearly done. Just at friends house now getting all big welded up (I don't own a 220 welder👎). It sits right around 98 inch wheel base.
Really think I want to go with those boat sides.

20220303_195023.jpg