Jeep tj vs. cow

AaronPaige

Well long story short i drove home from work about midnight in the rain and hit a black cow at about 55mph... So not sure if this will become a build forum or what will be in my near future, my hope is to rebuild my jeep with some upgrades well just see what the insurance has to say...

image.jpgimage.jpg

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Where did this happen at? Shouldn't the rancher be paying you?
The only way the rancher pays is if you can show he has not maintained fences and has a history of loose cattle.
http://ag.utah.gov/animal/animal-identification/36-animals/287-auto-livestock-collisions.html
https://asci.uvm.edu/equine/law/fence/ut_fnc.htm
41-6-38. Livestock on highway -- Restrictions -- Collision, action for damages
(1) A person owning or in possession or control of any livestock may not willfully or negligently permit any of the livestock
to stray or remain unaccompanied by a person in charge or control of the livestock upon a highway, both sides of which are adjoined by property which is separated from the highway by a fence, wall, hedge, sidewalk, curb, lawn, or building. This subsection does not apply to range stock drifting onto any highway in going to or returning from their accustomed ranges.

(2) A person may not drive any livestock upon, over, or across any highway during the period from half an hour after sunset to half an hour before sunrise, without keeping a sufficient number of herders with warning lights on continual duty to open the road to permit the passage of vehicles.

(3) In any civil action brought by the owner, operator, or occupant of a motor vehicle or by their personal representatives or assignees, or by the owner of the livestock for damages caused by collision with any domestic animal or animals on a highway, there is no presumption that the collision was due to negligence on behalf of the owner or the person in possession of livestock.

Last edited:

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I couldn't see on my phone that he is in price, most likely an open range...

The above link doesn't say you must prove any past issues.. Simply states that negligence should not be assumed.

AaronPaige

I was on the edge of open range property so I'll see we're it ends up soon, it's a bit worse than the pics show but I think the bigger bumper and winch saved me from getting a cow in my lap, the adjuster was super surprised that the air bag didn't go off, I'm just happy I didn't get hurt to bad for my jeep but it just might open a door for a build...

ID Bronco

Count your blessings! That's why they are called cow catchers out here. I have an acquaintance that hit a cow on open range, not only did he have to pay for the livestock but the unborn calf too! insult to injury?