Jeep Jeep Wrangler based truck (JT Gladiator)

Zombieblaster

They have some big shoes to fill with the 4 door Brute establishing jeep truck design language.

If it ends up like the awkwardly proportioned JK-8 there's going to be an unending amount of "They should have done it like AEV" comments.

Zombieblaster

I realize this is TJ vs. JK, but I think it's a good comparison of AEV imagining a Wrangler based truck vs. Mopar imagining a Wrangler based truck.

I hope the jeep engineers/designers just looked at the JK double cab brute and said, "Let's take the exact same proportions and design cues from this and apply them to the JL Truck"

img_2662.jpg

0710_4wd_01_z+jeep_wrangler_tj_aev_brute+right_side_view.jpg

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I highly doubt it will be a 4 door truck, the JK Brute is completely amazing though! It will be curious to see what they do with the rear suspension, if they stick with coils or run leafs ala JK8 and for better load carrying capacity.

This is sure beautiful! I hope it's a little longer in the cab & bed myself. I read somewhere that it was going to be build on a JKU frame, but no idea how accurate that info is.
attachment.php

DAA

Thought I read somewhere that Jeep said it's going to be based on the next generation Wrangler. Which of course is wide open for speculation itself.

- DAA

Marsh99

Lover of all things Toyota
4 door jeep truck with a hemi and big axles might sale me on a jeep. The price would be more insane then a 4 door Rubicon so maybe I still wouldnt buy.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Thought I read somewhere that Jeep said it's going to be based on the next generation Wrangler. Which of course is wide open for speculation itself.

- DAA

I think you're right... will be interesting to see what those changed will be over the JK. The next model Wrangler is called the JL, IIRC. And the pickup version will be called the JT. I've been trying to find more info on a pickup without much luck, other than what we already know. All-Par has some interesting information, but it's all speculation and artists renderings. - http://www.allpar.com/SUVs/jeep/wrangler/2017.html

And speculation on the truck- http://www.allpar.com/SUVs/jeep/wrangler/future/pickup.html

Allpar’s owner, David Zatz, asked what approach I would take to design a Jeep for the 2017 model year, following Sergio Marchionne’s dictates, and what Chrysler is likely to do.

To maintain production rates and avoid a more serious factory refit, I do not expect any four door pickup, strictly a two door version with some extra space behind the front seats, like a Dakota or MJ Comanche — and not a full “Club Cab,” either. You would probably have about 6-7 inches to allow for a rear crash clearance (to avoid having your head hit the rear glass in a crash).

To clarify, to keep the carriers the same distance apart as when they are holding standard Wranglers, I do not expect the length change which is needed for a four door pickup. This is one of the compromises customers and consumers will have to live with; without an increase in the spacing, there is no room to build a longer vehicle. With an increase, one would have to cut production and/or invest large sums into the plant which would not be justified by expected sales.

In other words, your pickup will be about the size of a Ford Ranger in length, but a little wider — with the passenger room of today's two-door Wrangler, and narrower mirrors and fender flares, and built with a separate bed. The bed would probably not be unitized to the main body for structural reasons.

On the issue of the Jeep J8, with its unique Hotchkiss rear suspension and semi floating Dana 60, I would expect to see the axle changed to a light-duty 60, with the hubs changing back to the older full floating style and a higher rated GVWR link coil package to meet NATO needs. I do not see a version for the US military.

Just like the first and second generation Dakota, you would have around a 1,000 lb payload and up to a 6,000 lb tow rating with a Pentastar V6

I'm guessing it's going to have a 4 door option. Jeep has seen the insane uptick in sales of the jk when they went 4 doors.

That would be really cool, I wouldn't doubt that the 4 door would come out 2-3 yrs after the 2 door pickup, just to drive new sales after the original rollout of the pickup.

4 door jeep truck with a hemi and big axles might sale me on a jeep. The price would be more insane then a 4 door Rubicon so maybe I still wouldnt buy.

I've heard that you'll never see a V8 in a Wrangler from the factory, due to not being able to meet crash ratings. The EcoDiesel 3.0 V6 that is in the Dodge Ram and will supposedly be coming in the Wrangler makes 420 ft/lbs, which is MORE than a GM 6.0 truck/SUV V8 makes... so you'll have V8-like torque with 2x the mileage (21 city / 28 highway) that a V8 would return. I'd rather have the diesel in the Jeep than a V8!

lol, these things are going to be SO trendy the first EJS after they come out.

Much like the LJ when the TJ was getting old... and like the JK when it first came out. Even now during EJS JK's outnumber all other Jeeps 5 to 1, from what I've seen. Jeep is building what the people want, they are very capable and the top comes off. Of course they'll be trendy!

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Much like the LJ when the TJ was getting old... and like the JK when it first came out. Even now during EJS JK's outnumber all other Jeeps 5 to 1, from what I've seen. Jeep is building what the people want, they are very capable and the top comes off. Of course they'll be trendy!

I believe the "J" in EJS stands for "JK" now. It's actually kinda sad that there's not much vehicular diversity anymore but they are good rigs for most people so it makes sense.
#nonJKlivesmatter

What I want to see is another small, unibody truck like they talked about for a while. That would be awesome

kmboren

Recovering XJ owner anonymous
There is a Dr. at my work that has a JKU brute with the hemi. He let me drive it. Man that was fun and nice. It sounds like jeep is finally going to do what AEV has been doing for years. I think they would be stupid to not build the 4 door version.