Jeep Jeep Wrangler based truck (JT Gladiator)

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
about a 5' bed? with most of the bed behind the tire? Dimensions look wonky, it feels like the need to push the rear axle back, give up a little breakover angle for departure. (or go FC style and shorten the hood and push the cab forward).

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I know a lot of people are hating the departure angle, but IMO I think Jeep wanted this to be a usable pickup truck with a bed that was actually capable of hauling stuff. Yeah, it may not fit a sheet of 4x8 plywood with the tailgate up, but it still looks plenty usable. Based on what we saw in the autocad frame dimensions mentioned earlier, the wheelbase will already be 136" (guesstimate) which is damn long, moving the axle back even further would be crazy. If you can't handle the departure angle, get a 2 or 4 door JL.

Based on what we're seeing, the JT Scrambler is going to be a game changer, but if you plan to really wheel one, you'd better be ready to fit 40" tires, about 5-6" of lift, beefy bumpers & sliders and be prepared to deal with the rear overhang and massive wheelbase.

Last edited:
Reactions: DAA

Greg

Admin
For how I'd use it 35's would work. 37's very tempting of course, depending on how the axles fare in use with 37's. Which, by the time I'm a player will all be well sorted out.

- DAA

I'm with you, 35's and 2-3" of lift would get it off the ground and make it capable in the rougher stuff. 37's would give you that much more for the guys that are going to really push it on the rocks. 40's would give it plenty of clearance for the really rough rock crawling trails. Sounds like the next gen Dana 44's are considerably bigger and beefier, but I dislike the use of aluminum on key steering components on the JL... which I'd imagine the JT will also get. Time will tell if they hold up to big tires.

I agree with you on the time thought, I bought my '12 JKU in '15 and the JK had been out since 2008! It was pretty easy to figure out what worked, what needed attention & what fit at that point. It will be interesting to see the JT mods and issues 2-3 years after it's released.

Still, it won't be getting rolled out until 2019.... :eek:

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
For how I'd use it 35's would work. 37's very tempting of course, depending on how the axles fare in use with 37's. Which, by the time I'm a player will all be well sorted out.

- DAA
Just think of how many dead coyotes you could get into a 5' bed! lol

Doing some work on my under construction house the past few weeks has really reminded me of how much I miss having a truck.. The first week I put all my gear in the back of my LX with the middle seats down, this last week I migrated to my dads Tundra and it was SO much nicer. Not that I'll ever have the budget for one of these but I miss my truck(s).

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
My Az House is very near the Chrysler Proving Grounds. I’ve seen a lot of Jeep and Dodge prototypes running around, but nothing JK based. I’ll have to keep my phone handy when I travel.

Did you know Masarati makes an SUV? It’s pretty freaking awesome. I’ll bet it can out accelerate the Hellcat!

Greg

Admin
My Az House is very near the Chrysler Proving Grounds. I’ve seen a lot of Jeep and Dodge prototypes running around, but nothing JK based. I’ll have to keep my phone handy when I travel.

Did you know Masarati makes an SUV? It’s pretty freaking awesome. I’ll bet it can out accelerate the Hellcat!

Yeah, carry the phone/camera at all times! :eek:

I saw a Maserati SUV in Aspen last weekend.... it looked pretty wicked!

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Being a Jeep and a pickup, its not really my flavor (yaknow, I just collect orphan vehicles), but I think this is great. The more options for true 4x4's, the better!

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I shit talk Jeeps the way Jeep owners shit talk side by sides..... But I'm pretty sure I'm going to own this when it comes out.

I'm excited to see what people end up doing to them! I imagine they will be a pretty sweet machine on 37-40"ers. :cool: