Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392 Hemi headed to production!

DonH63

While I don't have personal experience with JL skid plates, I'll stay say to take a look at Artec since they seem to have a ton of offerings.

Thanks, they are on my short list! Artec, Metalcloak, and NVM were highly recommended along with Mountain Road Offroad Enterprises (MORE). MORE is in CO (my home state) and a little cheaper but I'm exploring all options right now. And debating how much I really need, for the trails and peace of mind. I've always had a oil pan skid before and was surprised Jeep didn't put one there stock (did not realize that until recently). Not ready to go full undercarriage yet, and not sure the muffler skid is really needed.

Still in shock at how prices have escalated, though after paying for a 392 XR shouldn't have been... :p

DonH63

Next venture motor sports? Also in your home state with lots of skid options.
Yah, I was lazy and just used "NVM" in my post, sorry. Looking at them as well. They are very pricey, natch, $1k for the muffler skid (still can't decide if that one is really needed), and do not have just the oil pan/xmsn skid alone (unless I missed it, will look again). Their full set ($3.3k) has been highly recommended but I was hoping to not go that far just yet.

Artec and NVM seem to be the leaders for Al and full-under sets, Metalcloak or M.O.R.E. for steel. There a bunch of others but from my limited research to date those seem to be most suggested for build quality and durability. In general, parts seem harder to find for the 392, not really surprising. I like the idea of Al for lower weight, assuming it doesn't crack, but it's 2x~3x the price of steel. Also considering how much I have to pull off if I take it in for an oil change or other work. Pondering. I was going to start with the oil pan but also need to talk more with local groups about needful things. Just getting back in after many years out, and the trail rides keep conflicting with other commitments. Who said you had all the time in the world after retirement? Liars...

Thanks! - Don

Last edited:

DonH63

I really like my JT but STILL lust after a 392. Looks great!
It's not too late! ;)

Of course, after all the doomsday predictions from various dealers, the new ones come stock with the XR package that was mostly unobtanium the past few years, power front seats, bigger display, few other goodies, and (only really important thing IMO) full-floating axles (finally!) But, I can live with mine. :D