Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392 Hemi headed to production!

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin

"The Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392 is headed into production, according to a source inside Jeep. The company has apparently produced 30 V-8 Wrangler prototypes at the Toledo, Ohio Wrangler plant—something our source says would not happen for a one-off concept.

That means we'll likely see a V-8-powered Wrangler Rubicon in Jeep dealerships sometime soon, perhaps making the same 450 hp and 450 lb-ft as the concept shown above. Our source—who told us about the vehicle in detail before Jeep published any information about the Wrangler Rubicon 392 concept—says the V-8 Wrangler will also have Fox internal-bypass racing shocks, like those found on the Gladiator Mojave. Like the concept, the production-bound Jeep will have a lifted suspension with beadlock-capable wheels.

Combined with Rubicon hardware like locking diffs, steel bumpers, and knobby tires, the Wrangler Rubicon 392 will focus more on off-road prowess and power than about street performance. Still, Jeep says the concept Wrangler does 0-60 in under five seconds, mighty swift for a solid-axle 4x4.

A spokesperson for Jeep declined to comment on whether the automaker would typically build 30 examples of a pure concept vehicle, whether it's typical to build concept vehicles on the standard production line, or whether Jeep has plans for a production Wrangler Rubicon 392.

Our source could not speculate as to when the Wrangler 392 would enter production, though they did confirm that the prototypes were built shortly after the plant reopened following the coronavirus shutdown. Pricing information is unknown, but seeing as how an EcoDiesel Wrangler Rubicon will push $60,000, figure that V-8 power won't come cheap."

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
"Oh damn that new Bronco is cool! We better make it look like we're doing something..."
-Jeep

I can't see any plausible way that Jeep would put that much HP in a Wrangler chassis - not a single component on those poor things would hold up.

But, it would sure be fun to rip around in!

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
the ecodiesel puts out 442 lb-ft of torque and they only put dana 44 axles under it... I hope mine hold out when it finally gets here!!! it worries me that the lead foot might destroy the jeep before anything else does!

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin

I can't see any plausible way that Jeep would put that much HP in a Wrangler chassis - not a single component on those poor things would hold up.

But, it would sure be fun to rip around in!

IMO, putting a V8 in the Wrangler (and hopefully the Gladiator) was planned from the get go with the designers and engineers. Have you crawled around the JT and the JL and compared them to the JK? The axles, steering, knuckles, brakes and plenty of the other components are significantly beefed up and compared to the previous model Wrangler. Like almost 2x bigger for the steering, knuckles, etc.

Jeep made a big deal about wider grill slots for better cooling for the Gladiator, saying that it was to help cooling while towing. I'm sure they can use that same JT grill on the V8 Wrangler for added cooling as well. Also, the frame is heat-treated for additional strength, where the JK was not. I think it will hold up just fine. Will you be able to get a V8 in a 2 door Wrangler? No idea there.

At this point there are already 3 engine options, the V8 will be a 4th option. I honestly believe they planned for this updated Jeep to hold up to bigger power and larger engines than previously put into them.

I think that we may see a smaller V8 option for the JL/JT soon enough, like the 5.7 Hemi. I could go for a Gladiator with a factory V8.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
I'm sure the price tag will cause pause for many but the fact that they are putting this engine in the Wrangler platform is a huge step.

I know the JK platform couldn't pass the crash testing with the Hemi in it but if you've had a chance to look at the JL/JT you can see many upgrades that are more than likely contributing to overcoming that obstacle.

The drivetrain is also beefed up considerably from their predecessor but I'm sure there are plenty of people who will test their ruggedness.:rofl:

I would say I wonder how many would pony up for one based on the price tag but there are way too many people willing to sign their lives away these days so I'm sure the market will be strong regardless of the price.

Mike

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
So much for those rumors that a V8 in a JL/JT wouldn't pass a crash test. Glad to see this might actually come to fruition. Hopefully the pricing is reasonable. I've been happy with the 3.6 & 8-speed auto in my gladiator, but a V8 would be something else.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
So much for those rumors that a V8 in a JL/JT wouldn't pass a crash test. Glad to see this might actually come to fruition. Hopefully the pricing is reasonable. I've been happy with the 3.6 & 8-speed auto in my gladiator, but a V8 would be something else.

I hadn't heard those rumors about the crash testing with the JL/JT platform, just the JK platform.

Were the same rumors out there for the JL/JT's? Maybe I've just been tone deaf with the new platform.

As for pricing, define reasonable. Reasonable with most consumers these days is not in their vocabulary. Look at everyone who has to have the newest smart phone or widget when it comes out even though their old one was functioning perfectly. Is that reasonable? I'm sure they can price these things wherever they want and they'll sell in the current market where most consumers don't care about what the bottom dollar is anymore, just how much a month.

Mike

RockChucker

If this does in fact become a reality, I'd wager it is going to put a serious dent in the aftermarket engine swap business. I'd bet that even the premium price jump for the 392 option will still be a fair amount less than buying a 3.6L Jeep and paying $15-25k+ for an aftermarket swap.

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
I hadn't heard those rumors about the crash testing with the JL/JT platform, just the JK platform.

Were the same rumors out there for the JL/JT's? Maybe I've just been tone deaf with the new platform.

As for pricing, define reasonable. Reasonable with most consumers these days is not in their vocabulary. Look at everyone who has to have the newest smart phone or widget when it comes out even though their old one was functioning perfectly. Is that reasonable? I'm sure they can price these things wherever they want and they'll sell in the current market where most consumers don't care about what the bottom dollar is anymore, just how much a month.

Mike

I think you may be right as what I've read is possibly others confusing JK test results as applying to the JL.