Jeeper's 2006 6.0 F350

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I've ridden in and driven the 2016 F350 Lariat. My father in law just bought one about 6 months ago. They are really nice, they are probably faster than the RAM, but reliability still scares me with the new 6.7 Powerstroke. And they want a grip for those.

I got a good deal on this one. It only had 14K miles when I got it. It's basically a brand new truck.

It will be kind of interesting to compare this and my father-in-law's truck over the next few years.

I'm quite curious about that myself. I'd pretty much decided to buy another Ford V10 when I ran across the Dodge I bought. There's good and bad both brands. Honestly, I hope your Ram is great. I just wasn't willing to take another Chrysler product on after the last two. I looked pretty hard at a couple of Chargers.....then remembered they were Dodge. I think the sales guys thought they had a sale on a Ford 6.7L for me on at least three trucks. I got home and just decided there's a VERY complex engine in that truck. Without a SERIOUS warranty, I wasn't interested. Not to mention the cost of the Ford truck.

I'm into my G8 and '98 Dodge for less than I was paying for a 6.7L Ford. It's an odd combo I have but it seems to be working so far. (at least until the cheap GM stuff starts flaking---the '98 Dodge is what it is....cheap, rattle prone, noisy and reasonably reliable (except for the auto trans))

Last edited:

ricsrx

with all this anti Ford going on i cant help but post up.

WANTED: 6.0 FORD F350 Larait LONG BED 4x4.....................DIRT CHEEP, and i mean hit your head with that hammer and drop the Ford in my driveway
PM PLEASE

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
You know it's been a good truck. i've towed a lot with it. it has loads of power. I can't think of a time where I've been towing and wished for more. It has a bigger turbo than stock as well. I just sucks that one stupid o-ring let go and stranded me. Its the first time its let me down in over a year.

I just don't want to work on it. I was going to have someone else do it. But they couldn't get it in until October. So I decided to spend 4 hours of my life fixing it.

I actually prefer the powerband of the powerstroke over the cummins. I like the higher reving V8 diesel for that purpose alone. Loads and loads of power. It's never once overheated on me either. The cooling system once upgraded like mine, is very trouble free.

I think I found the recipe for a good reliable 6.0. I just drove it around and kinda wished I didn't buy the new one. It's a good old truck.

Last edited:

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I think with the complexity of new diesels, you have to take them to a mechanic who specializes in diesels. Simply sloppy work like letting a small amount of dirt into high pressure oil and injection systems will wreak havoc on a new generation diesel. Unfortunately, diesels, diesel parts and diesel maintenance are expensive so lots of people try to cut corners and end up paying for it in the long run.

Like has been mentioned many times in this thread, you can buy a Dmax and not have as many factory flaws to fix but you will pay many thousands of dollars more for the truck. The dodge has a multi thousand dollar high pressure fuel system and many chassis flaws. So buy what you like and pay the price up front, either in purchase price or fixing design errors. Either way, you will pay.

I think if Jeeper had taken this truck to G&R or Industrial or any number of reputable shops in the SLC area, he would have had a very different experience. Now how many people have read this thread and will tell all their friends what a pile 6.0's are when it appears it was an incompetent mechanic all along.

Also, for some reason aftermarket companies cannot seem to duplicate OEM parts for the 6.0. Things like filters are made to such sloppy tolerances that they cause fluids to bypass the filters and cause all sorts of issues. I don't see this as a Ford problem, but it does seem to be very prevalent with the 6.0.

I vote you keep the 6.0 Jeeper. They can be good rigs and you are already into this one a decent amount. Just don't be a tight wad when it comes to fixing/maintaining it. From your own words, that might be a tall order.

Tonkaman

I think with the complexity of new diesels, you have to take them to a mechanic who specializes in diesels. Simply sloppy work like letting a small amount of dirt into high pressure oil and injection systems will wreak havoc on a new generation diesel. Unfortunately, diesels, diesel parts and diesel maintenance are expensive so lots of people try to cut corners and end up paying for it in the long run.

Like has been mentioned many times in this thread, you can buy a Dmax and not have as many factory flaws to fix but you will pay many thousands of dollars more for the truck. The dodge has a multi thousand dollar high pressure fuel system and many chassis flaws. So buy what you like and pay the price up front, either in purchase price or fixing design errors. Either way, you will pay.

I think if Jeeper had taken this truck to G&R or Industrial or any number of reputable shops in the SLC area, he would have had a very different experience. Now how many people have read this thread and will tell all their friends what a pile 6.0's are when it appears it was an incompetent mechanic all along.

Also, for some reason aftermarket companies cannot seem to duplicate OEM parts for the 6.0. Things like filters are made to such sloppy tolerances that they cause fluids to bypass the filters and cause all sorts of issues. I don't see this as a Ford problem, but it does seem to be very prevalent with the 6.0.

I vote you keep the 6.0 Jeeper. They can be good rigs and you are already into this one a decent amount. Just don't be a tight wad when it comes to fixing/maintaining it. From your own words, that might be a tall order.

I completely agree.

KWight

I also vote for keeping it. I have a 2007 with the 6.0 and have owned it for nearly three years and 22,000 miles. I have not had any problems outside of general maintenance on it. If there is something on the engine to be worked on, I take it to the high dollar diesel shop that knows their stuff and can do things right.

If it is a suspension, alignment or simple oil change issue, I take it to my regular mechanic who charges about half of what the diesel shop does.

I am happy with what I have and can foresee putting another 100,000 miles on my truck before I have any big maintenance items to worry about.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I made some progress on the truck yesterday afternoon. I got started about 1:00, and began by replacing the radiator. The fluid was much worse than I thought it would be. There was no separation of fluids, it was all about the color of strawberry milk.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

After getting the radiator done, I pulled the trani pan. Very milky also. I cleaned it up real good, sprayed the bottom of the trans with electrical parts cleaner, replaced the filters (internal and external) and put it all back together.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I filled led the truck with water and a drop of dish soap to help degrease things. Ran until hot and drained. I repeated this 6 times, and saw improvement each time, with the last being nearly clear. Filled with coolant, replaced the coolant filter and drove again. It's a bad pic below, but I think she's clear of contamination :)

image.jpeg

The trani fluid looks better than it did, but is still milky. I imagine I am going to have to flush it several times as well, but at nearly $60 a pop, it might take a few weeks to get it done.

I finished with just enough time before bed to clean the garage enough to get the truck to fit in.

Last edited:

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Instead of doing it the slow way, why not just take it some place and have it hooked up to a transmission flush machine. Will cost you around $120-150 but should get it completely free of the milky oil very quickly.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Instead of doing it the slow way, why not just take it some place and have it hooked up to a transmission flush machine. Will cost you around $120-150 but should get it completely free of the milky oil very quickly.

I guess I thought it would take multiple times this way also..

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
Patience is key. They are a pain to work on.

Make sure to watch dieseltechron on YouTube. Unfortunately he died a few months back. But his videos have helped me out a ton with mine. I used to be scared to work on my Powerstroke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk