Jeeper's Chevy Colorado 2.0

I have been waiting and waiting for the right time to buy another truck. My last Colorado seemed to just keep running, despite the nearly 300,000 miles it had on it. I have been really wanting to buy a new Ford Ranger, and with the 2019 models being on sale it seemed like a good time to look at one. I was less excited about the Ranger after we drove it. It was fine, but not everything I had made it up to be in my mind. I was really hoping for a long bed this go round.. but the Ranger doesn't have that option in a 4 door truck. I was willing to look past this.. but long story short, Larry Miller Ford played too many games when negotiating.
We went over to a Chevy Dealer and tried out the 2019 Colorado. Another long story short, after driving a couple trucks, I preferred the cloth seats and the gas engine.
We did some chatting, and I walked away with a new truck.

IMG_7801.JPGIMG_7802.JPG

It's a v6. Has a rear locker. It has the upgraded 'black out' package.. so I have black emblems instead of gold :rolleyes:

First item for me was to get a topper for it. I work out of the truck and need tools and such to be protected from weather and theft. I had to order a shell, so I made sure to get side access windows this time. I am quite excited to have them this time, and anticipate it being a nice feature.

IMG_8056.JPG

IMG_8058.JPG
IMG_8057.JPG

It took 9 weeks for the dumb shell to come in. I have been dying to get it here so I can start on the other things I want. I have got my bed boxes almost done, and tools loaded. I needed to see how much difference it made on the rear suspension so that I could get the right parts for the lift. With the additional weight on the bed the rear fenders sit exactly 1" higher than the fronts. Looks like I will be adding an add a leaf to the rear that will get me about 1-1.5", and then a 2.5" for the front.

I have a long list of Items that I need, and a few that I want, that will hopefully happen pretty quick.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
MAybe you addressed this in your for sale thread but what got you to buy this over keeping the other one? Was it the miles? Wanting 4 doors ( I can't remember what the other one had...?) Just ready for something newer?

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
MAybe you addressed this in your for sale thread but what got you to buy this over keeping the other one? Was it the miles? Wanting 4 doors ( I can't remember what the other one had...?) Just ready for something newer?

There wasn’t a real need to change. All the excuses I could give you, I would mock if someone gave me.. so basically I made an impulse buy. It’s nature to always want newer and better. I usually don’t give in, but this time I caved to my inner spender.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
300k would be reason enough for me to be honest. My wifes 2002 camry has 215k but still runs fine. She has been talking about getting something new for a few years now and I just tell her to tell me when she is ready and I'll find some options. She hasn't been ready enough though and nothing has changed. Had it been me making that decision I would have had a shiny newer car a couple years ago. I guess the difference is I plan to keep the camry and commute in it and park my LX.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Lift went on today. It gave me 2.75”. The front sits just a tad higher than the front (.25”). I will have to add some sort of mount for the snowplow and winch. I imagine that will bring the front down to be level with the back.
I should probably get some mo bigga tires now, but trumps money is spent... so we’ll have to see how it goes.

52E5020E-F3FD-4789-853A-8A7A39DDC745.jpeg

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I had a very disappointing set back. I have been wanted to have cold mountain dew with me everywhere I go, and was super exited to get my fridge into the back of the truck. However, the shell is too short with the platform in there 😭 . I am unable to see inside the fridge at all with the lid not fully opening. I have to find everything by 'feel'.

IMG_8061.JPG
IMG_8060.JPG

I was going to get over it, and just use the fridge any way. But on the first drive I had to brake hard and my ladder smacked into the side of the fridge and put a gouge in the side :mad:
There are protective covers for the fridge, but I can also buy a cheapo smaller fridge on amazon for the cost of the ARB cover. I am afraid that even with a cover this fridge will be destroyed in short time. I am going to put the ARB back in the big truck where it already has a permanent and safe location. I will buy the cheaper fridge for the back of this truck and consider it as a 'protection plan' for the ARB

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Fridge slide? @frieed has a little one that seems to work pretty well in the back of his truck.

That's a great thought, but I think the fridge has to be at the front of the bed, and accessed through the side window. I would have a hard time setting ladders and big items behind the fridge if it were closer to the tailgate.

Tonkaman

Brian, the cover works pretty darn well. My fridge has lived full time in the bed of my truck for years with zero other protection. We could peel it back and see just how effective it is.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
If all you keep in there is Mtn Dew you don't have to worry about finding things by feel. I am so SMRT

Well, mountain dew is the original need.. but I am sure it will also house a myriad of candy bars and drinks to supply my never ending peanut butter, chocolate and liquid cravings.