Jeeper's Chevy Colorado 2.0

I have been waiting and waiting for the right time to buy another truck. My last Colorado seemed to just keep running, despite the nearly 300,000 miles it had on it. I have been really wanting to buy a new Ford Ranger, and with the 2019 models being on sale it seemed like a good time to look at one. I was less excited about the Ranger after we drove it. It was fine, but not everything I had made it up to be in my mind. I was really hoping for a long bed this go round.. but the Ranger doesn't have that option in a 4 door truck. I was willing to look past this.. but long story short, Larry Miller Ford played too many games when negotiating.
We went over to a Chevy Dealer and tried out the 2019 Colorado. Another long story short, after driving a couple trucks, I preferred the cloth seats and the gas engine.
We did some chatting, and I walked away with a new truck.

IMG_7801.JPGIMG_7802.JPG

It's a v6. Has a rear locker. It has the upgraded 'black out' package.. so I have black emblems instead of gold :rolleyes:

First item for me was to get a topper for it. I work out of the truck and need tools and such to be protected from weather and theft. I had to order a shell, so I made sure to get side access windows this time. I am quite excited to have them this time, and anticipate it being a nice feature.

IMG_8056.JPG

IMG_8058.JPG
IMG_8057.JPG

It took 9 weeks for the dumb shell to come in. I have been dying to get it here so I can start on the other things I want. I have got my bed boxes almost done, and tools loaded. I needed to see how much difference it made on the rear suspension so that I could get the right parts for the lift. With the additional weight on the bed the rear fenders sit exactly 1" higher than the fronts. Looks like I will be adding an add a leaf to the rear that will get me about 1-1.5", and then a 2.5" for the front.

I have a long list of Items that I need, and a few that I want, that will hopefully happen pretty quick.

rholbrook

Whats wrong with being a grandpa? Best job there ever was. As far as tires and wheels, I wish I had all the money I pissed away on 22" wheels and tires over the years. Is there any way to rig up a solar trickle charger and mount it flat on your shell?

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Whats wrong with being a grandpa? Best job there ever was. As far as tires and wheels, I wish I had all the money I pissed away on 22" wheels and tires over the years. Is there any way to rig up a solar trickle charger and mount it flat on your shell?

The money lover in me has already required the spender in me to wait until I wear the current tires out before going bigger and better.

I like the solar charger idea, but the truck is garage parked.. so It would only be good for camping and such.. and I'm sure I will start it often while camping. I do have a jump pack in the truck in case of emergency.. but I've just used the charger in the garage the last couple times.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Context? (maybe I should be in the "press"?)

dirty inside and out from use.

Mom parked next to it when she came to visit, and took a box of stuff home with her. She door smacked my truck getting the box into the car, and they wiggled and shook her car while cramming the box it. Big scratch in my truck. My wife caught the tail end of the situation and moved the door, but was too polite to say anything to my mom. I would have screamed.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Just Incase any body is ever considering buying a shell, and NOT going for the side access widows... don’t be stupid.
I can’t believe how much I use them, and how awesome they are. Today was a 14 hour deck build, and when it came time to go home, I just shoved everything in the truck, and getting it all out was no big deal.
7AF44740-0DD9-4DE0-BE8D-978B8CDC4327.jpegD543F46D-C6C3-4EB3-A259-6F6B424C3FDA.jpeg

Also, I went through 6 mountain dews, and 7 bottles of water today. All were ice cold. It was pretty much the best day of my life.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I picked up a new-to-me 16’ enclosed trailer. The Colorado had a very difficult time stopping it on the way home. I added a tekonsha primus IQ controller today and took it for another drive. It took a minute to get the settings right, but finally got it. The truck towed it well, and stops it well now. Very happy with the set up.

BEE15B7B-492B-47BA-B4A6-BE3603110128.jpeg

One thing I love about the add a leaf lift is that it always seems to hold extra weight well. The truck is not squating at all, and I do not have an equalizer hitch on. I think I will use an equalizer anyway for potential bounce and sway.. but it rides good without it.

Last edited:

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
How many times can you kill a battery before it starts to have real issues? With these August days being so hot I get fewer and fewer hours out of my refrigerator before it kills the battery on the truck. I’m down to about 20 hours of safety, and I keep forgetting that. I bet I have drained my battery 10 time total so far since owning the truck. The fridge seems to run nonstop when it is this hot outside. I think inside the shell it is well over 100 degrees most of the day.