Jeeper's F150 'Ivory'

I wasn't really in the market, but this truck popped into my FB feed, so I bought it. It's a 2008 F150. Basic package, with chrome bumpers. The truck has a bad sputter/misfire. Being as It was less than 1/2 the price of the cheapest comparable truck I could find.. I figured it was worth the risk.
The truck just rolled over 200k on the odo. It has the 5.4L V8. Interior is fairly clean, with typical drivers seat wear.

IMG_1993.JPG

Obviously I have to figure out what is causing the sputter before I can get too far into plans for it.. But I have to decide what I would like to do with it. If I keep It, I have to sell my colorado. In order to use the truck for work I would have to add a shell or utility bed. It is nice to have a little more room inside the cab, and this would be able to pull my larger trailers that the Colorado can't pull, which would also help keep miles and damage off of my F350. However it would also become the truck I would use for offroad use. I am not sure that I want a full size for that.

Decisions decisions.

Last edited:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Someone probably neglected to change the spark plugs, because they are a BEAR to get out on the 5.4 engine. Ford actually makes a tool to make removal (without breaking them) easier. Best thing I heard was to go drive for about an hour, get the engine nice and hot and then park and pull them right away!

Keep us posted on what you find! Any check engine lights?

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Someone probably neglected to change the spark plugs, because they are a BEAR to get out on the 5.4 engine. Ford actually makes a tool to make removal (without breaking them) easier. Best thing I heard was to go drive for about an hour, get the engine nice and hot and then park and pull them right away!

Keep us posted on what you find! Any check engine lights?

The PO paid a shop multiple times to diagnose the issue. It has been a continual problem. They would change the plug and coil per cylinder as a code would trip. Eventually they decided to replace them all at once. The problem would go away for just a month or so after each repair, then return. I have an $800 invoice in the truck for the last service.
Internet is full of people with similar problems. A lot of solutions involve a good cleaning of the spark plug threads, as the carbon build up prevents a good ground between head and plug.

It currently is showing a P0302 (cylinder 2 misfire)

Kevin B.

Big hippy
Misfire on the 5.4 could very easily be a cracked intake manifold. It's plastic and aluminum and they seem to go right around 200k. It's unlikely that a shop wouldn't catch it, but look for coolant in the valley.

dutchman

KI7KSV
Someone probably neglected to change the spark plugs, because they are a BEAR to get out on the 5.4 engine. Ford actually makes a tool to make removal (without breaking them) easier.

I've got the tool if you ever need to borrow it. Also, I'll be watching this thread bc I've got an 06 nearing 200k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I looked around for coolant and didn't see anything. Good thinking kevin. My last f150 was purchased with a cracked manifold and it ran similar.
I will spray some starting fluid around the intake and see if it makes any changes. I figure I will also unplug the coils one at a time while it is running to listen for changes to help identify the cylinders with issues.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
Check out cam and crank sensors. 5.4s had the horrible cam phaser issues as well

ID Bronco

Check out cam and crank sensors. 5.4s had the horrible cam phaser issues as well

Does it idle really low when parked? Does it sound sort of like a diesel? If so it may be the cam phasars. I just had a cam phasar elimination kit put in ours and it runs great now. Maybe have that checked. My son's was about 214K.

rholbrook

Does it idle really low when parked? Does it sound sort of like a diesel? If so it may be the cam phasars. I just had a cam phasar elimination kit put in ours and it runs great now. Maybe have that checked. My son's was about 214K.

Common issue but my understanding if its already been done and still running like this then its time for a motor.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I don't think I have a phaser issue, as there is no knocking or clunking with it. But I have limited experience.

However, I have an invoice for 8 new coils in the truck.
I've got 7 matching coils, and one odd ball coil. When I unplug coils one at a time, the motor will chug harder... every coil except the one that is the oddball. No change on that. It also happens to be on cylinder 2. Which is also the one throwing the code.
It also has a stripped bolt holding it in place.

I can only hope that I am this lucky.

I am assuming 'Lynns auto service and deisel performance' of Murray didn't actually replace coil on cylinder 2.
Anyone have knowledge of this place? Is this something they would do?

Last edited:

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
We used to do a little bit of work with them when I worked nearby. I'd presume off my experience that they wouldn't do that. But I know they bought a lot of aftermarket parts from car quest and O'Reilly. So could still be crappy parts.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Put a coil in it yourself instead of trying to chase down someone else's invoice problem. That sounds like a lot of work and vocal effort (yelling). I'd imagine most labor warranty is non-transferable.

My grumpy old man $0.02

Tonkaman

I don't think I have a phaser issue, as there is no knocking or clunking with it. But I have limited experience.

I don't know much about this issue, but I do know it doesn't have to knock or clunk to be a cam phaser. My buddies truck would just idle so slow it wanted to die. Can phaser fixed it right up

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I finally got around to checking out the truck. I couldn't get anything to bite on the stripped bolt, so I welded my socket to the bolt, and was able to pull it right out.
I replaced the coil on cylinder 2. This made the truck run about 70% better, but it still had a misfire and shook bad when at high speed and low throttle. The code came back again as cylinder 2 misfire.
Next on my list was to do the spark plugs. I thought about doing just cylinder 2, but decided to do them all so that I knew they were all good. I decided I didn't want to deal with the potential head ache, and ran the truck up to Big-O in sandy. I used to work there, and have a good relationship with them. They do all kinds of work, and I highly recommend them if you ever need assistance on a project. They diagnosed a bad injector on cylinder 2. I had them do the injector and 8 plugs. They charged me 3 hours labor, which seemed well worth it to me.
I picked the truck up, and it ran great. The power increase was quite remarkable.

I am going to drive it around for a few weeks now to decide if I want to keep it. I've got to sell either it, or the colorado.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I’ve purchased a fiberglass shell for the truck. It’s a dark blue color, and I’d like to paint it white to match the truck. Any ideas on the best way to do it? I tried buying some auto paint in a spray can for another project and was not happy with it.
I think I will be disappointed with a regular rattle can job.
Would a brush on tractor paint work?
Single stage auto paint out of a sprayer?
Thoughts?

D

Deleted member 12904

Do a single stage auto paint.Text me if you want I'll get you the tools you need to do it right.