Jeepers off-road trailer build

Anchor_Mtn

Work Less, Travel More
Vendor
Ahh yeah that makes sense.

I'm curious how do you design the trailer for 10-15% tongue weight? I understand it has to do with weight distribution in the box, and also box position to the axle. I don't understand how to design it so that those numbers just work

Rough estimate:
1. Ignore the length of the tongue
2. Take total length of the body of the trailer/2 (96"/2=48")
3. Take said measurement and measure from the back of the frame and make a mark.
4. subtract 1" per ft of the body length from that mark (8ft is 48"-8"=40")
5. Make a new line at the new mark and thats a really good starting point.

ANY heavy items that are not permanent should not be mounted behind the axle.
EX: If you wanted to mount a spare tire carrier on the back of the trailer it is easy to compensate for because its always there. If you are going to make a dirt bike tray, mount it on the tongue. Then you wont ever have to worry about a poor handling trailer.

Tonkaman

Rough estimate:
1. Ignore the length of the tongue
2. Take total length of the body of the trailer/2 (96"/2=48")
3. Take said measurement and measure from the back of the frame and make a mark.
4. subtract 1" per ft of the body length from that mark (8ft is 48"-8"=40")
5. Make a new line at the new mark and thats a really good starting point.

ANY heavy items that are not permanent should not be mounted behind the axle.
EX: If you wanted to mount a spare tire carrier on the back of the trailer it is easy to compensate for because its always there. If you are going to make a dirt bike tray, mount it on the tongue. Then you wont ever have to worry about a poor handling trailer.

Excellent breakdown, thank you

Tonkaman

I plan to have a receiver on the rear that can receive my moto hauler, which will make a big difference on tongue weight depending on if the bike is or isn't with me. I think I decided this weekend that there will almost always be a bike o the carrier, so I am going to plan on that additional weight and also change my tail lights to assume the bike is there.

On thing I needed to figure out before this while build go started was whether or not the annex would actually give us enough room for the whole family. I also needed to see how high the tent needed to be for the annex to fit right. So for the first time ever, the annex was pulled from the bag. It made a ton of room, and made my wife see the vision and become excited about the trailer build. That's a big win.

The kids were being their usually rowdy selves as we were setting this up, and we had a short Conversation about selling this tent and buying two small ones so the kids could sleep separate. But after a short deliberation we decided to keep this.

View attachment 109006

Her is how she sits tonight.

I'm curious why you would need to put the bike carrier on. What scenario do you imagine wanting to use this trailer but only 1 motorcycle?

Will the tent be tall enough to accommodate a full size bike underneath it?

What height did you end up needing to accommodate the annex?

rholbrook

I'm curious why you would need to put the bike carrier on. What scenario do you imagine wanting to use this trailer but only 1 motorcycle?

I have looked for some bars that will put a RTT up over a motorcycle. I have looked at all the ones you can buy but you certainly could build yourself one that could be removable. Height to the top of the bars is 52" but that doesn't get you any room above it to make it easier to load and unload. What would be really cool is to be able to raise the RTT a good 12" above the 52", load the bikes and then drop it back to about 54" or so. Thule XSportster models will raise up to 49". If I take two or three bikes, I will toss them in the back of the truck. If I am taking more than that, I pull a trailer. I would prefer to not pull a trailer.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep

The last time we went camping without a dirt bike I decided never again. I just want the option to ride around camp. If it's just a single bike, it will end up being the KE. In reality though, 99% of the time, I will be towing with the flatbed, so I guess the bikes could just go on it.

The bike will be behind the tent.

I have got the height figured out (6'6"ish).. however, the size of tires and such is going to be an issue, as I don't yet know what tires I will be running :(

Caleb

This company is down in Mt. Pleasant, they make a cool (looking) offroad-ish tear drop. Might be good for some ideas. They've had one outside their shop for a while but this last weekend when I was down there, it wasn't there and I saw a Tacoma in town driving around with one. I've never looked at it in person so I can't say if it's quality or not.

http://www.trccamps.com/camp-models/recon/

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Roll it on some 35's for good belly height [emoji106]

I was thinking 44" swampers as a minimum

This company is down in Mt. Pleasant, they make a cool (looking) offroad-ish tear drop. Might be good for some ideas. They've had one outside their shop for a while but this last weekend when I was down there, it wasn't there and I saw a Tacoma in town driving around with one. I've never looked at it in person so I can't say if it's quality or not.

http://www.trccamps.com/camp-models/recon/

Thanks. On thing I am struggling with is how to do my doors. I think that helped with some ideas.

I called and got the metal for my frame picked today. I will probably pick it up Thursday.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Freak. I'm stuck.
I've started on my frame. I have to have the bottom of the RTT at about 6'9". This puts the overall trailer and tent height at about 7'10". The trailer is only 4' wide. I am afraid it is going to look too tall. But more importantly, be too tippy while at speeds and while off-road.
I'm kicking around the idea of telescoping post to lift and lower the tent for camp/travel. But I'm not a big fan of the idea.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Hmm. Also, I bought 3/16 2.5" square tube for my tongue, thinking it would receive the 2" tube for a removable tongue. However, it's very loose and wobbly. The metal store was selling 5/8" wall for hitch stuff..but my math says that is too wide.
Where did I go wrong here?

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
You'll need specific receiver hitch material. It's just shy of 1/4'' wall...from memory, something like .215" wall thickness. And, it will have the welded seam flattened out inside.

Edit: .215" would be too large. I think .238" sounds more like it. Either way, your steel supply place should know what you need. I've gotten it from SSS before.

Last edited:

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
Doesn't you ladder have adjustment for different heights.

When I built my trailer using an M101 trailer. I made the floor height around 6' even. It was pretty stable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I would use camper jacks/stabilizer Jacks to get the tent up to the height you want.

Are you suggesting that I use them to lift the whole trailer up to the right level, or build them into the trailer to just lift the tent section?

- - - Updated - - -

Doesn't you ladder have adjustment for different heights.

When I built my trailer using an M101 trailer. I made the floor height around 6' even. It was pretty stable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, ladder is adjustable, but I'm trying to have the annex hang right.. I don't want it bunched up on the ground.

Tonkaman

Box rocket successfully built a telescoping platform for his tent. Seems like the only tricky part is lowering/raising it without it binding up from the angle

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I have thrown this idea around a lot this year and if I built a trailer it would be an exact copy of Box Rockets. Imitation being the sincerest form of flattery. Although I don't think he has his tent on the telescoping platform anymore. Maybe I am confusing threads though.

Tonkaman

I have thrown this idea around a lot this year and if I built a trailer it would be an exact copy of Box Rockets. Imitation being the sincerest form of flattery. Although I don't think he has his tent on the telescoping platform anymore. Maybe I am confusing threads though.

I don't think he used it for very long. He definitely comes up with some great designs

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I am thinking an electric jack inverted and centered in the trailer.. I could lift the whole tent by a button, and then pin the supports in place once it's up..
thoughts?