Jeepers off-road trailer build

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
That sounds good for the tent, but terrible for carrying stuff in the trailer. (since you'd have a post right in the way of everything...)

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Trailer frame in place.
IMG_1429.JPG

Tongue in place, with receiver for removable hitch
IMG_1432.JPG

I had an axle from an 8' wide trailer, and needed to cut about 3' out of it. I believe I got it welded together straight.. Here's hoping. :)
IMG_1550.JPG

The axle had a 45* angle upward. This is to allow the trailer to sit a little lower. Obviously, this wasn't what I wanted. I flipped the axle so it has a downward 45 angle. The problem with this is that the brackets on the axle are welded to be mounted the other way. You cannot weld on new brackets, as the torsion rubber will melt. I needed to make a bracket to be able to mount it upside down. I got a piece of scrap tube, and notched it to sit around the axle and be welded to the current mount.
IMG_1551.JPGIMG_1552.JPGIMG_1553.JPG

I caught a piece of slag with my finger nail.. It burned through and into my nail bed. It hurt. Someone should invent something to cover hands while welding.
IMG_1555.JPG

I mounted my tires on the wheels, and got them onto the trailer. I bought Goodyear Wrangler Radial tires, with trailmaster mat black wheels. The powder coating on the wheels is very disappointing. Had I seen the wheels before (internet buy) I wouldn't have bought them.

IMG_1556.JPG

The trailer is a roller. (iffin I had a hitch :rolleyes:)
IMG_1557.JPG

Last edited:

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I have all the pieces to weld together one of the $50 triple axis hitches but while I was getting things going welded a ball hitch to some metal and have used that ever since. Its worked out really well on all the trails I've taken it on.